Bolton v Spuds

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:06 am

Irks me a bit that the stats will show another game without a clean sheet but, really, what are the odds of a team scoring even one goal of that quality
against us each game, let alone two.

Took a Spuds fan with me, moaned all the way through...how i loved it !

Ol' Twitchy's face on MOTD when we scored the third, i need to screencap that and get it as my profile picture...he looked like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:07 am

East Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:
East Lower wrote: Taylor - bobbins; should have had a hat-trick, would be shocked if his pass completion rate was over 5%
Muamba - best game of the season, should have scored at least once
Taylor misses his chances = bobbins
Muamba misses his chances = best game of the season
There is more to the game than scoring, like doing your job. Fab did his, Taylor didn't.....

apart from scoring - Taylor did his job fine - he was always involved in our link-up play and was threatening from both sides.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:16 am

FaninOz wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
ebby wrote:jamie redknapp piping on about carroll for england instead of crouch on sky sports, he must have missed davies performance yesterday to not even give him a mention
I was just watching that with my gob open. Unbelievable!
A pairing of Davies and Carroll up front would be good to watch against the French, wouldn't mind that. Both had very good games over the weekend.
Oh I agree, fella. My aghast-ness (can I have that?) and Ebby's too, I guess, came from the fact that Redknapp didn't even mention the very fella who, on the day before, ran his own father's side a merry dance.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:30 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
FaninOz wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
ebby wrote:jamie redknapp piping on about carroll for england instead of crouch on sky sports, he must have missed davies performance yesterday to not even give him a mention
I was just watching that with my gob open. Unbelievable!
A pairing of Davies and Carroll up front would be good to watch against the French, wouldn't mind that. Both had very good games over the weekend.
Oh I agree, fella. My aghast-ness (can I have that?) and Ebby's too, I guess, came from the fact that Redknapp didn't even mention the very fella who, on the day before, ran his own father's side a merry dance.
I watched the Sky replays twice on Sunday morning.

Not too much different than the Andy Gray commentary during the game. Just about everything was Tottenham did, rather than Bolton did.

1st goal - Tottenham gave the ball away too easily - nothing to do with Bolton harrying
3rd goal - Asshole Ekottu gave away a really soft penalty - not CYL actually left him with very little choice
4th goal - Tottenham pressing for an equaliser, got caught on the break. Not Holden puts in a great challenge to rob Gallas(?) of the ball and Bolton break quickly.

Everything was about what Tottenham were doing, bugger all about what Bolton were doing.
Last edited by Worthy4England on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:31 am

At the time I was wondering why, as last man, that Ekotto wasn't sent off for knocking Chung over as he was clean through......

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Something's been bugging me for weeks and it came to pass on Saturday again.

In the dying few minutes, Spuds had a corner. 11 bolton shirts promptly stuffed themselves into our box to defend.

What for the life of me I can't understand is why we keep doing this. Surely if we left Petrov or CYL on the half way line, the opposition would have to drop 2 back to defend any possible break, therefore reducing the pressure inside the box and give us an outlet if the ball runs free?

Anyone got a half decent explanantion for the tactic other rthan us just trying to crwod the ball out?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:16 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Something's been bugging me for weeks and it came to pass on Saturday again.

In the dying few minutes, Spuds had a corner. 11 bolton shirts promptly stuffed themselves into our box to defend.

What for the life of me I can't understand is why we keep doing this. Surely if we left Petrov or CYL on the half way line, the opposition would have to drop 2 back to defend any possible break, therefore reducing the pressure inside the box and give us an outlet if the ball runs free?

Anyone got a half decent explanantion for the tactic other rthan us just trying to crwod the ball out?

ahh - that's an old one! it used to get regular airing on here when Big Sam was in charge... many stats were produced and waved around - but I can't remember what the conclusion was!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:17 pm

thebish wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Something's been bugging me for weeks and it came to pass on Saturday again.

ahh - that's an old one! it used to get regular airing on here when Big Sam was in charge... many stats were produced and waved around - but I can't remember what the conclusion was!
Coyle himself came to the Fans Forum and had some stat to hand about how it is proven that you concede less goals when you have everyone back. My personal preference is everyone back bar Petrov.....let us use his pace on the counter....

Oh and Bijou - your mate Robbie didn't get a game at weekend...was he injured or just shite?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:18 pm

East Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:

Coyle himself came to the Fans Forum and had some stat to hand about how it is proven that you concede less goals when you have everyone back. My personal preference is everyone back bar Petrov.....let us use his pace on the counter....

Oh and Bijou - your mate Robbie didn't get a game at weekend...was he injured or just shite?
- and who wants to see another Petrov back-heel on the edge of our box!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:20 pm

thebish wrote:
East Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:

- and who wants to see another Petrov back-heel on the edge of our box!
Further proof!

ebby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ebby » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:37 pm

at the fans forum coyle mentioned that the chances of breaking and scoring by leaving one man up were very slim so it makes sense to do everything we can to prevent a goal

it would be interesting to know how many goals we've conceded from corners, that might give some weight to the tactic, or not...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:38 pm

The reasoning behind the 'every-man back rule' is basically down to the chances of you conceding from the oppo's set piece are quite high.. The chances of going up and scoring from it are very, very, very low
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:53 pm

I can't say I'm convinced by the argument, we just end up failing to clear the ball or keep possession and get deeper and deeper......if we could physically get any deeper than 11 in the box.

And Keane was inured, ankle knock apparently. Thank God, cos I for one wouldn't have liked to see him coming on with 4 minutes left on Saturday.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:03 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I can't say I'm convinced by the argument, we just end up failing to clear the ball or keep possession and get deeper and deeper......if we could physically get any deeper than 11 in the box.
How many have we conceded from set pieces this season? 2? The only ones I can think of were against Stoke, who are magnificently well drilled at both attacking and defending corners and free-kicks and the Pavlyuchenko one that was a magnificent shot that 99 times out of 100 isn't going in.

Pretty good record, plus we've broken quickly twice to score important goals. So for me, don't change it.. It's working
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

ebby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ebby » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:08 pm

ditto

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:11 pm

It might work statistically but its doing f*** all for my ticker!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:12 pm

Similarly, I don't like it, or agree with it, but if it works then so be it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:49 pm

And, don't forget, he also added that we have the two fastest runners closer to the edge of the box for breakaways/
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:And, don't forget, he also added that we have the two fastest runners closer to the edge of the box for breakaways/

On a similar subject, has Davo been giving Chung some heading lessons lately? He's been leaping like Helguson at times.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Marshall_42 reports from the enemy camp:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/Ro ... Reebok-930
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?