This is why Arsenal fans have no credibility whatsoever

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:00 pm

Prufrock wrote:That was written from notes?! This guy thinks he's a real journamalist then?
according to his wiki that he has clearly not written himself (errr...) and may or may not be edited sometime soon.....
Tony Attwood (born 1947 in Southgate, Middlesex, England) is an expert in direct mail, who previously worked as a teacher and lecturer, and has written over 80 books on education. He currently lives in Northamptonshire.

Attwood was educated at what is now the University of Brighton, the Open University, and London University Institute of Education, where he gained an M.Phil for his research in music education. In 2006 he was awarded a Fellowship of the Institute of Administrative Management for his work in setting up the National Certificate in Educational Administration - effectively the first comprehensive training programme for school secretaries and administrators.

His books have been varied, ranging from a Blake's 7 programme guide and novel, a 1986 Doctor Who spin-off novel, a series of music education titles with Oxford University Press, and several works that introduced the notion of using pop and rock music as a serious topic in education. Later work includes The Improving Department, a radical re-working of school improvement ideas in the UK which challenged mainstream views.

In 1981 Attwood set up Hamilton House Publishing, a company which not only published his post-1981 work but also re-issued earlier work. Since 2000 much of Attwood's work has been in advertising and he has acted as copywriter for a number of national companies. As a result of this work he produced the web site http://www.theory.bz which sets out his theory of direct mail.

He continues to work with the School of Educational Administration, with the Hamilton Housegroup, and with Witchwood Records, (including in 2007 as a performer on one of the record company's albums).

Novels by Tony Attwood

Blake's 7 Afterlife (published WH Allen) Doctor Who: Turlough and the Earthlink Dilemma (published WH Allen) Making the Arsenal (published Hamilton House) October 2009

Books on education by Tony Attwood

The Improving Department Methods of Teaching From Failure to Excellence

Current book 2009: "Making the Arsenal" by Tony Attwood published Hamilton House. Historical novel set in 1910.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:01 pm

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:That was written from notes?! This guy thinks he's a real journamalist then?
according to his wiki that he has clearly not written himself (errr...) and may or may not be edited sometime soon.....
Tony Attwood (born 1947 in Southgate, Middlesex, England) is an expert in direct mail, who previously worked as a teacher and lecturer, and has written over 80 books on education. He currently lives in Northamptonshire.

Attwood was educated at what is now the University of Brighton, the Open University, and London University Institute of Education, where he gained an M.Phil for his research in music education. In 2006 he was awarded a Fellowship of the Institute of Administrative Management for his work in setting up the National Certificate in Educational Administration - effectively the first comprehensive training programme for school secretaries and administrators.

His books have been varied, ranging from a Blake's 7 programme guide and novel, a 1986 Doctor Who spin-off novel, a series of music education titles with Oxford University Press, and several works that introduced the notion of using pop and rock music as a serious topic in education. Later work includes The Improving Department, a radical re-working of school improvement ideas in the UK which challenged mainstream views.

In 1981 Attwood set up Hamilton House Publishing, a company which not only published his post-1981 work but also re-issued earlier work. Since 2000 much of Attwood's work has been in advertising and he has acted as copywriter for a number of national companies. As a result of this work he produced the web site http://www.theory.bz which sets out his theory of direct mail.

He continues to work with the School of Educational Administration, with the Hamilton Housegroup, and with Witchwood Records, (including in 2007 as a performer on one of the record company's albums).

Novels by Tony Attwood

Blake's 7 Afterlife (published WH Allen) Doctor Who: Turlough and the Earthlink Dilemma (published WH Allen) Making the Arsenal (published Hamilton House) October 2009

Current book 2009: "Making the Arsenal" by Tony Attwood published Hamilton House. Historical novel set in 1910.

Absolutely my first thought.....what an egotistical self-important prick. Get him on here, he'll fit in nicely :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:01 pm

He used the word 'caste' in a football article. Dear dear.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Condescending, as well as crackers
I will try and explain how I see this, but I do so without too much hope that it will be understood (although I am sure that is due to my inabilities as a writer rather than anything else).

