Tooling up: The summer 2024 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tooling up: The summer 2024 transfer thread

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 20, 2024 5:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:13 pm
I'd be happy with Ashworth in a back 4. If we're looking to sign him to play in a 5 I'm officially worried. Good player, lots of headroom but never a wing back.

In fact I'm convincing myself we are have to him as part of the third great formational re-set.

Is Iredale under contract? You'd think he'd be the other LB if so.
We could call it "The Third Coming." That should keep everyone happy...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 20, 2024 5:20 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:16 pm
We could call it "The Third Coming." That should keep everyone happy...
Certainly keeps my wife happy.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 20, 2024 5:29 pm

Joe Rafferty joins JCH at Rotherham.

Steve Evans and two experienced, quality players.

Insane may need to switch clubs at this rate.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 20, 2024 5:33 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:29 pm

Well, if we can get a good fee for him, clearly it might be good for all parties :mrgreen:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 20, 2024 5:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:33 pm
Well, if we can get a good fee for him, clearly it might be good for all parties :mrgreen:
I'd ask for a packet of chocolate bourbons, but suspect Steve Evans will have placed a transfer embargo on those.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 20, 2024 5:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:33 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:29 pm

We might get a few more quid, shunting a few to Arsenal rather than Rotherham. 😀

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 20, 2024 5:52 pm

The rumoured (and I stress rumoured) wages/bonuses to get these lads in through the door early at Rotherham are a bit eyewatering at this level.

If there's any agent with a player who might fit they're walking barefoot to Rotherham if needed.

Suppose we should be happy they're looking for different options than we are likely to be.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 20, 2024 5:56 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:52 pm
The rumoured (and I stress rumoured) wages/bonuses to get these lads in through the door early at Rotherham are a bit eyewatering at this level.

If there's any agent with a player who might fit they're walking barefoot to Rotherham if needed.

Suppose we should be happy they're looking for different options than we are likely to be.
Next season we won’t have the best players or the best squad. We will need to be better organised, fitter have more spirit, make fewer mistakes, score more set piece goals and be more efficient than teams.

It’s about creating the sort of side Allardyce did when he lost his stars. A side nobody fancied for promotion. It’s about working absolutely against the odds.

The stuff Evatt hasn’t done since being here in other words. And there won’t be excuses if he’s here and it will need mid 90 points.

Do you think he in any way is the sort of manager to deliver a side that can do that?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 20, 2024 6:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:56 pm
Do you think he in any way is the sort of manager to deliver a side that can do that?
I get it mate, you have a "WWSD?" tattoo on your arse.

I don't care how Sam would do it. If Evatt is the manager I care how he will do it. If it's someone else I'll care how he will do it.

Sam was over 15 years ago. I'm not interested in how he'd fix Ian's team.

Can we score more from set pieces? Yes, probably. We have looked far more threatening there. Can we conceded fewer? Yes, Ian's sides have been defensively solid in the past (2nd best defence last season, was it?).

So clearly he can coach these things.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 20, 2024 6:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:52 pm

Next season we won’t have the best players or the best squad. We will need to be better organised, fitter have more spirit, make fewer mistakes, score more set piece goals and be more efficient than teams.

It’s about creating the sort of side Allardyce did when he lost his stars. A side nobody fancied for promotion. It’s about working absolutely against the odds.

The stuff Evatt hasn’t done since being here in other words. And there won’t be excuses if he’s here and it will need mid 90 points.

There's next year's excuse, right there...Not got the strongest squad...give him another year, already.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 20, 2024 6:20 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 6:03 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I get it mate, you have a "WWSD?" tattoo on your arse.

I don't care how Sam would do it. If Evatt is the manager I care how he will do it. If it's someone else I'll care how he will do it.

Sam was over 15 years ago. I'm not interested in how he'd fix Ian's team.

Can we score more from set pieces? Yes, probably. We have looked far more threatening there. Can we conceded fewer? Yes, Ian's sides have been defensively solid in the past (2nd best defence last season, was it?).

