Should I(E) stay or should I(E) go?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should Ian Evatt stay as Bolton manager?

Stay
58%
Go
42%

Total votes: 36

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Should I(E) stay or should I(E) go?

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 22, 2024 8:58 am

"The Great Blanking"...FFS.

Coming out in public to tell a kid to man up was worse than this and that was also nothing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 22, 2024 9:31 am

Nobody seems to be contradicting the tale. What it shows to me is something I’ve believed for a while. I mean you don’t need this silly ‘spat’ to be included in this.

We’ve all encountered people like Evatt, big egos a bit arrogant. It’s par for the course with a lot of football managers. But I think over time I’ve realised that Evatt’s particular ego is a front to cover up his own self doubt. Again we’ve all I’m sure encountered a lot of this. We all probably have suffered from imposter syndrome in our lives at some points.

But it’s classic isn’t it. Reasonable start to life in the championship, play really well at Sheffield Wednesday but ultimately lose….’we are the best team in the league’. It’s an emotional response to frustration but also probably the doubt he has about the teams longevity in the league. Hit out to try and cover it up. ‘I’ve kept the receipts’ again an emotional response to his own self doubt that those receipts would ever be brandished.

There are countless other examples. Instead of just analysing the game or the result he often either offers up self defence or says something that doesn’t match. We have all done it. This isn’t some Evatt unique thing. It’s human nature. But it does as time goes on and the more we hear appear to be a trait. Self doubt, covered up by hitting out.

Maybe he’d decided Sarce needed to be moved on but that whole thing doesn’t sound good. If the staff are saying ‘you know what he’s like’ about the manager then I’d say that isn’t ideal at all. Coaches absolutely should bring a different side than the manager but I also think that good managers communicate at length and are always about the spirit. Blanking people and seemingly singling them out with little reason feels like an extension of ‘self doubt covered up by external action’.

And then we come to the team. Play with an arrogance at times, and when they are going well they blow teams away sometimes. Arrogance, ego and confidence on the pitch. Yet when things aren’t going well they look fearful and lacking confidence. And when the crunch really comes they freeze entirely. Is that perhaps a reflection of the manager himself?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 22, 2024 9:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:31 am
But I think over time I’ve realised that Evatt’s particular ego is a front to cover up his own self doubt.
Did the self-help books and "Jesus needs me to be in the Premier League" not give it away to you on day one?

Doubt is healthy. Avoiding it is the weakness. If Evatt can stop avoiding it it'll make him a better manager.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 22, 2024 9:59 am

^^ Gotta be honest, although I want him gone, this non-story doesn't tilt the needle for me and whilst I could try and build a "here's what I reckon," I don't actually know first hand what goes on, but for me the reason he has to go, remains as "fecked it up royally and spinelessly."

One thing he did directly comment on post match, "it's probably the first time I can't argue against the narrative of not turning up in a big game" I can only conclude he musta been having a sickie for a few. Wigan was horrendous. That's a state of denial.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 22, 2024 10:00 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:49 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
But I think over time I’ve realised that Evatt’s particular ego is a front to cover up his own self doubt.
Did the self-help books and "Jesus needs me to be in the Premier League" not give it away to you on day one?

Doubt is healthy. Avoiding it is the weakness. If Evatt can stop avoiding it it'll make him a better manager.
I guess it depends what happens to doubt. Most managers I’ve met have complete belief in their methods, abilities and football vision. They may doubt their team or resources but I wonder if self doubt has been a characteristic embedded into the team rather than focussed determination and confidence?

I once had a drink and chat with a former Bolton manager (it was planned I didn’t accost them) who I won’t name going back a long way this and said ‘I fancy us at the weekend’ their face was an absolute giveaway as they said ‘yeah we will have a go’ or words to that effect. Needless to say we did not and lost.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 22, 2024 10:01 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:59 am
One thing he did directly comment on post match, "it's probably the first time I can't argue against the narrative of not turning up in a big game" I can only conclude he musta been having a sickie for a few. Wigan was horrendous. That's a state of denial.
That felt more like covering his own arse, to me.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 22, 2024 10:03 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:59 am
^^ Gotta be honest, although I want him gone, this non-story doesn't tilt the needle for me and whilst I could try and build a "here's what I reckon," I don't actually know first hand what goes on, but for me the reason he has to go, remains as "fecked it up royally and spinelessly."

But this sort of is another example. A few fans saying something is hardly a ‘narrative’ but if he thinks it was nonsense then simply don’t reference it. But the fact he has referenced it and called it a ‘narrative’ maybe suggests all along he was worried it was maybe the case…..

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 22, 2024 10:04 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:49 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Gonna ask a question, coz you've more than hinted at this a few times. Does his religion get in the way of his job? Because if it doesn't, I'm happy to leave him to it..

