January and Clean Sheets

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

youwhat
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: January and Clean Sheets

Post by youwhat » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:47 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:I did, yes

So, lets stick to the ones I saw

Off you go...........
You probably turned it off when the third went in. Gutted.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:48 pm

Turned what off?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

youwhat
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by youwhat » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Turned what off?
The microwave you nutter.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:51 pm

So it was half baked?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

youwhat
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by youwhat » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:52 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:So it was half baked?
:D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:39 pm

youwhat wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:So it was half baked?
:D
Do keep on... you'll soon enjoy being here without feeling the need to be a constant WUM...

Only you will be able to decide the degree to which it enhances your life...

For me, so far, I'm undecided how much you enhance my life, but you have potential if you try a bit harder...

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:39 am

Does anyone think it is a goalkeeping problem?

:grin:

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:11 am

i think Jussi is as good as ever except for looking a bit lost with crosses coming into a congested penalty box.It could simply be down to style of play.The more you score the more you concede unless you are blessed with the best players in the world.For years Spurs have spent big on defenders and played an open style.No matter what they spent they still conceded plenty.Individually we'd need to spend a fair amount or get lucky to improve on what we have.Ricketts can be slow on the turn if exposed on the right,Robinson lacks pace, knight and Cahill both tend to switch off occasionally and often fail to cover one another/ get split too far apart up the pitch. When defending deeper there's often a big space behind our midfield and infront of the back 4 which used to be covered by a holding midfield player.A change of system could improve the defence at the expense of some of the entertainment we've had this season.
I doubt we can afford better defnsive players than what we already have.A better central defensive pairing would make the most difference.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:06 am

I don't think there's much of a goalkeeping problem. All goalkeepers have their weaknesses, whether its their kicking, shot-stopping or dealing with crosses, and Jussi has served us very well for a long time. I still rate him as a fantastic shot stopper.

I just think it's great that we hopefully have Al Habsi as one to succeed him, or even Bogdan, who I also rate.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:34 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote: I doubt we can afford better defnsive players than what we already have.A better central defensive pairing would make the most difference.
its the fullback , ricketts , that wants swapping out.

for reasons i cant put my finger on.

well , i can , but i'll just end up contradicting meself

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:29 pm

My feeling too but unless Cahill is sold or injured it won't happen.Ricketts has looked good bombing down the right recently though.Wonder if a Cahill Ricketts pairing would work better?

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
East Lower wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Will we ever keep a clean sheet again?

Will we buy a defender or two to help out in January? Or will it be more strikers and attacking midfield players?

I can't help but think that we're so close to being really really solid to accompany our new found attacking finesse. But we're not quite there and concede to many goals, and we have the knack of being relatively solid then conceeding from nowhere. Sunderland being an example, Blacburn another. Saturday was a classic game where had we kept a clean sheet we'd probably have won the game in the last 20 minutes. Sunderland are a stodgy team who are very solid. Make them come out against you and I think we'd have had a reasonable chance on the break.

The more I think about it, the more I think Cahill wouldn't be as big a loss as people think if we found a centre back who is positionally more solid. I thought Bent and Gyan pulled him out of position far too often on Saturday. I don't think Cahill and Knight will ever be a solid partnership (they've had long enough and not looked solid yet) and I think the money from Cahill could buy us a new centre half, or even two with one being a good young 'un.

What do people think
Sell Cahill and Knight, and bring in two new 'uns. And a right back.

I have tried to ignore Knight's failings, his willingness to just hump it upfield, his lack of concentration and awareness etc, but I'm starting to think that he wants replacing too. Maybe it's just a knee-jerk reaction after Saturday, but I don't know.

Either way, the goalkeeper isn't the problem.
I don't think anyone ever suggested it was?

Oh and like you I'm coming round to thinking we need to replace Knight as well. Though I'd like to first see him with a different partner.
Agree with this. But who?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:40 pm

How many teams are keeping cleen sheets this season ?

I think out back 4 and keeper have been playing well, considering our attacking style this season which leaves them a bit exposed and having to play high up the field. Yes Knight was sleeping in his 18 yrd. box when Sunderland scored, but does that negate the outstanding job he has been doing all season ?

Not in my books.