This blog has from day one had the headline “supporting the Lord Wenger in all he does” and it has never varied from that mission. That’s what it is about. It aims to do this through a mixture of humour, serious writing, totally over the top ranting, and explorations of writing forms that are not to be found on many (or even any) other football blogs. In short it tries to expand what football blogging is about.

As such two things happen. First, it often fails in its targets, because you can’t run experiments and have everything work all the time. Second, it doesn’t conform.

At the same time, I have the view that many articulate football supporters easily swing between two approaches to football. One is the totally over-the-top vision of their own club as perfect, pure, wonderful. We had a brilliant article on here a couple of weeks back that expressed that so perfectly, comparing the abuse that fans gave to the writer when he was playing, and the almost schizophrenic contradictions that came from a single fan who had given up a day and a night to support his team who performed so badly.

The other is our ability to step aside and have serious balanced conversations about different teams.

This web site is primarily about the former – it can hardly be anything else given the fact that it supports Lord Wenger in all he does. Many Arsenal fans find that pathetically stupid. Many others enjoy that starting point.

But equally I regularly have conversations with fans of other clubs in a serious way in which openly debate without prejudice how our respective teams are doing, and what else is going on in the league. To do this it takes both sides to be talking in the same way, but it is perfectly possible, and reasonable educated fans can always do that.

On this site I might rant at Tottenham and make fun of their manager, but on Supporters Direct I am delighted to receive valued information from a Tottenham fan about the way it treats supporters over a certain issue – so that I can use that information to take to Arsenal in my campaign to change a policy that the club has.

In short I am not writing articles here which are supposed to be balanced, or which are supposed to be unbiased. I can well understand that many readers won’t pick up on the odd quotes I sling in here and there – some do, and I think the articles are readable even if you don’t. But quite why Bolton fans don’t understand that I am writing a pro-Wenger pro-Arsenal blog, in the way that many other people write blogs in favour of their club or their manager or anything else, I still don’t understand.

I’d like to think that might make it clearer, but somehow I doubt it will.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:14 pm

he also writes some banging songs....
Bletchley

I met this girl who said hey babe I know some new secrets

It’s a way to the holy grail via rock n roll

She said I’d like to teach you I think you could make it

Its an enigmatic salsa mixed with God and plenty of soul

I said hey where do you learn all this new stuff

She said at the Railwayman’s night club and café

Right in the heart of of the Buckinghamshire countryside

It’s the place to be the place where you can learn to decrypt your life away

I asked how come you know all about Bletchley

She said my dad played piano at the Railwayman and sang the blues

And my mother she worked as a high flying Bletchley code breaker

And my brother worked for the Times re-writing the news.

I said that sounds like 1942 then

She said yes the place is still much the same

The streets lights are out and they got no central heating

And the Railwayman’s Night Club and Café still gives Bletchley its special name

If we weren’t here the code breakers would turn in their grave yards

If we weren’t here the spies would think they’ve been spying in vain

If we weren’t here they’d think they were acting in a movie

But now we’re here everyone’s happy and we can do it all again

Is there anybody here who’s mother never worked it Bletchley

Is there anybody here who’s dad never sang the blues

Is there anybody here who’s auntie was not a codebreaker

Is there anybody here who’s still got their blue suede shoes

Did you know that the whole world revolved around Bletchley

Everyone I meet has a codebreaker brain

At the old railway café and the night club

Waiting for a chance to rock and roll and do it all again

Everyone I know is leading a double life now

Everyone is half codebreaker and half rock and roll

Everyone I know tells stories about cryptology

Everyone is breaking secret codes and trying to sell their soul

Is there anybody here who wants to know my secret

Is there anybody here who’s working for the other side

Is there anybody here who’s ever thought of telling the truth?

Is there anybody here who’s not got something to hide

Did you know that in the end Bletchley’s got no secrets

So now we just make up stories we can sell

I’m glad to say it works, everyone’s so gullible

If you give me ten quid I’m sure I can find plenty of stories to tell.

Now we’ve got this job that leads to the holy grail now

Written on stone tells of mankinds ultimate fate

The Bletchley boys have got a direct line to God now

It you’ve got any secrets left we’ll solve them while you wait

Is there anybody here who’d like to buy salvation

Is there anybody here who’s never done anything wrong

Is there anybody here who fancied walking on water

Is there anybody here who knows how to end this song?