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 22, 2024 10:12 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:04 am
Gonna ask a question, coz you've more than hinted at this a few times. Does his religion get in the way of his job? Because if it doesn't, I'm happy to leave him to it..
People are religious in different ways and for different reasons.

Ian's extreme fervour wasn't apparent until after he had a fairly public life crisis.

Sport has more religiosity than general life. So it's not unusual for me to see overt religious belief around the game. Players pray before matches, they claim Jesus loves them, etc. With Evatt I feel pretty strongly that it's a coping mechanism, rather than a philosophical position.

If it helps him then that's fine. However, I have always felt (and I think said on day one) that his self-help and "I'm the chosen one" schtick would get more and more difficult for him as he went up the divisions.

The further up you go the more "elite performance" is seen in rational terms and the more people want detailed explanations you can present to folk, rather than appeals to a higher power or the authority of an author.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 22, 2024 10:14 am

If it helps, I am more worried about the books than The Book.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 22, 2024 10:18 am

I think you're saying, probably doesn't get in the way of us, but might hinder his personal development in future. If that's correct, then I genuinely don't care. I was starting to get images of him sitting 13 round a table for the pre-match and making them say Grace...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 22, 2024 10:29 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:18 am
I think you're saying, probably doesn't get in the way of us, but might hinder his personal development in future. If that's correct, then I genuinely don't care. I was starting to get images of him sitting 13 round a table for the pre-match and making them say Grace...
I don't think it hinders us now, no. Other than I do worry that Ian's "the right sorts" test includes more of a religious test than it does a "Will this lad do anything to win?" test.

"Ian will love him, he's a god-fearing, humble lad" was what one person opined to me. Made me sigh.

I don't know Ian, though, so it's all guesswork and bullshit. I've certainly no idea how he conducts himself every day in training, which is what matters.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 22, 2024 10:39 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:29 am
Worthy4England wrote:
I don't think it hinders us now, no. Other than I do worry that Ian's "the right sorts" test includes more of a religious test than it does a "Will this lad do anything to win?" test.

"Ian will love him, he's a god-fearing, humble lad" was what one person opined to me. Made me sigh.

I don't know Ian, though, so it's all guesswork and bullshit. I've certainly no idea how he conducts himself every day in training, which is what matters.
Yeah ok gotcha, thanks.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 22, 2024 10:53 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Based on widely known history he can’t be that ‘god fearing’.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 22, 2024 11:04 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:53 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Based on widely known history he can’t be that ‘god fearing’.
I'd say it tracks pretty well, myself!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 22, 2024 11:07 am

I wouldn't trust Sarce to tell me which way up was, so the pinch of salt I'd take that with would have British Heart staging an intervention. In the very same interview he denies dancing along to their fans singing "Bolton get battered" despite clear evidence he did (which I don't actually care that much about, but the lad is a fantasist gobshite).

If it's true it's not great but he also says up to then he'd been one of the best he played for. If he's only going to be a dick to then two days before they move I can live with it
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 22, 2024 11:21 am

Looking across at ours and WW's polls. I think the tally whilst strongly against, as you'd expect maybe, after Saturday has absolutely narrowed but is still roughly 50/50. 115 for go and 114 stay, across the two. The arguments for and against are pretty similar, probably as you'd expect, but I just think it's going to make it hair trigger at any opportunity, if there's not a significant mellowing across the summer.

We've been told numerous times that the silent supportive majority is much more significant than a few idiots against. Which may have been true then, but I think against, will certainly be larger than a few idiots going into next season. If he does stay, then the out crew would need to bite their collective lips a chunk if we're not off to a flier.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 22, 2024 11:30 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:21 am
Looking across at ours and WW's polls. I think the tally whilst strongly against, as you'd expect maybe, after Saturday has absolutely narrowed but is still roughly 50/50. 115 for go and 114 stay, across the two. The arguments for and against are pretty similar, probably as you'd expect, but I just think it's going to make it hair trigger at any opportunity, if there's not a significant mellowing across the summer.

We've been told numerous times that the silent supportive majority is much more significant than a few idiots against. Which may have been true then, but I think against, will certainly be larger than a few idiots going into next season. If he does stay, then the out crew would need to bite their collective lips a chunk if we're not off to a flier.
I don’t think it’s on fans. It’s on Evatt to deliver. If he doesn’t people will point it out as they see it. I think the idea that Bolton fans are happy and on a journey is for the birds. A few may just want to see nice football but most feel let down and are now absolutely beyond desperate to see the club progress. If Evatt stay he will have to accept that it’s deliver now or be it will be a difficult environment. Thats what managers are paid for.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 22, 2024 11:31 am

Nobody associated with the football club is happy right now.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 22, 2024 11:32 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:21 am

Agree with this. Obviously summer - transfers, vibe - will move the needle one way or other for different people. And not necessarily in the same way; a stay voter’s “promising signing” might be a go voter’s “waste of money”.

Abundantly obvious a strong start is absolutely essential - for PPG and PR.