Saviour XI

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Re: Saviour XI

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:40 am

My Saviour XI:

- - Al Habsi - -
Spooner Newsome Laville Sinclair
Riga Dzemaili Bulent Vaz Te
Harsanyi Smolarek

Mainly made up of players who seemed like they should do well for us, had a bit of hype, didnt play as much as we thought they should have done, until we eventually found out there was a reason for it.

The exceptions to this are Al Habsi, who's still in full saviour mode and hasnt relinquished his mystique yet, and Newsome who holds his mystique forever because he never joined us in the end.

Anyway , its my pick, there'll be disagreements im sure :)

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:42 am

No Andranik :shock:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:47 am

The name Robert Fleck is coming to mind!

Also what was that young lad Todd signed who we beat off interest from about 19 clubs like Real Madrid and Man Utd for and turned out to be garbage?

And also wasn't Emannuelle Morini or sommat like that, constantly hyped as the next big thing, never made it.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:51 am

I remember the day we signed him from Roma, I was well chuffed that we'd snatched someone from such a prestigious club.

Same with Snorrason

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:52 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:No Andranik :shock:
Nope, close call but i think Bulent had a bit more hype around him for me.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:58 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:The name Robert Fleck is coming to mind!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:11 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:I remember the day we signed him from Roma, I was well chuffed that we'd snatched someone from such a prestigious club.

Same with Snorrason
Tis the one I meant alongside Morini!

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:03 pm

I'd have Jeremy Bon in goal rather than Al Habsi.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Faye was good. And Nicky Hunt was a half decent right back who played regularly.

I thought the whole ethos of this list was the mythical powers that squad members acquired by their (long term?) omittance from the first 11?
Faye was good, but then promoted to saviour after we sold him and went to shit miserably. In fairness to him, there might have been something in it (he did go on to do very well at Stoke) but I still don't think he's ever been anything more than a solid Premier League centre half. I think he'd have done no better that season than AOB, for example.

Hunt I'm talking about from when he didn't play at all. There was a feeling that he was no worse than the two we'd spent £xmillion on. Maybe true at one point at a stretch, but he'd clearly decided he didn't give a shit at this point, hence how well he's doing at Bristol City.

So yeah, I do think all at some point gained mythical powers way above and beyond their actual ability, due to not being in the team (albeit 'not being in the team' for Faye, amounted to 'not being at the club').

And I agree with Prufrock, it was harsh (and incorrect) to call a few of them woefully inept. I was typing in a rush.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:10 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Faye was good. And Nicky Hunt was a half decent right back who played regularly.

I thought the whole ethos of this list was the mythical powers that squad members acquired by their (long term?) omittance from the first 11?
Faye was good, but then promoted to saviour after we sold him and went to shit miserably. In fairness to him, there might have been something in it (he did go on to do very well at Stoke) but I still don't think he's ever been anything more than a solid Premier League centre half. I think he'd have done no better that season than AOB, for example.

Hunt I'm talking about from when he didn't play at all. There was a feeling that he was no worse than the two we'd spent £xmillion on.

So yeah, I do think all at some point gained mythical powers way above and beyond their actual ability, due to not being in the team (albeit 'not being in the team' for Faye, amounted to 'not being at the club').

And I agree with Prufrock, it was harsh (and incorrect) to call a few of them woefully inept. I was typing in a rush.
I think thats a slightly different thing more of a "players who are ok but rated too highly by BWFC fans".

You can put Tal Ben Haim in that particular list.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:10 pm

Ben Haim deserved to be highly rated. He was excellent.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:17 pm

Ben Haim was rated highly while he was playing in the team and doing his "I want to play at BWFC for the rest of my career" badly advised PR.

Like I say the rest got their abilities hugely over-rated simply because they weren't the shit c*nts who occupied the shirt.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:25 pm

I can't belive no one has mentioned John O'Kane for right back. Goalkeeper would have to be Matt Clarke for me.............no wait, he WAS a saviour, we just couldn't afford the £1.5 million transfer fee.

Post injury Geoff Chandler should get a shout as should Jamie Pollock for centre mid, possibly Circic in there and of course, for left wing Tadius Novak. City signed a Pole and we followed, thinking he'd be twice as good. Oh dear.

Im arguing with myself whether Diouffy should be in there. Scored a few, created a few, but let us down badly with the spitting, didn't live up to the billing for me and has since become the most maligned footballer on the planet and rightly so.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:29 pm

Well if we're having players we sold on then I win with my trump card of Eidur Gudjohnsson.

But I still disagree with the idea, as I don't think that players who actually were good really count. I reckon its more a team of players who had one good game (or none) who people then knew were being kept from the team by shit management.

So in my understanding, Stuart Whittaker is at least on the bench.

And John O'Kane was shit. I don't know anyone who ever rated him. Ever.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:30 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Ben Haim deserved to be highly rated. He was excellent.
Remind me which top club he's at now then and what trophies he's won?

He were ok, thats the point. If he was excellent he'd have gone on to have a really good career. But he hasn't.

He was an average defender who quite often couldn't displace Abdoulaye Meite from our starting line up! :lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:32 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:and of course, for left wing Tadius Novak. City signed a Pole and we followed, thinking he'd be twice as good. Oh dear.
BURN THE WITCH!!!! :mrgreen:

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Well if we're having players we sold on then I win with my trump card of Eidur Gudjohnsson.

But I still disagree with the idea, as I don't think that players who actually were good really count. I reckon its more a team of players who had one good game (or none) who people then knew were being kept from the team by shit management.

So in my understanding, Stuart Whittaker is at least on the bench.

And John O'Kane was shit. I don't know anyone who ever rated him. Ever.
I agree, but I couldn't think of enough of them.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:36 pm

Lord Kangana wrote: But I still disagree with the idea, as I don't think that players who actually were good really count. I reckon its more a team of players who had one good game (or none) who people then knew were being kept from the team by shit management.

indeed - the "saviours" in this thread should be those who ITK fans know - for some reason - one good pre-season goal? - chumps manager? - a youtube clip? - but the fecking useless manager just can't see it and won't play him..

if only the manager could see what us fans could see - then we'd be fecking awesome.... the fact that they are NOT picked only grows the legend around them...

andranik was - for a while - the archetype - and (I'd argue) - Klasnic - and the now untouchably awesome miracle-keeper - Al Habsi.

in this team there would be very very few genuinely "saviour" players - cos otherwise the manager would have played them more.
Last edited by thebish on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:36 pm

Reggie Blinker...
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:37 pm

Chic Charnely (again the memory has gone) but he was a mad scot.
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!