Nat Lofthouse statue

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Re: Nat Lofthouse statue

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:36 pm

Dujon wrote:Hello, John. I posted earlier that my contribution to this thread had finished but, seeing as a real sculptor has taken the trouble to have a chat with those who admired Mr L., I'm breaking my promise.

I rather like the idea of some sort of "triptych" but in a slightly different setting. For those who are unaware of the Matthews statue http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/imag ... 03x152.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; should show you what it's like (It is sited at Stoke's Brittania Stadium).

Should that be physically possible and within the bounds of any financial constrictions - which I suspect would be a problem - the idea is to use the image of Nat as a young man leaving the mine (the one which seanworth and TANGO referenced), looking forward, and two other constructs - one of Nat in BWFC football gear looking back towards the youngster and another of him dressed in his 'proper' managerial clobber also looking back at himself. In a sense the three would form a triangle of unequal sides, with the older Nat a little farther from the youngster than the player. How that would transform into the use of space, particularly its 'footprint' I have no idea. You're the expert mi-lad. I don't think I need to dwell on its intrinsic meaning.

Cheers.
Hi John,

Thanks for contributed to The Wanderer and seeking our views on the statue. I am a big fan of the statue showing Nat holding the cup, being supported by two colleagues. Or I was, until I read Dujon's post. I think his vision nails it comprehensively. (Particularly if the one of him in BWFC kit has him holding the FA Cup - because that is the definitive image of him for many people beyond Bolton.)

Is it possible?

Cheers

Zulu
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

John Pilkington
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by John Pilkington » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:51 pm

Dujon wrote:
I rather like the idea of some sort of "triptych" but in a slightly different setting.

Should that be physically possible and within the bounds of any financial constrictions - which I suspect would be a problem - the idea is to use the image of Nat as a young man leaving the mine (the one which seanworth and TANGO referenced), looking forward, and two other constructs - one of Nat in BWFC football gear looking back towards the youngster and another of him dressed in his 'proper' managerial clobber also looking back at himself. In a sense the three would form a triangle of unequal sides, with the older Nat a little farther from the youngster than the player. How that would transform into the use of space, particularly its 'footprint' I have no idea. You're the expert mi-lad. I don't think I need to dwell on its intrinsic meaning.
Dujon,

It's obvious that the bigger the piece the greater the cost will be, but despite the present "hard times", there are still plenty mega-wealthy people out there some of whom might like to fund this project. I don't yet know whether BWFC, Bolton Council, or others, intend to commission any work, and until such time that it's known who will be taking responsibility for making this happen, then nobody yet knows where a commemorative statue would be sited. Some of the footballer statues in the UK are away from football stadiums, and in the case of the relatively recently erected statue of Emlyn Hughes, it's in Barrow and was funded by the Northwest Regional Development Agency, so there might be various options.

Whoever funds any project would expect to have the greatest say over what gets made and where it gets sited, and as far as a commemorative statue is concerned, the statue should be designed and composed in such a way that it can be properly viewed in its location. I like the "narrative" of your suggestion and it could be accomplished in several different ways, which would give Lofty a unique and fitting tribute, but the actual design and composition could only be determined once it has been decided where the work would be sited.

John Pilkington
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by John Pilkington » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote: Is it possible?
Zulu,

As far as making a sculpture goes, almost anything is possible except Lofty being portrayed with his feet off the ground and no visible support!

I must stress that I haven't yet got the job, but it's my intention to try to get it. In posting on this forum, I'm trying to get as much opinion from BWFC fans as possible, so that when I approach the Powers That Be, I can talk knowledgeably about what Boltonians and BWFC fans would like to see as THEIR commemoration to the Great Man. I am presently making a "maquette" which I intend to present to the Powers That Be, so that they can see that I have the necessary ability to accomplish something good, and should I be honoured with the task, I would then be in the position to use all the information and opinions that everyone on this forum can give me. Should BWFC choose someone else other than me to make the work, I would hope that your views and opinions would be an invaluable resource so that Lofty gets a truly fantastic commemorative statue for us all to remember him by.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Are there any copyright issues surrounding use of the FA Cup (i.e. trademarked)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:33 pm

There you go, immortalised in bronze, the F.A.Cup, the Lion of Vienna and the great man himself. :wink:

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:34 pm

Aslan?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:46 pm

That is scary.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:48 pm

why not have him coming out of a wardrobe next to mr tumnus and have done with it!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Not sure about the squiggly bits as well

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:48 pm

Tango, it's Friday! You're retired.... I'd have been down the boozer by 1.30!

You have too much time on your hands owd man! :wink:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:03 pm

boltonboris wrote:Tango, it's Friday! You're retired.... I'd have been down the boozer by 1.30! You have too much time on your hands owd man! :wink:
Aye, a lot of good work on sculpture is done down the boozer. I've seen a whole roomfull of blokes in The Griffin turned into statues the minute the coppers walked in. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:15 am

Anyway John best of luck. Hope all turns out well.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:18 am

boltonboris wrote:Tango, it's Friday! You're retired.... I'd have been down the boozer by 1.30!

1.30? I've seen the retirees queuing outside Wetherspoons at half eight!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:20 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Tango, it's Friday! You're retired.... I'd have been down the boozer by 1.30!

1.30? I've seen the retirees queuing outside Wetherspoons at half eight!
Gotta get yer brekkie somewhere. It's a struggle to get meals on wheels anymore.

mrpiccollo
Promising
Promising

Post by mrpiccollo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:01 pm

is there anymore news on the Nat statue im praying its not going to be anything like the awfull fred dibnah in the town centre!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:10 pm

I certainly like Dujon's idea as well - it gives more of the whole story of Nat's life.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Eee, give over, Monty, you've got me all blushing now. :shock:

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 pm

mrpiccollo wrote:is there anymore news on the Nat statue im praying its not going to be anything like the awfull fred dibnah in the town centre!!
Jack Dearden was on Radio Manchester yesterday after the cup tie and said that he understood that the club would follow the wishes of Nat's family regarding a statue. I understand that Nat didn't want one whilst he was alive.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

John Pilkington
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by John Pilkington » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:47 pm

mrpiccollo wrote:is there anymore news on the Nat statue im praying its not going to be anything like the awfull fred dibnah in the town centre!!
I have made enquiries and it appears that BWFC is presently considering what should be done.

I am presently making a maquette (small scale model) of Nat from which my work can be judged and I will present it to BWFC for consideration. This way, everyone can see what they would be getting in advance of any commission that I would like to come my way. Likewise, if the commission were to go to someone else, one would hope that BWFC would ensure that another monumental (literally) cock up in Bolton doesn't occur. Bad work should never get erected in the first place.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:11 am

Take a picture and stick it up here if you can, Johnny boy