So....Who's staying and who's going?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Will you be renewing your ST for next season?

Nope - we've been garbage all season and I've had my fill....
2%
Not sure - not been than impressed but its MY seat after all....
9%
Of course I bloody will - what kind of a fan do ya think I am? eh?
41%
Don't have a ST due to location / job / wife...
48%

Total votes: 46

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

So....Who's staying and who's going?

Post by Bench » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:19 pm

I've noticed on other sites (Rivals, BB, WWays) that there are a number of polls and threads attempting to determine who, if anyone, is actually determined not to renew their ST's for next season.

There have been a fair few rumblings over recent months and disquiet in the halls of TW and other Bolton websites. It appears that many have become disgruntled with the performances dished out at the Reebok this season, and for some the final straw has been placed on the camel's back when it comes to lack of funding, depleted squad numbers or lack of drive/determination/ambition in the transfer window.

One or two have declared that they do not intent to renew their pledge to BWFC by procuring a ST. Some have intimated that they know people who won't. Others have declared that, come what may, they will still be here next season and the season after that - through thick and thin regardless etc etc.

So which are you? Are you wavering? Not sure? If not - why not? The floor is yours....
Smarties have answers.....

perfan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by perfan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:20 pm

I will. But then I don't have to pay for it.

Albert Tatlock's Dad
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Albert Tatlock's Dad » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:26 pm

How anybody can be disgruntled, I will never know.

Having watched since the sixties, I enjoy the football more than ever. The board have got it spot on by placing the financial stability of the club first. It's the only way to operate. We'll never have money to burn because we don't have a sugar daddy.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:28 pm

I will be renewing, but it looks as though I'll be moving on a Bosman from the West Upper to the East Upper.

Bench - Another option might have been 'Who's moving to a less expensive part of the ground'. Just to give an idea of how many people are finding themselves having to balance unstinting loyalty with disposable income issues!
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:29 pm

I'd get one if geography and finances wasn't a factor.

And the club will still get plenty season tickets sold close season in any case. The only time those that leave aren't replaced is when relegation has taken place.

Those that choose entertainment and style as their reason for not going have got their priorities wrong, IMHO.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:29 pm

Albert Tatlock's Dad wrote:How anybody can be disgruntled, I will never know.

Having watched since the sixties, I enjoy the football more than ever. The board have got it spot on by placing the financial stability of the club first. It's the only way to operate. We'll never have money to burn because we don't have a sugar daddy.
Personally, I've no issue with that ATD. Stability has been our main aim for the past few season - well, since we gained promotion in fact. If I am at all disgruntled, its down to the level of performance we have turned out this season. In the Negativity thread I think we could only identify about 10 or 12 games that had actually been thoroughly entertaining. Less than a third of our games is hardly a good return is it?
Smarties have answers.....

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:30 pm

if i had one, i would definitely be renewing it.but i dont have one :)

I am however beginning to consider getting one again, but have yet to give it any serious thought, and with so much to pay for this year, i think i will stick to my current option of being a club member
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:59 pm

I’ll be renewing. I thought about not doing so after that awful performance against Birmingham, and I’ll bet that I wasn’t alone. Like many, I’ve been disappointed with the quality of football for most of this season, especially given the squad that we have now, but it helps to get things into perspective.

Despite lacking cover in key positions, fixture congestion, a number of long term injuries and players disappearing to Africa for two months, we’re still in with an outside chance of European football.

BWFC is soundly run, even if there are some faults, and unlike most other clubs we have a long term plan which is coming together nicely. A good way to screw that up would be to deprive the club of income by not renewing.

Apart from that I have a good seat which allows me to give the finger to the press box and be seen by them.

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:06 pm

I shalln't be renewing next season, only because I doubt I'll be able to get away with a junior ticket again all season (I'm a poor college student, can't afford £300+ and not working at the weekends). If I could afford it though, I'd definatly renew mine, despite the dross I've had to put up with this season.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:00 pm

I'd get a Season Ticket in a flash if I wasn't in the Smoke. I think I get good value from my membership however.

I've seen all of our most soul destroying away performances this season and made some grim journeys home, but you have to take the rough with the smooth. You can't rationalise watching football on the basis of individual games - you have to be in it for the long run.

fanz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by fanz » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:37 pm

You can take an educated guess at what I voted for! Whilst even I would think it was harsh to say we had been shite all season I think we have been less than entertaining for the majority of it.

Personally I just don't get the buzz on match days like I used to, all week used to be geared towards 3pm Saturday, meeting mates, having a few beers, discussing what the best line up would be and how best we might approach the game. It's all gone, all the talking is done on forums like this now, the game is more often than not either 12:45pm or 5:15pm kick off (WTF?) .SKY are not concerned with peoples family life, they are the dictator's and can change kick offs at the drop of a hat. I'm not discussing what the board don't do as I've said it a million times and it's boring

Allardyce is very negative, just the way he talks about the game is draining now. His substiturtions are pathetic, especially when we are chasing a game and he has no plan B which has has been said many times
When you can't raise an atmosphere against Manchester Utd at home there is something seriously wrong. There was more atmosphere with 10000 on Burnden against Bury than there was against Utd a few weeks back and that is ridiculous.

So to conclude, no, Garty won't be getting his hands on my £500 this year to pump into a hotel, offices for Reebok or a youth academy. When the club start realising that they need fans instead of continually shitting on them I might come back.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:57 pm

fanz wrote:You can take an educated guess at what I voted for! Whilst even I would think it was harsh to say we had been shite all season I think we have been less than entertaining for the majority of it.

