The Nostradamus file....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Nostradamus file....

Post by The_Gun » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:42 pm

So Ferguson has said he's going to completely rest his first team tonight, I guess with the intention of playing them in their game vs us. That could play into our hands somewhat, as we could do with a Cheltenham victory and a Cambridge defeat tonight to maximise, our still slim, chances of going up automatically.

Edit: Hang on, it's Carlisle that Derby are playing, not Cambridge.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 pm

If they lose tonight they would need to beat us by 3 goals to finish above us.

So though you'd expect them to go stronger against us it sounds like he basically doesn't care if they finish 3rd or 4th so doubt they'll be taking any risks against us.

Going to basically be a friendly.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 pm

So though you'd expect them to go stronger against us it sounds like he basically doesn't care if they finish 3rd or 4th so doubt they'll be taking any risks against us.

I can see the merits of his approach. Given we have very little chance of going up automatically, perhaps the smart move would be for us to also avoid taking any risks with players on Saturday?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 pm

I’d say this. Who knows whether 3rd or 4th is best? It could be either. And frankly the biggest thing is having a fully fit and raring to go squad. So it’s about low risk imo. For both sides. We need to get players firing like Charles. But there is an argument to rest Collins who is key and not risk him. Equally he and Charles would benefit from time together. Maybe 45 mins for Collins then take him off.

Evatt has said santos needs a game so that seems like he will play.

I’d not risk Sheehan, Maghoma or Thomason. Pointless to do so.

I’d let Jones play maybe and rest JDC. Williams could do with game time.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:29 am

Very interesting last night seeing Peterborough lose 2 0 with a very weakened side. Apparently 7 changes from the weekend , almost handing Cheltenham the match. If I supported a team in the relegation battle I wouldn't be impressed with Posh doing that. This makes Saturdays match meaningless for posh they are clearly happy with finishing 4th.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:01 am

^^ the gobbledegook just meant that the teraflop drive had suffered a Err:2071 and it's AI module requested it made crumpets. Hope that clears it up.

I'm a bit torn with this one. Half of me says people would have this final set of games as "must win" we're they occurring in Feb/March. We'd be looking for a 3-0 win and hoping Carlisle managed a turn over.

Last week I was in favour of strongest team, without being stupid (which we did). I think Ferguson's equation last night was different as they'd have needed a 7 goal swing to catch us, then a Carlisle win and another 4 goal swing.

We current need a Carlisle win and a three goal swing. About the only thing you could cling to is their away form is better than their home form. (Not by much) in terms of wins.

I think we need a team we feel is decent enough to get a win, but I'd look hard at folks who might need a rest.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

The EFL website now lists the first leg of the third vs sixth playoff tie being scheduled for Saturday May 4th at 3pm. Isn't that quite unlikely, given Sky wouldn't be able to broadcast it at that time?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:35 am

Whatever decision Evatt makes will be the wrong one, unless we go up, by some miracle..

If we go weaker and Derby lose, he'll get panned
If we go full strength and Derby win, he'll get panned
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:49 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:35 am
Whatever decision Evatt makes will be the wrong one, unless we go up, by some miracle..

Automatic promotion is a 100/1 shot, so I think it's pretty clear that the right decision is to not take any risks with players who aren't 100% fit.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:52 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:49 am
boltonboris wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:35 am

Automatic promotion is a 100/1 shot, so I think it's pretty clear that the right decision is to not take any risks with players who aren't 100% fit.
Pretty clear to you, to me, and to the rest of us with at least half a working brain cell. To the gammons on Twitter and the BN comments...? Not so much.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:38 pm

I gotta say (in a non-gammon way), that we'd be absolutely gutted if Derby lost and we didn't get what we needed after playing a weak side. If I were resting a few - and I'm not against resting some who might be tired/carrying niggles, I might want to keep them in close proximity to the bench, on the off-chance that a favourable score filtered through and we wanted to try and change it up a gear.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:57 pm

We'll have a week before our first playoff game, so we should put out the best team we can comprised of players who are fully fit. If important players are carrying knocks or need additional rest then don't play them.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:52 pm

Posh got a shock last night, just proving anything can happen in this crazy game. Keep the faith and hope for the best. :oyea:

ae:)

Here'a a Super Keve :davies: to help us along... :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:11 pm

Aye, had a week off, got a week off afterwards. Play the strongest team without taking any risks. If Derby are 3-0 up at half time you can always take people off then.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:27 pm

Yeah, strongest XI with no major injury risks for me. Which is what I think he will do. Half time subs for the inevitable derby lead.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:38 pm
I gotta say (in a non-gammon way), that we'd be absolutely gutted if Derby lost and we didn't get what we needed after playing a weak side. If I were resting a few - and I'm not against resting some who might be tired/carrying niggles, I might want to keep them in close proximity to the bench, on the off-chance that a favourable score filtered through and we wanted to try and change it up a gear.
Or start with the strongest, and change it down a gear with 5 subs if Derby are comfortable
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:06 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Or start with the strongest, and change it down a gear with 5 subs if Derby are comfortable
Or win 6-0 Saturday and not need to play any further games till pre-season....Quizas.... :wink:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:06 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Or win 6-0 Saturday and not need to play any further games till pre-season....Quizas.... :wink:

ae:) ae:)
Wouldn’t matter if we won 100-0 if Derby don’t lose.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:46 pm

Will Posh show their hand ? I doubt they will be playing their strongest and maybe instructions will be to get at Collins. Sheehan. Maghoma and Santos (if he plays) and soften them up (or injure them) for the play-offs. Also, if we play our strongest, they will assess.. ok, Bolton has put their best out there... no worries, from what we see, we can handle them...etc..

I would keep them guessing, not showing our hand. Don't put out our best team. Auto's have long gone. We go for the play-off prize.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:38 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Yeah, either way, mate.