So clearly he can coach these things.
But it’s about creating the sort of spirit and whatever that Oxford had for the last 12 games. They weren’t the best side but they went up. Because their collective overcame sides with better players.

You get what I’m saying. That’s the job next season. Being the tactically best manager getting everything out of a group that will be more limited in relative terms.

Every season youve basically said ‘we’ve not got enough of this or that’ and next season will be that on steroids. We will need to be better managed than every other side. Have more spirit. More desire. Be prepared to win games in a multitude of ways. Under pressure.

Evatts one way won’t cut it next season and everyone I think knows that. Can he change to take a side and mould it into something far greater than the sum of its parts? Cos I’ve seen no evidence of him doing that thus far. In fact the opposite is what I’ve seen.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 20, 2024 6:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 6:20 pm
But it’s about creating the sort of spirit and whatever that Oxford had for the last 12 games. They weren’t the best side but they went up. Because their collective overcame sides with better players.

You get what I’m saying. That’s the job next season. Being the tactically best manager getting everything out of a group that will be more limited in relative terms.

Every season youve basically said ‘we’ve not got enough of this or that’ and next season will be that on steroids. We will need to be better managed than every other side. Have more spirit. More desire. Be prepared to win games in a multitude of ways. Under pressure.

Evatts one way won’t cut it next season and everyone I think knows that. Can he change to take a side and mould it into something far greater than the sum of its parts? Cos I’ve seen no evidence of him doing that thus far. In fact the opposite is what I’ve seen.
Sorry, I'm still in a bad mood from Saturday and not over the self-indulgent wallowing stage yet.

Every season we haven't had enough of this or that. This season I thought we'd make do, but we fecked it up.

Next season will be tougher, yes. We have the best base we've had, but there's no room for error and we made a lot of errors this time.

Every point of concern I had at the start of the season (I think literally every one) happened. We still should have gone up, though.

Whatever has happened to Evatt (his press bullshit) and his team (results) since New Year needs to feck off.

We can defend, because we did it last season. We can score goals, because we've just done it.

Get your shit together and find a balance and get us up. Nothing less.

I have been screaming for Aaron Collins for a while. I feel he did well and with a full preseason he gives me real hope. If we can keep him and Dion then there's a chance, eve in a tougher league.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon May 20, 2024 6:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 6:20 pm

Excellent post.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 20, 2024 7:29 pm

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 20, 2024 7:44 pm

I got a bit emosh reading that.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 20, 2024 7:52 pm

So with Paris gone we need to replace what he offers, but the player we sign also needs to be able to win the ball, battle in the air and lead the team by running through brick walls.

That Clark Kent lad who plays for Sporting Kansas is supposed to be good...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 20, 2024 8:41 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 7:44 pm
Not for me. I think he was decent, probably in my top 3 players this season and I enjoyed watching him. But he’s just another bloke who’s picked up a very good wage in a side that I’ll remember as a failure.

Really do think Dion Charles will be off this summer as well - I expect a transfer request by August.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 20, 2024 8:46 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 8:41 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 7:44 pm
Not for me. I think he was decent, probably in my top 3 players this season and I enjoyed watching him. But he’s just another bloke who’s picked up a very good wage in a side that I’ll remember as a failure.

Really do think Dion Charles will be off this summer as well - I expect a transfer request by August.
Yeah I think he’s a good player Maghoma but I don’t like any of these players and won’t be in anyway sad to see them go.

They aren’t exactly Kevin Davies, Campo or Super John.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon May 20, 2024 8:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 7:29 pm
Nice touch this. I wish him well. Never rated him in the beginning as his work rate, defensive side and flirting in and out of games with flashy dribbles didn't impress me. But credit to him, he clearly worked on his game and became a valuable player to us in the end.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 20, 2024 9:03 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 8:51 pm
Nice touch this. I wish him well. Never rated him in the beginning as his work rate, defensive side and flirting in and out of games with flashy dribbles didn't impress me. But credit to him, he clearly worked on his game and became a valuable player to us in the end.
Which is also to the credit of a coaching team currently under fire.

They got a talented lad in and improved him. They've done that a lot.