F.A.Cup...Re-play V Luton at Home. Tues 16th Jan 19-45

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: F.A.Cup...Re-play V Luton at Home. Tues 16th Jan 19-45

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:39 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:28 am
Ian wants it.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... up-chance/
The league is the priority of course but we enter every competition to get as far as we possibly can. That hasn’t changed.

I am not going to sacrifice anything. We will give it our all and do our best to achieve what we want to achieve this season.

You have to earn everything in this game and we will find that out over the next few months. I think this squad is capable of matching those targets, though, and we are viewing the FA Cup as a positive. It isn’t a luxury. We are in it to win.

Taking part and all that, great, but I get my kicks from winning football matches, and I think the fans are the same.

Is it possible we win the FA Cup? Unlikely. But we are going to give it all we can and that starts against Luton.
Always reassuring when your manager knows his job.

Could all be for nought after this evening, but hopefully we beat Luton and see some reinforcements show up this week.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:52 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:31 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:37 am
knobpolisher wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:01 pm
Hopefully the forecast potentially snowy conditions don't cause a postponement and add to our fixture congestion
There's plenty of it where I am, around 9 miles from ground...couple of inches at least and it's still falling...
I can’t really see it being called off given the situation we are in but also fitting a game in before the 4th round. Or would they draw straws?

I guess it depends mainly on travel - how safe it is on approaches etc. The pitch won’t be an issue.
I thought I recalled (from maybe the back in time machine during the going bust phase) that the undersoil heating was kaput? Dunno.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:55 am

B team game cancelled, but I guess that we've put out a match day post on Twatter and hour ago is probably a decent sign

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:55 am

My two-penneth:

You have to hold a couple of ideas in your head at once. 1) that from the club's perspective, promotion has to be the number 1 aim. They'd swap a cup run for 2nd in a heartbeat. But also 2) the aim of the game is to win things and glory and wins are why we show up.

I do take the point that "focusing on the league" is no guarantee of success, and I do broadly agree that winning games is a habit and that push on several fronts can be galvanising.

On the other hand, a few extra games is one thing, what we're talking about here is Sat-Tues for months on end, and possibly a four game week. I find it difficult to believe the odds aren't towards that causing us real issues.

So I think it's probably "best for the club" if we have a glorious defeat tonight. But as a fan I hope we batter them!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:42 am

Club statement
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... uton-town/
The club are currently closely monitoring weather forecasts ahead of tonight’s Emirates FA Cup Third Round tie against Luton Town.

At the time of writing and taking predicted forecasts into consideration, the fixture is set to go ahead as scheduled. Grounds staff are now clearing the pitch of snow with shovels and blowers, and areas around the stadium will be gritted ahead of this evening’s match.

Should circumstances change from the above, we will communicate this promptly.

We look forward to welcoming supporters to the Toughsheet Community Stadium later today.

With nearly 10,000 tickets sold for tonight’s cup clash, tickets remain on sale until kick-off.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:56 am

Can't find this broadcast anywhere. Anyone know a channel that's it's on?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:58 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:56 am
Can't find this broadcast anywhere. Anyone know a channel that's it's on?
My understanding from other posts, was that it's not being broadcast - but dunno...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:16 pm

Just a point that someone made about us having weather issues in he past: Wasn't it Big Sam who claimed the undersoil heating had packed up just before a game? I seem to remember that causing some questions at the time?

On the win or lose question: Football is a competitive sport and unless you are going in with a "want to win" attitude, why bother playing at all or even entering? If we're not concerned at the possibility of losing, we might as well just play opponents at darts in the comfort of the hotel, or have a husky sled race down Winter Hill as a home fixture.

Will Luton travel up today, or were they here overnight?...

COME ON YOU WHITES....
...... :oyea: :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:02 pm

Yeah there isn’t a binary ‘lose game’ option. I think everyone wants to win tonight. But we should be protecting some of our players for Saturday. That’s how I view it. If we win it’s another money spinner. But if we don’t it’s not the end of the world.

If Charles for example plays and is injured the cost of an adequate replacement to sustain our league chances would be far in excess of any moneys we’d receive from a cup run. We have to balance the realities that we aren’t Manchester city. We are broke and trying desperately to grow the club which means now promotion, and the extra TV money,

You can’t compete in a vacuum and the cup right now is of a lesser importance than the league as Evatt indeed has said. So we just have to keep that in mind. I think he picked the right team for Accrington and for me it would be a similarish one tonight. Certainly wouldn’t risk any key players who have knocks or tightness or whatever.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:07 pm

Yeah, but I think when folks say put out a team to win, they're sort of assuming that if someone had a knock or tightness, that would factor in their decision making.

Obviously you can't account that someone in great shape might get a leg-breaker during the game...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:08 pm

I can’t see Williams being risked for example. Might be another good opportunity to get minutes into Ashworth?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:18 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:08 pm
I can’t see Williams being risked for example. Might be another good opportunity to get minutes into Ashworth?
If Randell's not ready, it wuld be a big call to pick Ashworth over Iredale - but that's sort of the point I've been making...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:17 pm

Can't see this on any channels worldwide so the couch will be unavailable tonight. Might respring it.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:21 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:17 pm
Can't see this on any channels worldwide so the couch will be unavailable tonight. Might respring it.
Is this inaccurate then?

https://www.livesoccertv.com/match/4871 ... uton-town/

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:37 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:21 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:17 pm
Is this inaccurate then?

https://www.livesoccertv.com/match/4871 ... uton-town/
Sadly yes, If you follow the links none of them have Bolton v Luton on their schedules.

Bristol v West Ham is being shown on most.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:31 pm

A freezin, snow bound night with a raging fire in the hearth, might have to resort to a transistor radio...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:31 pm
A freezin, snow bound night with a raging fire in the hearth, might have to resort to a transistor radio...
I'm considering paying to listen to Derek, but I don't think you can get a match pass - you have to pay £5 for a monthly Wanderers TV pass...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:48 pm

Ashworth and Tomo in, two kiddies on the bench.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:59 pm

Ashworth starts. Now there's a surprise. I'm out for the evening so will have to pop in when I can. COYWM!
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:45 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:31 pm
I'm considering paying to listen to Derek, but I don't think you can get a match pass - you have to pay £5 for a monthly Wanderers TV pass...
I can stick the Radio on in the couch room if you would like to listen?