Wanderers vs The Villa

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Wanderers vs The Villa

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:00 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:What's the betting Linnekar agree with those on here who insist we were just lucky? Is it okay if I just pretend we played well so as to excuse the big silly smile I've been wearing since 4-49 this afternoon? :wink:
We definitely weren't just lucky. There was a helluva lot of spirit in our lads today, and some terrific defensive displays, most of all from our Gazza. The majority of us just recognise that we didn't play as well as we did against, say, Newcastle and Spurs in November...
Not saying for a minute we were perfect TW, we had some sloppy stuff in patches. I just read another headline "Klasnic sinks unlucky Villa". Don't remember anybody calling us "unlucky Bolton" even when we decidedly were. I'm just still on a high. :D
Fair enough again - and on the last point, I'm right up there with you! :D :pissed:

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:23 pm

A lot of shrugging, gurning and whinging coming from Houllier.

"Referee was crap, we should have won, we were robbed, could have been 5-1 up........blah, blah, blah".

Look, if your superstars continually cannot finish from 2 yards out then perhaps you're not as good as you think you are. nice person.

Ashley Young = disgrace.

And on a brighter note.... feckin' fantastic win for the Whites. :pissed:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:08 pm

It's 23:10 on a Saturday night after a game like that at the reebok today how can we possibly be 4th game on is beyond me

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:25 pm

enrdentw wrote:It's 23:10 on a Saturday night after a game like that at the reebok today how can we possibly be 4th game on is beyond me
Simple, we're Bolton and not playing against the top four/five (even though we're sixth). What else is new?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

martin1877coywm
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by martin1877coywm » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:31 pm

We haven't lost to bottom 10 oposition all season so why start now. COYWM!

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:04 am

Took a friend from Canada to her first ever football game, and she said - "So, you fall over by yourself, and the referee blows the whistle, eh ? Why don't they just keep falling over".
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

Horza
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Horza » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:01 am

A great win but we are pushing our luck playing without wide midfielders.
"Any useless person; any liar; any drunkard; anyone under the influence; anyone high on drugs; can talk on the Internet, and you read what he writes and you believe it."
- Muammar Gaddafi, 16/1/2011

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:15 am

My God what a spectacular win. Just got around to watching the match but it was well worth the wait! We'll be flying on an unbelievable high for the Brum match now.

BTW I think this match was the antithesis of a lot of the things said in the "If Bolton disappeared" thread. If today didn't get your blood pumping like a madman, I doubt anything ever could!

aussie_wanderer
Promising
Promising

Post by aussie_wanderer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:26 am

amazing win. so proud of the boys.
whole team played well. but wasnt impressed with muamba, didnt do his usual closing down opposition players
thaught we look alot better with mark davies and chungy on.
elmander extremely lucky not to get red card. but good to see him and stienson showing sum passion on the pitch, just be carefull not to over step the line..

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:48 am

Very happy with that result. Sure there was luck involved but the spirit of the side and the never say die attitude allowed us to take advantages when the situation arose. We have had some results go against us earlier in the season so it all balances out and right now we are in sixth.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:48 am

jonnybwfc wrote:Took a friend from Canada to her first ever football game, and she said - "So, you fall over by yourself, and the referee blows the whistle, eh ? Why don't they just keep falling over".
Yeah yeah, you've got a girlfriend, well done :lol:

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:30 am

What is it about Liverpool managers that love to blame everyone else for their predicaments. Benitez the prick did it constantly. Now Houlier blames this loss on O'Neil for selling Cahill. Think the best run Liverpool ever had under Houlier was when he was hospitalized. Maybe he should try it again to guarantee success in their relegation battle.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm still not sure how we won that game.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:10 pm

great win and superb 3 points but we were very lucky

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:12 pm

adamworthy2002 wrote:Nice to see music back after we score, not sure on the choice of song though.
On the contrary, I absolutely hate it I find it intrusive and cheesy and a bit tin-pot! But each to their own. Them drums annoy me more and more each home game too, especially that "cheat... cheat... cheat" thing, absolutely ridiculous!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:19 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:I'm still not sure how we won that game.
By being Bolton. It's the teams resiliance that keeps us where we are. Everybody thinks it would have been game over if the pen had gone in. It wouldn't have been. We'd have been looking to make it 3-2 then equalise, then go for a winner. It's the Bolton way. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :wink:

Even the Villa-biased commentators raved on about it being a cracking, end-to-end game and were amazed at the fitness levels. We got our fair share of praise for making it so. Some of the teams we've been beating are higher placed than Villa and we won the same way; the Bolton way. :D

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Two key moments for me yesterday, the saved pen (obv) and the substitutions. Jussi on the pne was quality, showing him where to put it.....watching it last night Young did not look happy, which is nice, cos he's a f*cking w@nker.

For the subs Mark Davies improved the midfield and its ability to retain the ball immensely. Villa at the start of the second where all over us, a bit like the majority of the first. Was glad to see Steinson back and he did OK v Downing but Robinson got hammered down the left time and time again. Muamba's ball retention was abysmal, in training this week they should just fire balls at him and practice his control, fecking awful yesterday. Mavies back in for Birmingham definitely. Chungy made a difference offered us something different going forward and helped the game flow end to end, rather than just towards our end. And Klasnic, well he's just different class.

Justice with the pen, wondered what Sturridge was doing at the time! I actually thought Sturridge did a lot more outside the box than all of his matches before put together yesterday, so happy with that. Davies was immense as well against an inexperienced back 4 as he should be - he was the man yesterday and we should of used him more.

For them Nigel Mediocre was very impressive....offered a swap with him and Fabrice I;d bite their hands off! Young at centre half was good as well strangely.....but their wide men should be enough to keep them clear of trouble. Naughton was good as well going forwards, he's on loan I think and will probably be snapped up in the summer.

Fantastic miss by Bent the first one! Our offside trap didn't seem to work too well.

What a game though overall, can't argue with our commitment and energy, and desire to right the wrong....superb. And that is the fundamental difference between now and then....two years ago, maybe even a year ago, we'd of been beaten yesterday.

Now onto more important matters....the cup. Have to say having an ace up your sleeve in the form of Klasnic on the bench is pretty good....maybe thats the way to go, bring Chungy and Mavies in for Sturridge and Moo...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:45 pm

officer_dibble wrote: Now onto more important matters....the cup. Have to say having an ace up your sleeve in the form of Klasnic on the bench is pretty good....maybe thats the way to go, bring Chungy and Mavies in for Sturridge and Moo...
Think it might be Taylor for Petrov to give Robbo a bit more help. Petrov has his moments but he made a couple of real sloppy passes yesterday that put us right under pressure. Occasionally he's a bit too keen to shove the ball back at Robbo when tackled. Their second goal was a result of a schoolboy error mix up with two of ours gifting them the ball by playing dodgem cars. No doubt OC will have a word.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:13 pm

martin1877coywm wrote:We haven't lost to bottom 10 oposition all season so why start now. COYWM!
didn't we lose to liverpool?

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote: Think it might be Taylor for Petrov to give Robbo a bit more help.
It needs to be - especially in away matches.

Maybe Bulgaria or Citeh can afford to have luxury creative players - but we can't.

Not a coincidence that much of Villa's danger came down thir right, our left
What goes around may still come around