Official Gary Cahill transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Official Gary Cahill transfer thread

Post by thebish » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Not to be prissy but unless Barça want Cahill, shouldn't all this be in the other transfer thread?
Nice use of the cedilla there! Bravo!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:26 pm

according to Click Lancashire - and (by extension) the Daily Mail...

Arsenal have matched our £17mill....
According to reports Manchester City are set to lose out on the signing of Bolton Wanderers defender Gary Cahill.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is believed to be in advanced talks for the young star.

The Daily Mail claims Wenger is in the box seat after agreeing to match the 25-year-old defender's £17 million release clause in his contract.

The Arsenal manager is determined to strengthen his suspect defence and is pushing to conclude a deal after missing out on Blackburn Rovers starlet Phil Jones.

Manchester City are also interested in Cahill, but it is understood he favours a move to the Gunners.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:30 pm

Would be quite happy with the dosh.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:34 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Would be quite happy with the dosh.
i suspect most of us just want to get it over and done with now - the sooner the better...

plus - we know all his weaknesses - so it won't affect us who he plays for! :wink:

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:35 pm

Rather him go now for 17m than wait until mid August.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:36 pm

Hope its sorted soon then we can sort a replacement now rather than at 5 minutes to go on deadline day.

mrpiccollo
Promising
Promising

Post by mrpiccollo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:42 pm

i must be the only bolton fan atm hoping we actually hang onto Cahill i know 15 mil + is alot of coin for us but if we keep him and he signs a contract extension were even better off this coming season in my eyes !!

Anyone with me?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:43 pm

mrpiccollo wrote:i must be the only bolton fan atm hoping we actually hang onto Cahill i know 15 mil + is alot of coin for us but if we keep him and he signs a contract extension were even better off this coming season in my eyes !!

Anyone with me?

no! 8)

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:41 pm

On your own, fella
Pfffft.

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:19 pm

mrpiccollo wrote:i must be the only bolton fan atm hoping we actually hang onto Cahill i know 15 mil + is alot of coin for us but if we keep him and he signs a contract extension were even better off this coming season in my eyes !!

Anyone with me?
He doesn't make £15m of difference to the defence.
On your own I think

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Anyone with me?
Provided the £15 million is spent on building the squad depth, No problem.
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:07 pm

He's never gonna sign a new contract. And he ain't all he's carcked up to be imho.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:18 pm

Gaz Tomorrow wrote:And he ain't all he's carcked up to be imho.
Better qualified judges than you think otherwise
Sto ut Serviam

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:38 pm

He's a better defender than anyone we've had for a good while, but then at 15-17M you'd be expecting him to lead from the back, so to speak, and be making stand out performance after stand out performance regularly making match-winning tackles.

The stats don't lie, and despite Cahill's obvious superiority to everyone in our defence, we've still kept an alarming lack of clean sheets in the past 2/3 years whilst he's been here, and that spell when he was out of the team and we coped better with a makeshift defence of Ricketts/Knight does not look good on Cahill. I'm not suggesting either are anywhere near as singularly good at any aspect of defending, but whether it's over reliance on him by the other defenders, or simply him failing to marshall the defence himself, for me, he's not a 15m player.

A 15m player stands out in an average mid-table team, when we had feck all on the pitch but Anelka (in his last six months) he pretty much led the attack on his own and showed he was a class above, Cahill has done that (in a defensive sense) in places, but not enough to warrant the fee he'd likely get.

He's individually good enough to probably walk into an Arsenal/City and look worth every penny though. They wouldn't need him to stand out, they'd just need him to be consistant and do his own job, rather than other average players around him.

Fact is though, that's a massive positive for us, when we sold Anelka that was taking a big risk (albeit forced) that the players brought into replace him would round the team off better- thankfully it produced 3 shrewd and 1 outstanding purchase in Taylor, Steinsson, Cohen and Cahill and was enough to keep us up that season and maintain for the next couple.

With Cahill, there is far less risk, yet it seems as though we'll pick up a similar amount and maybe a couple of million more.
http://www.twitter.com/jderbyshirebwfc

"Like putting a tiara on a shirehorse"

Horza
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Horza » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:44 pm

Can see him disappointing the Gunners if they take him for blood and thunder.
"Any useless person; any liar; any drunkard; anyone under the influence; anyone high on drugs; can talk on the Internet, and you read what he writes and you believe it."
- Muammar Gaddafi, 16/1/2011

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:00 pm

What's Villa's slice of the £17m, the usual 25% sell on clause? If so, we only get nearer £12.5m :cry:
The Voice Of Reason

Abs
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Abs » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Horza wrote:Can see him disappointing the Gunners if they take him for blood and thunder.
Arsenal fans seems to be very divided on him, alot of them feel he's very overrated and not someone who would bring whats needed to the defence. It seems like people in here dont mind losing him for a good fee, I thought he was the player that held your defence together?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:What's Villa's slice of the £17m, the usual 25% sell on clause? If so, we only get nearer £12.5m :cry:
Isn't it 25% of profit? So 17m-5m*25%= 3m for villa, 14m for us?

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:13 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:What's Villa's slice of the £17m, the usual 25% sell on clause? If so, we only get nearer £12.5m :cry:
You may well be right, just making the point that we don't get the full £17m plus is it correct that if a player doesn't request a transfer he's entitled to 10% of the fee?
The Voice Of Reason

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:16 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
You may well be right, just making the point that we don't get the full £17m plus is it correct that if a player doesn't request a transfer he's entitled to 10% of the fee?
I'm not convinced there's anything standard. Surely it all depends on what's written into his Contract?

So unless peeps have read it, hardly worth speculating upon. :-)

If it's written into the Contract that it was 25% of the profit then it's 25% of the profit.