Tooling up: The summer 2024 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tooling up: The summer 2024 transfer thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 10, 2024 4:27 pm

He'd have 'proven himself' unable to get out of this division... not sure it would create a queue at the door.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 1:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 4:27 pm
He'd have 'proven himself' unable to get out of this division... not sure it would create a queue at the door.
Yeah, but he'll have admirers.

If we don't go up we are almost certain to lose key players and may require a genuine rebuild. I'm really not sure Evatt will fancy it.

If that were the case, it'd be best he went. The manager has to be the most committed man in the building or you're dead before you start.

IE clearly has issues that he deals with through the "Jesus take the wheel" and "my saviour chose me" stuff, so maybe those have just got the better of him a bit recently.

A 100% committed Evatt I'll happily keep as manager in either division. Especially with a full season of Collins.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 1:59 pm

First "proper" rumour of the summer is George Byers, who just left Sheff Weds on a free after a loan at Blackpool.

A midfielder who used to play in Swans' U23s with Josh Sheehan. Quite a few games in the Championship, but with a history of niggly injuries. Played a major part for Wednesday in League One.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat May 11, 2024 2:53 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 1:59 pm
First "proper" rumour of the summer is George Byers, who just left Sheff Weds on a free after a loan at Blackpool.

A midfielder who used to play in Swans' U23s with Josh Sheehan. Quite a few games in the Championship, but with a history of niggly injuries. Played a major part for Wednesday in League One.
What type of midfielder is he Ghost?

Welcome back btw :)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 3:13 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:53 pm

Thomason sort, I suppose.

Really committed, runs all day and technically solid. Particularly good in the box on attacking set pieces. Easy to like. Fans never seem to have a bad word to say about him and he's popular with staff/players. Has a rep for setting standards in training.

Cheers for the welcome back.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat May 11, 2024 3:23 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:13 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:53 pm

Thomason sort, I suppose.

Really committed, runs all day and technically solid. Particularly good in the box on attacking set pieces. Easy to like. Fans never seem to have a bad word to say about him and he's popular with staff/players. Has a rep for setting standards in training.

Cheers for the welcome back.
Sounds useful, especially when Thomason is suspended!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 3:43 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:23 pm
Sounds useful, especially when Thomason is suspended!
Presumably Paris is the #1 target in midfield.

Sheehan is player of the year and everyone else is under a long contract.

So I suppose it depends on whether Evatt feels that department is strong enough as is and just needs a reliable Championship player, or if he thinks it needs a big boost. Strongly suspect that if we land Paris it's the former and not the latter.

If, as the song goes, "We have Paris, Sheehan and Thommo" they'll start...then if there's Dempsey, Morley, plus someone who knows the division and can be counted on we should be okay.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 11, 2024 3:54 pm

Lovely to have you back, Ghost.

I was thinking this morning that as it stands, we have four midfielders next season - Sheehan, Thomo, Dempsey and Morley. I assume we'll go for Paris if possible, but that still leaves space for one more. Could be Byers. Just hope we don't get... wait for it... Byers remorse.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 4:16 pm

Sat May 11, 2024 3:54 pm
Lovely to have you back, Ghost.

I was thinking this morning that as it stands, we have four midfielders next season - Sheehan, Thomo, Dempsey and Morley. I assume we'll go for Paris if possible, but that still leaves space for one more. Could be Byers. Just hope we don't get... wait for it... Byers remorse.
:lol:

Just seems like a very sensible transfer, but may be one we want if we don't go up. Or could be completely invented, who knows?

If we keep Paris you're not going to want to have him or Thomason sat on the bench too much, as they could be worth millions to us. Sheehan is vital to how we play and he's got Morley behind him who we've contracted to 2027. Then you've got the experience of Dempsey.

So what you're after is another experienced lad who won't demand to start every game, but who when he plays will be bombproof. That seems like Byers all over. Good enough to start games regularly if needed, but ideally "an option."

If you had those lads and CMG as the utility player between attack and midfield you're doing well.

I'd also be right after Wiredu at Fleetwood as the defensive utility player, but then I thought the same about Deji last season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 11, 2024 4:38 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 4:16 pm
I'd also be right after Wiredu at Fleetwood as the defensive utility player, but then I thought the same about Deji last season.
I know you've eyed Wiredu a while. But while I know he can play more than one position, do you think there's scope for another centre-back addition, assuming we have Johnston, Santos, Jones, Toal, Iredale and Forrester contracted next year?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 11, 2024 4:41 pm

Elsewhere, WIGAN release Josh Magennis, Ben Amos, Tom Pearce, Stephen Humphrys and Charlie Wyke. Offering terms to Jason Kerr, Jordan Jones, Callum McManaman and Harry McHugh.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 4:55 pm

Sat May 11, 2024 4:38 pm
I know you've eyed Wiredu a while. But while I know he can play more than one position, do you think there's scope for another centre-back addition, assuming we have Johnston, Santos, Jones, Toal, Iredale and Forrester contracted next year?
I think so.

Obviously Johnston needs space to come back, but we can't expect him to start the season as his old self and we need to improve at the back. That's why I'd like to see someone versatile and physically dominant added. The club may well have better options in mind, but I think the budget needs to go mainly to the flanks and Wiredu seems like a good option given Fleetwood's relegation.

I mean there are more ambitious targets you could name. Di'Shon Bernard, for example. Probably not realistic given other interest (Coventry, etc), though.

