Ricardo Gardner

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Ricardo Gardner

Post by mullayo » Mon May 23, 2011 2:00 pm

Love Ricky G. Always positive and exciting to watch. Good luck and God bless.
What could've happened; did.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon May 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Should be given another year I think. Good cover, won't ask for much, won't complain.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon May 23, 2011 2:52 pm

He is the reason I "discovered" BWFC when he was signed by Colin Todd after the 1998 World Cup when he played left back for Jamaica as a 19 year old. Was a left winger at high school (Wolmers Boys) and played left Wing back for Jamaica at the world cup in a 3-5-2 formation. I will always remember the beautiful cross he provided for Robbie Earle to head in to equalize against Croatia..Jamaica's first ever World Cup goal. We went on to lose 3--1.

While I would not put him into the category of a great player, for some reason, OC was never impressed with him, and played him as a central midfielder when fit behind likes of Tayor, Petrov, Robinson and Alonso who are inferior players to him. His best position was always as a wing back.

I thought he desearved at least 1 more year. I believe that we still need him to bring some maturity to what will be a very young squad next season, considering that our stated policy is investing in young players. But with OC prefering the 4 players listed above in his natural positions, it appears he wants to bring in new faces, as a central midfielder he is not.

I fell in love with BWFC because of "Bibi", and I wish him all the best. Wherever he goes, he goes without me, as I love BWFC, but I will still be following his carreer closely, as I do with every Jamaican player in the League.

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Mon May 23, 2011 3:56 pm

It was a logical decision not to offer him a deal although as someone who has grown up with Gardner in the team, it is a shame.

I imagine his last contract was pretty decent and taking the sentiment out of it, we can't be offering 25k+ contracts to players who are 50/50 whether they'll even be fit enough for ten games in 12 months.

Gardner will always be remembered fondly at the Reebok, and I was glad that despite the rest of the team playing shite, he at least looked decent in his last couple of Wanderers appearences. If the rest had been 'playing for a contract' like him then maybe we might have picked up another 5/6points in the run in but obviously some have gotten far too comfortable in their spot.

Wish him the best of luck wherever he crops up. At the same time, glad we're looking to move forward now. Anyone who is theoretically not good enough to be pulling on a Wanderers shirt for 20 games a season does not need a new contract, thus the likes of Garnder, Cohen, O'Brien etc. leaving.
http://www.twitter.com/jderbyshirebwfc

"Like putting a tiara on a shirehorse"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon May 23, 2011 4:54 pm

In fairness to Coyle, he's given him chances at the back end of next season, but he's obviously no better than we what we have or what we're looking for nowadays.

Sad to see a proper BWFC legend leave, but probably for the best.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon May 23, 2011 5:41 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:At this stage of the summer it's easy to panic. We're "expected" to release five today, with Elmander also going and two loanees leaving; that makes the squad look small, but it gives Coyle a heck of a lot of elbow room. We've said awhile that the deadwood needs clearing out, and although it's harsh to apply the term to a steadfast servant who could offer versatile back-up, the fact is he's not been in the first-team picture, there are question marks over his long-term viability (he turns 33 in September), and he's quite possibly on a disproportionately good wage for his input. Inasmuch as folk "need" one these days, the man deserves a testimonial, but the player may not be worth the money we'd need to pay him.
Elbow room yes, but it also opens up the possibility of us spreading ourselves thin, given we don't appear to have a big budget. Infact, the only way it seems we'll have any budget whatsoever will be by losing more players.

I just hope it doesn't come to the point where we've shipped out 'deadwood' so we can bring in a fresh load of 'deadwood'. I would be pleasantly surprised if our fringe players next season are as good as Gardner.

That said, I've no idea what his injury status is (though he's managed 9 games in the last 10 weeks or so) or what his wages are. On the face of it, I'd have thought he was worth keeping, one less body to replace. Thanks anyway Ricardo.

Also, if it is the end, thanks to Tamir Cohen too. I'd be interested to know how much profit we've made on his goals, compared to the money he cost.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 23, 2011 5:49 pm

time for a TW ricardo shirt in his honour??

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Elbow room yes, but it also opens up the possibility of us spreading ourselves thin, given we don't appear to have a big budget. In fact, the only way it seems we'll have any budget whatsoever will be by losing more players.
Well, quite, but you imagine OC knows that – and he appears to be thinking in terms of existing wage bill.
Tombwfc wrote:In fact, the only way it seems we'll have any budget whatsoever will be by losing more players.
Trading, by selling key assets at the top of their value. 'Sfair enough. But it's worth noting that while we've all been rubbing hands over the Cahill cash-in, there's (quite properly) been no mention of what Coyle's budget would be without a single sale. If nobody stumps up the necessary for Cahill, we need to make/save cash somehow.
Tombwfc wrote:I just hope it doesn't come to the point where we've shipped out 'deadwood' so we can bring in a fresh load of 'deadwood'. I would be pleasantly surprised if our fringe players next season are as good as Gardner.
Couldn't agree more on the first point. Guess we'll see, but he has (earned) the right to have his own squad. As for the second part, I'll be pleasantly surprised - but I'd also guess that we'd be horrified if any fringe players are on Ricardo's wage-per-input level (an assumption, I know, but a fair one).

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon May 23, 2011 9:17 pm

thebish wrote:time for a TW ricardo shirt in his honour??
Would people want one if he wasn't here?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 23, 2011 9:18 pm

I still love John McGinlay more than is healthy in a grown man. So yeah.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 23, 2011 9:25 pm

I'd buy one...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Yep. Me too.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon May 23, 2011 11:12 pm

If he's fit and on squad-player-type wages we could've kept him on for one year maybe. If he's either too expensive or not going to be fit parting ways is inevitable.

It's easier psychological to take a cut in wages and play for another team than just take a pay-cut at the same job.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

mighty_whites
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mighty_whites » Tue May 24, 2011 9:01 am

I'd buy one as well got to love BWFC legends still would buy a shirt with walker, lee, Jimmy Phillips, and can't get much of a bigger legend than Super John.

Big_Sharps
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Big_Sharps » Tue May 24, 2011 11:04 am

Done alot for the club but it is the right decision to let him go, good luck Ricardo.

cophilie
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by cophilie » Tue May 24, 2011 11:39 am

Absolute hero - one of my favourite ever players. Sad to see him go, and will hate to see him wearing another club's shirt.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue May 24, 2011 11:56 am

Lord Kangana wrote:I still love John McGinlay more than is healthy in a grown man. So yeah.
Me too. I'd also certainly buy a Gardner t-shirt and if there are any legends type ones a 'Double Scotch' inspired Walker/McGinlay combo
Pfffft.

Wanderer1983
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Wanderer1983 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:33 pm

From Marc Iles on twitter:

rumours of Bibi's release have been greatly exaggerated... heard some surprising contract news but keeping my trap shut (for once).

Perhaps he's staying for another year!

Choppers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Choppers » Tue May 24, 2011 4:38 pm

Hate that "I know something you don't, but I'll tease anyway" bullshit.

Don't mind so much when people say "...and I'll be able to reveal that on <DATE>"...
http://www.godisageek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | A Videogame Site With A Difference
http://www.twitter.com/jebusf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Twitter

n035209
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by n035209 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:06 pm

I can see him getting a year, he came back in for the last 4 games and did a half decent job (granted we lost), got picked ahead of Cohen, so can see him staying. Thats if wasnt injected up to the eye balls to play.

Be patient its only just over!!