The Loneliness of the Long Distance Fan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: The Loneliness of the Long Distance Fan

Post by William the White » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:54 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Where were you sat at Wembley William?

Only, as I recall (and I'm desperately trying not to) we sat next to a chap, with his Wanderers supporting "mates" who, I think, was a Fulham fan. May have been Charlton though. Which was quite funny, as he was sat next to my City supporting mate. They all repress it, but deep down, they know who they'd really like to support....
If you look on the front page, LK, you will find that me and three fellow Trots were misplaced in Amsterdam that day...

For which I am now grateful...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:56 pm

Oh yeah.

He didn't go anyway did he?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:57 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Oh yeah.

He didn't go anyway did he?
No, afraid not... Though daughter and her mum and fella did... I bought her the tickets for her birthday...

she sent me a text later asking if she could exchange them for a B & Q voucher...
Last edited by William the White on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:58 pm

Well theres bloody loads of 'em then!
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:04 am

I grew up not far from Crystal Palace. Am I Owen's Eleven's cousin???

From the other perspective I have a southern accent so people often think it's strange for me to support Bolton.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:04 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Big_Sharps wrote:You should have told your Munich dad to fúck off then follow it up by singing Munich air disaster songs.
A warning, surely?
No, he can have a one month holiday. Even better.

People should realise by now that this not that kind of site.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:00 am

Guess he's none too sharp.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:04 am

Can't say I will miss having my sexuality questioned every other post I make...

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks for all the feedback - glad it's sparked a bit of chat. Shame about the slight diversion in the middle - a well-earned month off, I'd say.

Armchair Wanderer- do you have two brothers? If so, you could well be my cousin. There have been a couple of people on here that I didn't realise I knew until later!
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:29 pm

We grew up in a little town called Boothstown - not far from Salford or the Reebok actually - so I used to say we lived between Manchester and Bolton. Dad and his family were all Bolton fans so I got taken to a few games when I was young. My mum went to the odd Unit*d game, but we've slowly converted her. Sister followed suit and we all (well, sometimes) - like W*mbley - go to the odd away match together.

Now I'm living in Oxford and could see myself spending a decent amount of my life down here - or back home nr. Exeter, anyway. I'd still be Bolton, though see the odd Oxford game perhaps. If/ when I have a son/daughter, I'd ensure Bolton were their first team, regardless of distance from the 'Bok. There are away matches, right!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Only time I've ever lived away from Bolton and district was two years in Yorkshire, with the nearest team with a recognisable football name being Burnley. Surrounded by natives of Hebden Bridge, Todmorden, Mytholmroyd and other such alien places with wierd accents, supporting Bolton was my only link with reality. Nice Wuthering Heights type views and all that, but coming home was a real joy. Supporting Burnley was just never an option even had I been stretched on a rack and flogged with burning faggots. "They can take my life but they'll never take my BOLTONNNNNN!" :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:11 am

Like a few others who populate this site I'm ex-Bolton, although I left at the age of eleven. Even though I had to suffer a drought of information about the team (I didn't know we'd sunk to div. 4 until we were back in div. 3) I didn't forget them (or it). Over the years football (soccer here, which differentiates it from the other 'football' codes) gained some sort of credence in the press and short snippets of information began to filter through. Then came the WWW and that dam burst. Wonderful.

My children I have not even attempted to influence, whether it be in sport in general or football in particular - never mind a specific team. It was their decision and not their dad's. As it happens my daughter became involved in netball (her team won the local competition) whilst my son concentrated on social rather than organised team competition (he loved(s) mountain bike riding although now he's married I think he's sold off his bikes). Why on Earth would they follow Bolton? They have no connection with the town other than by me being from the area - likewise with England. I suspect that they think that I'm a bit dotty still following Bolton and, to be honest, I probably am. Old alleigances die hard.

Whilst to some of you that might seem extreme I believe that letting your children choose their own teams, if they so wish, then let them do so. 'Grooming' them to follow Bolton could well result in disappointment any road.

O's 11 I thank you for the article.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Big_Sharps wrote:You should have told your Munich dad to fúck off then follow it up by singing Munich air disaster songs.
A warning, surely?

Jesus cunting christ. Political correctness gone mad.

Or is it just rampant hypocrisy? I noticed the following post:

How did they get on against Torpedo Belgrano? :P
So we can all happily laugh at the deaths of a couple of hundred Argentian teenage consrcipts, but if anyone says anything about the air-crash which occurred 50-odd years ago, and which Manchester United PLC ruthlessly exploited to make their current fortune, they get banned?

A genuine question. I wouldn't like to fall foul of these rules. Which deaths are we allowed to mock/laugh at/ridicule, and which must we doff our caps to. and promise to tiptoe around very solemnly indeed?

Could someone let me know?

Thanks
XXX.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Can't say I will miss having my sexuality questioned every other post I make...
Those pots wont wash themselves...
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:47 pm

:lol:

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
A warning, surely?

Knew he'd get a ban. As soon as he posted the comment I thought he'd be on thin ice..
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

Horza
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Horza » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:10 pm

channeling 2399:

Am going to get our snazzy away kit and give it large to more Anfield United Chelsenal plastics.
"Any useless person; any liar; any drunkard; anyone under the influence; anyone high on drugs; can talk on the Internet, and you read what he writes and you believe it."
- Muammar Gaddafi, 16/1/2011

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:36 pm

I'm a strange case. Mum is from Little Hulton, Dad from Cannock near Wolverhampton. They moved down here to Devon 25ish years ago and I've lived here all my life. My dad is a keen football follower but has no allegiance to any particular club, other than our local one - Exeter City. I got into football at around 10 or 11 and dabbled with a few plastics before settling with Wanderers (much influence from my Mum and Gran about how their side of the family support Bolton, How my great Uncle had trials for the club and how my Grandad spent almost a weeks wages to get to Wembley in '58). Being down here I don't see as many matches as i would want to, but I am undoubtedly a Wanderer. I have however, since i was maybe 7 or 8 gone to see Exeter City play. Partly through my Dad but also just to see some regular competitive football. I have a lot of time for Exeter City and the club and fans but it doesn't in anyway affect my Bolton loyalty or stop me knowing who the one true club is. I'd say that it has worked out pretty well for me and is a good solution to anyone who lives a decent distance from the Reebok. I still know I'm a Wanderer, I know where my roots are, but I have something local to me too.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Gaz Tomorrow wrote:I'm a strange case. Mum is from Little Hulton, Dad from Cannock near Wolverhampton.
my mother's family was from round there - Rugeley - then they moved to Wolverhampton...

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:00 am

Puskas wrote:
Jesus cunting christ. Political correctness gone mad.

Or is it just rampant hypocrisy? I noticed the following post:

How did they get on against Torpedo Belgrano? :P
So we can all happily laugh at the deaths of a couple of hundred Argentian teenage consrcipts, but if anyone says anything about the air-crash which occurred 50-odd years ago, and which Manchester United PLC ruthlessly exploited to make their current fortune, they get banned?

A genuine question. I wouldn't like to fall foul of these rules. Which deaths are we allowed to mock/laugh at/ridicule, and which must we doff our caps to. and promise to tiptoe around very solemnly indeed?

Could someone let me know?

Thanks
XXX.
it is pretty clever... its a reference to the team that beat river plate to relgate them.

the boat and the football team are named after the same person.