I'm not sure what discussions on here have been, but I have us needing 5-6 (minimum 4) in over the summer - unless we lose some to big bids.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 11, 2024 5:04 pm

Given we very clearly have conceded too many goals this season I’d say next season whatever happens that is where we need to fix. Midfield in terms of its ability to stop teams and the back three in terms of its defensive concentration and general ability to keep the ball out.

If we want to be promoted that’s the difference maker and a league up - I think it’s a bigger issue.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:14 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 4:55 pm
Sat May 11, 2024 4:38 pm
I think so.

Obviously Johnston needs space to come back, but we can't expect him to start the season as his old self and we need to improve at the back. That's why I'd like to see someone versatile and physically dominant added. The club may well have better options in mind, but I think the budget needs to go mainly to the flanks and Wiredu seems like a good option given Fleetwood's relegation.

I mean there are more ambitious targets you could name. Di'Shon Bernard, for example. Probably not realistic given other interest (Coventry, etc), though.

I'm not sure what discussions on here have been, but I have us needing 5-6 (minimum 4) in over the summer - unless we lose some to big bids.
It's a tricky one, isn't it? It's clear that the defensive side of things is where we need to strengthen most - whether that be through improving the players we've got or adding new ones, both at the back and in midfield. But we've got a boatload of centre backs who you'd say are "good sorts".

Rico, Toal and GJ are undoubtedly our first choice centre back partnership when all are fit. Maybe having Toal on the right and GJ back on the left cures some of our ills? But then you've got Forrester, who I reckon we've got big hopes for, plus Iredale and Jones who are "trusted lieutenants" and offer a fair amount of positional flexibility. It's difficult to see another player coming into that without an exit or two.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 11, 2024 5:20 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 4:55 pm
Not so much discussions as Schopenhauerian laments about the futility of attempting to find joy given the inevitability of disappointment because true fulfilment is inescapably unachievable and it's probably Ian Evatt's fault. So just the usual, then. :D

Go on then, as it's always educational: which positions are ye improving?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 5:31 pm

Sat May 11, 2024 5:20 pm
Not so much discussions as Schopenhauerian laments about the futility of attempting to find joy given the inevitability of disappointment because true fulfilment is inescapably unachievable and it's probably Ian Evatt's fault. So just the usual, then. :D

Go on then, as it's always educational: which positions are ye improving?
I appreciate you saving time by letting AI write your posts. Innovative :mrgreen:

Personal choice? I'd ideally have one in each department (if we keep Paris) and two new wingbacks. Then it's about whether we stick with Coleman, who I feel has seriously struggled, or find a new back-up.

You could easily argue Collins was brought forward from being a summer target, but I think there are too many question marks over the fitness of the 4(5) attacking options not to look at the market.

At the back we will have depth, but I think we need quality and a player who can genuinely cover Rico.

In midfield, assuming Paris stays, we need some experience. Someone who really knows the division and what is required. A player who can guide the young lads as they figure it out.

The wingbacks are the big signings. Williams and Cogley are really good, reliable options. We need players who will scare defences.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 11, 2024 5:32 pm

I take it you wouldn't want to sign Ogbeta or Ashworth, then? I've quite liked both, especially Nat, but I can see what you mean. We need players who will raise the ceiling - or indeed the roof.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 5:46 pm

Sat May 11, 2024 5:32 pm
I take it you wouldn't want to sign Ogbeta or Ashworth, then? I've quite liked both, especially Nat, but I can see what you mean. We need players who will raise the ceiling - or indeed the roof.
I think Ogbeta is a real talent. If he's the pick, fine. I have real questions about his fitness record, though. Also he seems to struggle with his confidence.

The aim, if we go up, is the Premier League. We need to sign players we believe can get us there. That doesn't mean we have to get there immediately, obviously; but the players we sign should be ones who can make us dream of it in the near future - unless they're there to support lads we already believe can get us to the top of the Championship.

The manager clearly believes Baxter, Santos, Johnston, Thomason, Paris and Collins can get to that "promotion zone" level - given previous comments. He may also feel that way about Charles, Toal and others - I don't know.

He needs an 11 he believes that about, then other lads he thinks can do a job.

We may find we suddenly start splash cash we've not previously seen, but I'm assuming we'll stick to a fairly tight budget.

Ogbeta and Femi Azeez would do just fine. If we get in vastly better players than that I'll be a happy bunny.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 11, 2024 6:09 pm

I would suspect that players "like" Ogbeta and Azeez are more likely candidates than "bigger" names. If we do go up, we will be suddenly swimming in a pond of sizeable fishies. Doesn't mean success is impossible (ask Ian's mate Rob Edwards) but we'll have to be savvy. If we need say five signings, I'd expect at least a couple of freebies among them.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 6:17 pm

Sat May 11, 2024 6:09 pm
I would suspect that players "like" Ogbeta and Azeez are more likely candidates than "bigger" names. If we do go up, we will be suddenly swimming in a pond of sizeable fishies. Doesn't mean success is impossible (ask Ian's mate Rob Edwards) but we'll have to be savvy. If we need say five signings, I'd expect at least a couple of freebies among them.
As would I. We have to make a very good midfield signing just to stand still, but we are in the best position we've seen at Wanderers in over a decade.

We have two strikers who look capable to getting 20+ a season, on multi-year contracts, and a solid base to build a very good team on.

We've got there by doing sensible business and long may that continue.