Carling Cup 3rd Round - Burnley Away

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:58 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:my opinion is that progress through the cup was more important than getting Tamir Cohen and co a game under their belt
Why was it important we progress?

hisroyalgingerness wrote:my opinion is that progress through the cup was more important than getting Tamir Cohen and co a game under their belt
Seeing as Cohen and Davies were given games ahead of the overworked Muamba and Holden, I put it to you you are miles off the mark

Unless you propose to give Muamba a day off on Sunday

The one selection I can't support was leaving out Elmander

He should've played with Klasnic, but I'm convinced Coyle just doesn't want that to work

Still, he's doing a grand job of upsetting Klasnic...to read some folk on here, only Megson struggled to keep players smiling who were outside the first team
Sto ut Serviam

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:08 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:

Seeing as Cohen and Davies were given games ahead of the overworked Muamba and Holden, I put it to you you are miles off the mark

He should've played with Klasnic, but I'm convinced Coyle just doesn't want that to work

Still, he's doing a grand job of upsetting Klasnic...to read some folk on here, only Megson struggled to keep players smiling who were outside the first team
It's not like an exclusive club really Caps, how many players do you know who beside Winston Bogarde are really truly happy to sit on the bench? I'd hazard a guess it's not very many. So Klasnic showed his arse about being subbed last night, if he didn't show the passion then I would get upset.
Pfffft.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Tell me about it

Doesn't change the fact that it was often used as a stick with which to beat Megson

We now have our likeliest scorer looking well pissed off which isn't ideal

We knew enough about him when we signed him to know he's not the 'plough a loan furrow at Burnley' type
Sto ut Serviam

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:36 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Tell me about it

Doesn't change the fact that it was often used as a stick with which to beat Megson

We knew enough about him when we signed him to know he's not the 'plough a loan furrow at Burnley' type
That's being VERY kind to him based on last nights return to 'action'
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:51 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:

Secret option 2 perhaps? Play them both games? Big boys they are.

In fairness, by all means proceed with the starting XI. But let's shake it up after 55, 60 mins when it's obvious nowt's happening.

Is it not important to try and win each competition we're in? Am I missing the point of being in a cup competition? The gaffer set fan expectation by saying he wanted a cup run. He didn't deliver one, and I'd put it to you that there were plenty of tools left in the box to try and secure one.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:54 pm

Spot on HRG, but does CAPSLOCK really have to "Spell it out for you"? :wink:

RobbieSavagesLeg
Promising
Promising

Post by RobbieSavagesLeg » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Attacking coach's new methods not working out too well...

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:21 pm

Someone's on twitter

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:26 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Someone's on twitter
I just saw this too.. :oops:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:26 pm

twitter twatter

maybe we'll get some points on Sunday

I'd be happy with that.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:31 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:But let's shake it up after 55, 60 mins when it's obvious nowt's happening.
In the league this season that would be my one criticism of OC, leaves the subs a bit late in the day.

Having said that, the Burnley game shows us that the 1st XI is obviously better than the 2nd XI. Normally taking a starter off and putting a sub on is only giving you some extra energy, it's not improving the team for us at the moment. In the Carling Cup I'm all for giving Klasnic as long as possible to see how he does, how fit he is. There's obviously work for him to do in training, so, if nothing else, it's highlighted that and given him a workout.

[overly positive mood today]
:pissed:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:35 pm

boltonboris wrote:

I thought he meant Taylor.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

I thought he meant Taylor.
Taylor didn't look pissed off though.... Shit, unfit and disinterested? Yes. Pissed off? No

Regardless of which one he meant, the same line applies to both

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Thats the perils of having a squad though I guess. Taylor and Klas obviously feel they should be in the team.

Infact I'd of played taylor at villa myself.

If he really is that unfit though then he shouldn't be near the squad.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:46 pm

I agree but then Megson didn't do himself any favours and we're all old enough on here to now we've had it worse

Elmo seems our likeliest scorer at the moment and Megson's claims that we haven't scored as many under OC aren't true, 7 in 5 isn't that bad.

This I agree totally, Klasnic is not a loan striker type, he needs a player to feed off and the ball at his feet
Pfffft.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Just noticed my faux pas with 'loan'

Should of course be lone - he's actually a decent loan striker

Anyway, Muamba and Holden are being asked to do the work of 3, week in week out and I don't see an obvious replacement - even after last night!

Come December, they'll be fcuked

As for trying to win everything we enter, we're not strong enough

Our start to the season has been pretty poor and anybody thinking we'll be comfortable by March is sadly mistaken

We've failed to win either of our home games - Villa away was our best display so far, so hopefully thats a sign of better things to come but for now, Coyle knows -privately at least - that efforts must be focused on the league
Sto ut Serviam

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:00 pm

Just to back CAPS up of sorts:

Link
Bolton pair Stuart Holden and Fabrice Muamba have won more tackles than anyone else so far this season apart from Blackburn's Michel Salgado.
Says to me they are either immense at tackling......OR they are making more because they are more exposed than any other midfielders. For one - fair enough we have a good tackler, for both to be in there you do wonder...

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:03 pm

Either way, we're in illustrious company. Chelsea knocked out by the Toon, Citeh by West Brom and Tottenham by lowly Arsenal.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:04 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Either way, we're in illustrious company. Chelsea knocked out by the Toon, Citeh by West Brom and Tottenham by lowly Arsenal.
And Liverpool? 1-2

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:07 pm

boltonboris wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:Either way, we're in illustrious company. Chelsea knocked out by the Toon, Citeh by West Brom and Tottenham by lowly Arsenal.
And Liverpool? 1-2
Brilliant comedic timing. I've been waiting for that goal all night.

Even more reason to have had a crack.