Belchley codebreakers will solve all your problems

If your fridge don’t work or your finances aren’t too sound

Whatever you need Bletchley has the answer

Come to Bletchley we know it all we can turn your life around

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:17 pm

At least he admits that he is writing nothing but a pile of sh#t or at least that's how I take his rebuttal.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:17 pm

thebish wrote:

Novels by Tony Attwood

Ah should have known he was from the great unwashed ranks of the loonyversitys

Bloody students! to much sex and booze and they want us to pay for it!!!!!!

Should be shot

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:28 pm

wiki says he live's in the land down under the c@nt's gonna be six feet under if he sets foot back here again

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:32 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:wiki says he live's in the land down under the c@nt's gonna be six feet under if he sets foot back here again
Is he? Are you going to kill him? If so, shhhhhh! You'll get caught dead easy saying stuff like that on the interwebs!

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:33 pm

it will be our little secret

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:55 pm

I think it's rude to suggest that we wouldn't understand his bias as he's writing an Arsenal-centric blog. It's almost like he's trying to say, 'I'm too high brow for you Boltonian thickys'. I bet he thinks we all live in back to back terracing and have whippets and flat caps.
Pfffft.

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:03 pm

I think he's trying to suggest that his article (and much of his work) is one massive exercise in tongue-in-cheek, meant to encapsulate the mindset of the hopelessly biased and rose-bespectacled fan. The problem is that he claims that this is his intent and then takes what he writes seriously. The fact that other Arse fans read his drivel and then take it seriously themselves makes it even worse. He fancies himself as some kind of high-brow wind-up merchant but comes off as just another one of the many sheep that support Wenger's Day School for Footballing Kids. His grammar isn't even that good, ffs.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:11 pm

SonsOfThunder wrote:I think he's trying to suggest that his article (and much of his work) is one massive exercise in tongue-in-cheek, meant to encapsulate the mindset of the hopelessly biased and rose-bespectacled fan. The problem is that he claims that this is his intent and then takes what he writes seriously. The fact that other Arse fans read his drivel and then take it seriously themselves makes it even worse. He fancies himself as some kind of high-brow wind-up merchant but comes off as just another one of the many sheep that support Wenger's Day School for Footballing Kids. His grammar isn't even that good, ffs.
I think that's about it.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:28 pm

TKIZ! wrote:I think it's rude to suggest that we wouldn't understand his bias as he's writing an Arsenal-centric blog. It's almost like he's trying to say, 'I'm too high brow for you Boltonian thickys'. I bet he thinks we all live in back to back terracing and have whippets and flat caps.
You mean...you lot don't...??

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:58 pm

East Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:

it would be very tempting to edit that wiki page now... wouldn't it??? anyone???
I've been fighting that very temptation for the last 20 minutes 8)

awwww.... it looks like someone got there before us... :wink:

jmascis
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jmascis » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:04 pm

from the wiki

# Hamilton House, the company of which Attwood is chairman
# First and Best, publishing arm of Hamilton House that publishes most of Attwood's books

one way to get published I suppose.
Whatever

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:04 pm

thebish wrote:
East Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:

it would be very tempting to edit that wiki page now... wouldn't it??? anyone???

:lmfao:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:06 pm

thebish wrote:
East Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:

:D

For posterity:

"Tony also devotes his considerable literary wit and talent to an Arsenal Blog "Untold Arsenal: Arsenal News. Supporting the Lord Wenger in all he does" where he ironically and hilariously adopts the persona of a smug and clueless Arsenal fan, cleverly leaving subtle clues to his wind-up in the form of a blatant and obvious misreading of the game. Only people who really know football can spot this, and so he flies under the wire - many Arsenal fans falling into his trap and assuming that he knows something. The site boasts "Over a third of a million hits per month" and this reveals his genius. By adopting the subtle yet plainly ironic persona of a pompous fool, he draws in the very people he is silently mocking. Tony is a true comedy legend, the Chris Morris of the football world."

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:01 pm

The link to his blog at the bottom has also been renamed, "Tony's genius blog." :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:05 pm

SonsOfThunder wrote:The link to his blog at the bottom has also been renamed, "Tony's genius blog." :D
by jove - it has! :wink: