Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:21 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:50 am
If I were Markham I'd be onto Utd about getting Brandon William's loan transferred here from Ipswich. He's not gone there to sit on the bench and we could offer him a lot of football in a role that'd suit him. He'd also rip up this division.
Would surely be a retrograde move for a player who was first named in a United first-team squad in 2019 and has never been loaned out below second-tier level (in fact below first-tier level until this season). So it might suit us but probably not the player or loaning club.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:50 am

I couldn't begin to find a minus or pessimistic comment on the team last night. They were really superb and it's such a shame we should lose to a disputed goal. Not the least in the praise scale goes to Vic up front, he was immense as were the rest.

Football can be really cruel on the fans. Just as we're seeing the benefits of the results of the hard work involved in forming a good side/squad, thoughts immediately turn to how much players will/can bring in the cattle market. No use denying it, monetary value rules the game. In the event of this happening I sincerely hope that any bids on our finest will have to be realistic and remembering the team/squad is what the fans want, not just a bank balance. The cup games turn many eyes in the direction of sales, transfers and loans that can soon tear a good side to ribbons. Fingers crossed we come out with what we deserve. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:51 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:21 am
Would surely be a retrograde move for a player who was first named in a United first-team squad in 2019 and has never been loaned out below second-tier level (in fact below first-tier level until this season). So it might suit us but probably not the player or loaning club.
The player needs to build a career. He's been grossly overpaid by Utd, but has almost no rep left to trade on. When his deal expires in the summer he needs something to show clubs and 6 months of mediocrity at Ipswich was not the plan.

Given that he's essentially "what if Conor Bradley's career goes wrong?" made manifest, we should definitely have an ask.

Utd can't get him out before the summer unless they pay him up. Nobody will take on that wage. Ipswich pay a relatively minor percentage. We could make it work financially.

He may well have what he sees as better options, but were I his advisor I'm not sure I could find him a better club.

He needs us as much as we need him - unless the Saudis fancy it.

There is 100% a player there, if he wants to be one. If not he'll be Declan John in a couple of years.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:57 am

He started very well at Ipswich tbf and has fallen off/out of favour. Think there may be other champo clubs keen, but you don't ask you don't get...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:05 am

Brandon Williams would surely expect to be first choice here right from the get go, and given we know it often takes players a while to get up to speed with our system, that doesn't seem like the most natural fit to me.

We need someone who's happy to be a utility reserve player, not someone who's going to upset the applecart and potentially damage the nice squad balance we have currently.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:16 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:51 am
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:21 am
The player needs to build a career. He's been grossly overpaid by Utd, but has almost no rep left to trade on. When his deal expires in the summer he needs something to show clubs and 6 months of mediocrity at Ipswich was not the plan.

Given that he's essentially "what if Conor Bradley's career goes wrong?" made manifest, we should definitely have an ask.

Utd can't get him out before the summer unless they pay him up. Nobody will take on that wage. Ipswich pay a relatively minor percentage. We could make it work financially.

He may well have what he sees as better options, but were I his advisor I'm not sure I could find him a better club.

He needs us as much as we need him - unless the Saudis fancy it.

There is 100% a player there, if he wants to be one. If not he'll be Declan John in a couple of years.
You build a fine case, sir, as usual. But I put it to you that it is entirely contingent upon the player himself realising the cold waters of oblivion lapping against his toes. I don't know him personally but very many formerly fêted academy geniuses who have been in his shoes have come over all King Cnut. The situation is rarely helped by advisers watching their golden goose wither and die.

If he comes, all good, but I wouldn't be putting the kettle on yet.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:22 am

Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:16 am
I don't know him personally but very many formerly fêted academy geniuses who have been in his shoes have come over all King Cnut.
I believe his rep with some would only include the word "cnut" if the person asked were dyslexic.

He has certainly not ingratiated himself at all times and in all places. However, the same is true of Barkley and many others.

I don't pretend any such deal would be simple. It's take a lot of graft and the player (and his reps) would need to be sold on it. However, I'd have asked.

That being said, I'd have also asked about a good few others. Most of the job at lower levels is rejection. It's a numbers game and then it's sales.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:32 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:22 am
That being said, I'd have also asked about a good few others. Most of the job at lower levels is rejection. It's a numbers game and then it's sales.
Yep - as with applying for jobs, it's a volume thing. if you don't ask, you don't get.

The Evatt-Markham system appears to be
• identify the right talent with the right skillset in the right area (and with the right attitude)
• approach the best person for the job
• if not available, decide whether to go for Target No.2 or wait.

However, you imagine these goals have to constantly shift - notably with our progression, but also with player development, club contracts etc. In summer 2021, when we'd just escaped the Fourth Division and he was being loaned to a Premier League club, Brandon Williams would have been a pipe dream. Now he might be a long shot, but sometimes they come off.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:47 am

Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:32 am
Now he might be a long shot, but sometimes they come off.
I think I'd suggest Baxter was a longer shot, given that he had concrete offers at a considerable whack.

Sometimes you just have to tilt at it and see.

It might well be that he'd be the wrong character for the group anyway. I've heard positive things from one guy and negative from another, so I've no clue what Evatt would make of him of a person. I fancy he'd make a Premier League wingback of the player, though.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:53 am

Cnut being done a typical dirty - the point of that story is he has exactly the self-awareness we're hoping the young Rag has!

Wonder what he's up to these days...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:04 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:53 am
Cnut being done a typical dirty - the point of that story is he has exactly the self-awareness we're hoping the young Rag has!

I apologise to the invading Viking slaughterer :D

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:06 pm

Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:04 pm
Prufrock wrote:

I wonder what a certain Mr Tofting is up to these days? 🤔
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:08 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:06 pm
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:04 pm
Prufrock wrote:

I wonder what a certain Mr Tofting is up to these days? 🤔
Heh! I assume he (unlike Bluetooth's grandson) came here by invitation... although who knows.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:25 pm

Doesn't think it will include a buy option, but we can cross that bridge etc

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:24 pm

Haven't seen much of him but he looked quality when he did. Hopefully the injury hasn't ruined him. Makes sense as cover for Dan though. And he must have had something about him to be keeping Ryan Hardie out of the team at the start of last year

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:48 pm

I suspect that Mr Nixon is taking in IE's comments re progress being made and putting two and two together which lets face it is not rocket science ( but what is except rocket science itself).
Until I see the famous PSG ...........
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:24 pm
Haven't seen much of him but he looked quality when he did. Hopefully the injury hasn't ruined him. Makes sense as cover for Dan though. And he must have had something about him to be keeping Ryan Hardie out of the team at the start of last year
All signings are hostage to fortune but it makes sense all round.

For us, it's a pacy striker who did very well last season in this division (with literally half his league appearances as sub).

For him, he needs to get back on his game through regular minutes (but as a sub, not 90 x3 games per week).

For Blackburn, we're a very local club (but not (yet) a rival) playing good football and highly likely to play him.

Azitbindun, etc

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:18 pm

Cole stocktons stock has plummeted…barrow on loan.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:01 pm

Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:52 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:24 pm
All signings are hostage to fortune but it makes sense all round.

For us, it's a pacy striker who did very well last season in this division (with literally half his league appearances as sub).

For him, he needs to get back on his game through regular minutes (but as a sub, not 90 x3 games per week).

For Blackburn, we're a very local club (but not (yet) a rival) playing good football and highly likely to play him.

Azitbindun, etc
I'm hoping we'll get the Plymouth version, not the Blackburn version :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:58 pm

Tomorrows headline in Bolton News is ‘Whites squad hit by illness and injury’.

Super. Going to need a fair few in I feel.