Hull bid for SKD

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Hull bid for SKD

Post by Riviman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Well they did a couple of years ago:

From BN website

Brown says Davo would have saved him from the sack
1:20pm Wednesday 3rd November 2010

By Liam Chronnell »

PHIL Brown insists he would still be in a job now if he had managed to sign Kevin Davies at Hull.

The former Tigers boss made an audacious swoop for the Bolton captain in his three-year reign at the KC Stadium.

Hull made a club-record bid for Davies, pictured below right, after Johan Elmander arrived in August 2008 but was met by a firm rebuff from Reebok chiefs.

And Brown, who was sacked in March, insists the striker would have been such a success on Humberside he would still be in charge now.

“I put a cheeky bid in, but it was nowhere near Bolton’s valuation,” he said. “I got my chairman to get up to £2.5million, and that was nowhere near.

“That was all I could afford, but if I’d got him at that price I’d still be at Hull now and they would still be in Premier League, no doubt about it.”

Brown, who was Sam Allardyce’s assistant at Bolton for six successful seasons, remembers when Davies first arrived at the club at the start of the 2003/04 season after his career had hit the skids following his big-money move to Blackburn.

“He’d lost his way but we were kings of the rehabilitators back then,” said Brown. “Youri Djorkaeff had come to the end of his career, and we restored his faith and belief. Gary Speed, Kevin Nolan – there were loads of players coming to the end of their careers, or who had not even started – and we were very good at helping them.

“We were one big, happy family and Kevin needed that then because he was lacking confidence.

“His ability was there but his belief wasn’t. After a couple of big moves his career had gone pear-shaped. He scored a goal early in the pre-season and he came out of his shell. The old Kevin Davies was back and that’s when his career really started.”

And Brown revealed Davies was nearly a Bolton player sooner, after a fourth round FA Cup tie in 1997.

He said: “I remember him, in the Bruce Rioch and Colin Todd era, when he was at Chesterfield and they beat us 3-1 at Burnden Park and Kevin scored a hat-trick.

“He was a 6ft 1in right winger and we tried to get him to the club back then.”

Brown, itching to get back to work after seven months out of the game, has been delighted by Wanderers’ resurgence under Owen Coyle.

Wanderers have been widely praised for playing a more attractive style of football under the Scot, but Brown is angered by the insinuation that the club used to be ugly, long-ball merchants.

“I find it very unfair,” said the former Bolton full back. “In fact, it’s hilarious. The players we had at Bolton Wanderers from 1999 until 2007: Djorkaeff, Okocha, Stelios, N’Gotti, Hierro, Campo and Speed – you just couldn’t play long-ball football.

“It was quality football and that’s why we filled out the Reebok, got to the final of the Carling Cup and qualified for Europe on two occasions.

“Sometimes it was long ball, sometimes it was short. Jay-Jay would do something wonderful with the football and then, next minute, he’d be taking a long throw, and we’d get pilloried for the long throw.

“It’s down to Graeme Souness and one comment he made on Match of the Day where he said it was a disgrace the way we played. We were winning games of football, including beating Liverpool at Anfield.

“If you play one-dimensional football you’ll get found out. We were in the Premier League for seven years on the bounce and didn’t get found out because we had more than one plan.”
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:34 pm

If only the public had realised at the time that Souness is a c0ck and should never be listened to..

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:42 pm

kevin nolan - 5 yrs ago - coming to the end of his career?? what sort of poopy-rot has brown been smoking?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:45 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:If only the public had realised at the time that Souness is a c0ck and should never be listened to..
I said consistenly over the years that the 'long-ball' tag came from Souness and O'Leary, both on MotD and both after having seen their expensively assembled sides get played off the park by our bunch of freebies and loanees. Now then, where's that out-of-work-managers list again?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:57 pm

thebish wrote:kevin nolan - 5 yrs ago - coming to the end of his career?? what sort of poopy-rot has brown been smoking?
I had to read it twice. He says players coming to the end of their careers and some just starting. Or somesuch

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:59 pm

O'Dreary is currently in charge of Al Ahli FC in Dubai, has been since the summer. They offered Klasnic "the moon" to sign on in the Gulf but he chose to stay in the Premiership. It's O'Leary's first job in something like 3 or 4 years.

Nobody with any dignity plies their trade there if they believe they've still got something to offer.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:03 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:If only the public had realised at the time that Souness is a c0ck and should never be listened to..
I said consistenly over the years that the 'long-ball' tag came from Souness and O'Leary, both on MotD and both after having seen their expensively assembled sides get played off the park by our bunch of freebies and loanees. Now then, where's that out-of-work-managers list again?
and you'd be right - it did. wankers!

Randy Watson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Randy Watson » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Ever reckon Brown will end up back at the club in some sort of role? Any one heard any rumours of ex pros/staff coming home?
Give a hand to my band… Sexual Chocolate

They play so fine don't you agree!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:20 am

thebish wrote:kevin nolan - 5 yrs ago - coming to the end of his career?? what sort of poopy-rot has brown been smoking?
Methinks you haven't read on bish...
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:18 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
I understood that without any difficulty.

Does sound like he is not trying to close the door on any future opportunities to return to Bolton some day.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:05 am

Lord Kangana wrote:

yeah - as gary pointed out yesterday...

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:08 am

Randy Watson wrote:Ever reckon Brown will end up back at the club in some sort of role? Any one heard any rumours of ex pros/staff coming home?
I'd be pleased to see him back - as a Number 2 to Coyle. That's what he's good at, in my opinion.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:47 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
Randy Watson wrote:Ever reckon Brown will end up back at the club in some sort of role? Any one heard any rumours of ex pros/staff coming home?
I'd be pleased to see him back - as a Number 2 to Coyle. That's what he's good at, in my opinion.
Got a feeling in Brown's own mind he's up there with Ferguson, Allardyce and Mourinho. Unfortunately no one else can see this ability. There's no way he'll lower himself to being a number 2 again. He'll be out of work for a while for the reason that no club he would want to go to would want him as their manager.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:49 pm

I like him.

I like his clothes.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:24 pm

jimbo wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
Got a feeling in Brown's own mind he's up there with Ferguson, Allardyce and Mourinho. Unfortunately no one else can see this ability. There's no way he'll lower himself to being a number 2 again. He'll be out of work for a while for the reason that no club he would want to go to would want him as their manager.
But he only has their ability if he had SKD on the squad.

finlayson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by finlayson » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote: They offered Klasnic "the moon" to sign on in the Gulf but he chose to stay in the Premiership.
I bet he's bloody glad he stayed here now. They would have lopped his yead off by now!!

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:59 pm

finlayson wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote: They offered Klasnic "the moon" to sign on in the Gulf but he chose to stay in the Premiership.
I bet he's bloody glad he stayed here now. They would have lopped his yead off by now!!
Away man, they'd have lopped her head of for getting (allegedly) raped.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:39 pm

Here's one for't regulars. Type 'Kevin Davies wife' into Google and look who's ugly mug shows up!!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:48 am

Brown is stupid. Davies did not want to leave here, or go there, we did not want to sell, they came up with a paltry bid, and surprise, surprise it was turned down.

In other news, Gary Megson states that if he had signed Lionel Messi he would have still been in the Bolton job. "I persuaded the chairman to go up to two packets of super size McCoys Steak and Onion", said the former Bolton manager, "but it wasn't enough for Barcelona to part company". He continued, "I could have turned him into the best attacking left back in the Premiership, and Bolton would have finished in 17th position and I would not be mowing this bloody lawn for the 75th time this year".