RIP Mike Doyle

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

RIP Mike Doyle

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:23 am

Former Wanderer Mike Doyle has passed away aged 64 due to liver failure.

Though Doyle's name will always be synonymous with the last Man City side to achieve anything on merit, I still remember him playing for us in the early 80's in the latter stages of his career.

Manchester City legend Mike Doyle dies at the age of 64

Manchester-born Doyle was idolised by the fans for his combative style
Former Manchester City and England player Mike Doyle has died aged 64 after being treated for liver failure.

Doyle, who played in defence or midfield, scored 32 goals in 448 games for City and won five England caps.

With City, Doyle won the old Division One title, the FA Cup, the European Cup winners' Cup and the League Cup twice - scoring in the 1970 final and skippering them to glory in 1976.

After leaving City in 1978, Doyle played for Stoke, Bolton and Rochdale.

He hung up his boots at the end of the 1983/84 season, having played 627 matches in his career and scored 42 goals.

The father of four from Ashton-under-Lyne was being treated at Tameside Hospital.
May the bridges I burn light your way

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: RIP Mike Doyle

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:14 am

Sad news. R.I.P.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:28 pm

On Granada one Friday evening as a Stretford v Citeh derby approached they had Doyle & Macari in the studio.

Bob Greaves managed to get Macari to admit the rivalry wasn't really that big a deal for the players. He turned to Mike Doyle and he said something like "well it is for me ... I hate them and their fans".

THAT is the stuff of legends !!

Bless him. A 'proper' player.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Just been talking to a guy I know that lived near him. Apparently he got beaten up by about six tough-nut Manure fans on his way home from the pub a few years back after sharing his opinion of them with them! :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Just been talking to a guy I know that lived near him. Apparently he got beaten up by about six tough-nut Manure fans on his way home from the pub a few years back after sharing his opinion of them with them! :shock:
Blimey .... what were they doing so far from home ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:17 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Just been talking to a guy I know that lived near him. Apparently he got beaten up by about six tough-nut Manure fans on his way home from the pub a few years back after sharing his opinion of them with them! :shock:
Blimey .... what were they doing so far from home ??
They took the wrong turning on the North Circular via Hanger Lane. :mrgreen:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:25 pm

What a set of wankers those plastic barstards. They lord Gary Neville for hating the scousers & as usual can't hack it when someone has a similar opinion of them. Good to know it took six of em, well hard them lot.
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England