Personally I just don't get the buzz on match days like I used to, all week used to be geared towards 3pm Saturday, meeting mates, having a few beers, discussing what the best line up would be and how best we might approach the game. It's all gone, all the talking is done on forums like this now, the game is more often than not either 12:45pm or 5:15pm kick off (WTF?) .SKY are not concerned with peoples family life, they are the dictator's and can change kick offs at the drop of a hat. I'm not discussing what the board don't do as I've said it a million times and it's boring

Allardyce is very negative, just the way he talks about the game is draining now. His substiturtions are pathetic, especially when we are chasing a game and he has no plan B which has has been said many times
When you can't raise an atmosphere against Manchester Utd at home there is something seriously wrong. There was more atmosphere with 10000 on Burnden against Bury than there was against Utd a few weeks back and that is ridiculous.

So to conclude, no, Garty won't be getting his hands on my £500 this year to pump into a hotel, offices for Reebok or a youth academy. When the club start realising that they need fans instead of continually shitting on them I might come back.
Now this I agree with!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:27 pm

I'll be renewing. After 14 years of geography and work patterns making a season ticket unfeasible, this has been my first season with a season ticket. I've loved it - I think I'm really lucky to have the chance to get to games. I would renew the ST whatever.
A more considered judge might be my girlfriend. Although she's lived here a few years, she's not a Bolton lass and has never been hugely into football, so the Wanderers have to work a bit harder to retain her custom. She's had a season ticket this year as well (thus thwarting my plan to get a couple of hours peace each week), and she'll renew as well. As stated by a number of posters, I think this indicates that this "entertainment" argument isn't as compelling as some might think. There's more to going to a match than the standard or style of football on offer. And remember, there are two teams in every game - if a game is deemed to be dull, why is it assumed that it's Bolton who have caused it to be dull? I often hear Charlton cited as "an attractive team", "play the right kind of football", blah, blah, blah. Six out of their last nine games have finished 0-0.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:59 pm

After 10 years with a ST including a year travelling from Preston each week, 1 year from Stoke, and 4 years from Gloucester, I am undecided.

This is the first year i have not been excited on a Saturday morning.

The cost to me is £35 per home game for petrol. This is on top of the £400 ST (adds up to over a grand).

It has become habit perhaps. Sky silly kick offs, the farce formerly known as British Rail, the worse farce known as the M6 are all factors.

If my mate gets one, I will probably do so again, but if he declines, I might decide to stop.

I would spend the same on football, probably going to many more away games (better atmosphere and no Reebok car park problems). I would pick and choose home games that are actually on Saturdays at 3pm.

The other main factor is that as a fan I want to win something. The Premiership, we can NEVER win. The Cups, we can. I would much rather watch cup games if Sam treats them with more respect.

Tough call

Albert Tatlock's Dad
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Albert Tatlock's Dad » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:09 pm

fanz wrote:You can take an educated guess at what I voted for! Whilst even I would think it was harsh to say we had been shite all season I think we have been less than entertaining for the majority of it.

I disagree.

The club is well run and I can't see why you think that the board don't treat you properly.

They are ensuring that there is a club for you to support in the future. For someone who sponsored John McGovern to run a marathon just to keep the club afloat, I'm happy with the priorities of the club. In particular, I'm excited that the youth academy is taking centre stage. We probably have more ex-academy players in our first team squad than half the teams in the Prem.

To be honest, you show a poor attitude towards the club and I'm sure Sam, Gartside and the players won't lose sleep over you.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:33 pm

To be honest, you show a poor attitude towards the club and I'm sure Sam, Gartside and the players won't lose sleep over you.
:roll: like they give a flying feck about any of us or our views.. cup final tickets anyone...

Ok Fanz is somewhat extreme at times.. but as far as I can see....
The bloke wants to see us fulfill the potential we have shown and challenge for a trophy and he'd like to be entertained and excited about his football.. As would I. That is not unreasonable for £400 a season and a couple of replica shirts..
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:53 pm

Don't have a ST due to location and finance but I'll go to a similar, possibly increased number of games next season. Although it's giving money to other clubs I will probably go to more aways and less homes because I've had enough of the Americanisation at the Reebok and we often need the support.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

White Army
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by White Army » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:48 pm

Job dictates that i can't have a season ticket, but definitely would do otherwise.

I've seen far more attractive football during my time as a wanderer, but have never seen any as successful. :)
Halliwell Mile done 228 times.

Apathy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Apathy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:59 pm

I'll be renewing, as I just can't help myself.

I am cosidering moving seats to a family stand, so that I can take advantage of getting my nephew a season ticket for just £21 extra to what I pay now in the ESL; Although it is well worth the money, it just means that I will never see a friend of 20 years ever again (I only see him at the match) unless I can persuade him to move as well. Does anyone know if there are many seats available in the WSL family stand?

Bench, will you be renewing next season?
If so will you be purchasing 1 or 2 tickets? :P

Oh BTW happy first birthday to your Jacob last week. I meant to send a card but you know how it is (I am male)

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:49 am

I would love to have a season ticket but my wife would not be happy if I spent our hard earned Pension on flights every second week from Australia to England just to watch the team play. Also I couldn't cope with the constant jet lag, I already have too many "Senior Moments" of not knowing where I am or where I'm going to make it any worse by wandering around aimlessley in airports just like Tom Hanks did in the recent film The Terminal.

Perhaps Bolton could open a Franchise Team here in Perth and play in the new A League, they would have a chance of winning it if they sent all the bench warmers, i.e. Borgetti and co, to play in Oz. Per chance to dream!

Does anyone know if Bolton will be going to Thailand again in July to defend their Asia Premiership Trophy, as its the only one they have won for many years.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED