Aaaaaaaaanyway, Norwich at Home.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Aaaaaaaaanyway, Norwich at Home.

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:09 am

I'm sure Davies and Ricketts didn't literally mean that they piss about all week, then Coyle sits them down on a Saturday to say "You lads are in the team, you lads aren't. Remember that it actually doesn't matter because you're all brilliant... now go out there and do stuff. Right, now tell them some jokes Blakey, I'll see you at the ping-pong table in five. Oh, and all stay back at corners."

We obviously do have tactics, a formation, and an idea of what the feck we're doing, you'd just never be able to tell at the minute.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:24 am

Tombwfc wrote:I'm sure Davies and Ricketts didn't literally mean that they piss about all week, then Coyle sits them down on a Saturday to say "You lads are in the team, you lads aren't. Remember that it actually doesn't matter because you're all brilliant... now go out there and do stuff. Right, now tell them some jokes Blakey, I'll see you at the ping-pong table in five. Oh, and all stay back at corners."
I prefer to believe this at the moment - sounds more like Coyle's management style

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:28 am

grim. just grim
oh and shocking- i expected an up and at em, we're better than these, our season starts now performance
and a win.
grim
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:56 am

I have to say these facts are quite worrying

Ninth defeat in the last 10 league games
Fifth consecutive home defeat
Worst run of home form since 1903.

and surprise surprise....it was Norwich's first Premier League away victory in 32 attempts, same old story if any team or player has a bad record to break just play Bolton

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:00 am

Peter Thompson wrote:I have to say these facts are quite worrying

Ninth defeat in the last 10 league games
Fifth consecutive home defeat
Worst run of home form since 1903.

and surprise surprise....it was Norwich's first Premier League away victory in 32 attempts, same old story if any team or player has a bad record to break just play Bolton
Just to correct you this is our worst run of home form EVER! 1903 was four consecutive home league defeats, this time it's 5! It's ok though, Chelsea next and we have a tip top home record against them........ :shock:

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:01 am

It's ok Chelsea are next up

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:06 am

We are fast approaching that "Sammy Lee" moment, stick or twist Garty?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:16 am

William the White reports on our Canary catching gone wrong.

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/so ... nd-chelsea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:16 am

Dont think so Hoboh,not until xmas at the earliest. This was a difficult start to the season ,last season peetered out and we have a lot of new players to integrate. Garty is smart enough to back the investment and judgement made.Way to early to panic. Bolton are a confidence team tho,always in a good or bad run,lets hope in two months time we'll be fighting off talk of Coyle managing Arsenal!

Choppers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Choppers » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:43 am

For me this is almost entirely about Coyle's matey matey-ness with the players, and a complete inability to change up formation when it needs it.

We have the players to go 4-2-3-1, and it's clear we should be doing it because we have shit "first choice" strikers, wingers who can't defend, and defensive mids who aren't really defensive.

Need Dropping: Davies, Klasnic, Knight.

Why? Davies (who is looking a spent force, as I said pre-season) and Knight are the reason we can't retain possession. Davies can't keep it, and Knight hoofs it to Davies. Remove them and our ball retention will skyrocket, percentage wise. Klasnic, as much of a quality striker as he is, just is not a starting eleven player. He does so little for extended periods, he's a liability that a team like ours can't afford.

My (regular) team would be:

-----------------Jussi--------------------

Steinsson - Cahill - Boyata - Robinson

-----------M Davies*--Reo Coker--------

Eagles-----------Tuncay-----------Petrov

------------------N'Gog-------------------

That said, until we can either impove our left back, or get a left winger who supports the left back, we're gonna be screwed.

*Or Muamba, depending on opposition.

Oh and I have no idea why we bought Wheater, because Coyle has decided to bring in another defender on loan. Waste of money that was then.

Another quick though: I'm still convinced that Eagles is a central midfielder, a-la Mark Davies too.
http://www.godisageek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | A Videogame Site With A Difference
http://www.twitter.com/jebusf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Twitter

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:40 pm

No folks, you're not listening to a rehearsal for Riverdance; it's just the reaction of feet from all that knee-jerking that's going on. All it needs is a win to change it all. So,let's see: We've had two games so far that could sanely be classed as winnable; we won one and have lost one. No other teams in the mid/lower sections are exactly going to get points freely from the teams we've played so far. Despite all the doom and gloom, the bedsheets, burning torches and pitchforks, get rid of the players, sack the manager etc etc, we've still managed eleven seasons up here. We'll pull out of it. It's a Bolton thing. Grips will be got.... :wink:

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Did anyone see from the kickoff at the start of the game the Norwich players concentrate on our lefthand side? Obviously making the statement that they knew where we're vulnerable.

The two goals did come from our left but just set pieces and very scrappy.

Also, I don't know if anyone's mentioned this but Petrov seems to be stepping up to the plate more than some. He took the ball for the penalty and after the match I saw Petrov and Cahill applauding the fans briefly, if anyone else did that I missed it.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:46 pm

All very well saying that TD but despite nobody expecting us to beat Man Utd it's the scoreline and ease that worries. West Brom gave them a far more competitive game than we did and only lost narrowly 2-1. The signs are very much there, would be foolish to ignore them. If you can't beat Norwich at home, I'm not sure there are many games you can count as 'winnable'.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Blame OC all you can but the simple truth of the matter is that we are not playing at premier League level at the moment. It has nothing to do with formation. None of the players except for Petrov, Ngog and NRC seem to be playing at the levels to survive this league.

Blame it on the amount of work behind the scenes in pre season that OC did to get new players in. We have not had enough time to get everyone up to the standards required. Thank God we have the big boys first. We will probable be at the bottom after 7 games. However, i hope at the end of this brutal schedule list, that the players would have got use to the PL pace. KD has been playing at that pace for years, so the too slow argument I dont buy. He is just not up to scratch at this point.

But he is not alone. Almost he whole team isn't, and the problem is that it has been brutally exposed by the top teams, and I think we had underestimated Norwich. Hopefully we get up to speed before the players all get used to losing.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:All very well saying that TD but despite nobody expecting us to beat Man Utd it's the scoreline and ease that worries. West Brom gave them a far more competitive game than we did and only lost narrowly 2-1. The signs are very much there, would be foolish to ignore them. If you can't beat Norwich at home, I'm not sure there are many games you can count as 'winnable'.
You claim to have been watching Bolton for a long time BWFCI. We're never predictable, never have been, so how can you predict? We had a bad day, no, a bad start, so we either just keep supporting or write them off. Instant solutions aen't an option. Just have to trust the manager to sort it or get the bed sheets ready. I'll stick with "Come on you Whites" thanks.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:10 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:All very well saying that TD but despite nobody expecting us to beat Man Utd it's the scoreline and ease that worries. West Brom gave them a far more competitive game than we did and only lost narrowly 2-1. The signs are very much there, would be foolish to ignore them. If you can't beat Norwich at home, I'm not sure there are many games you can count as 'winnable'.
You claim to have been watching Bolton for a long time BWFCI. We're never predictable, never have been, so how can you predict? We had a bad day, no, a bad start, so we either just keep supporting or write them off. Instant solutions aen't an option. Just have to trust the manager to sort it or get the bed sheets ready. I'll stick with "Come on you Whites" thanks.

why just two choices? can't we keep supporting but moan about being crap and hope against hope for the odd good day?? surely that's how most of us have always supported Bolton!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
At the minute we are predictable though, we are predictably easy to beat. I've no doubt we will improve, we have to. But since Holden has been out we've displayed bottom of the table form. And the worrying thing is that despite the QPR result we've continued bang on in that vein. The problems are not being addressed. To have set the worst run of home form in the clubs history is very worrying when we rely on our home form as away we are not very good. Especially when Arsenal and Chelsea are next.

As I say I expect us to improve, I just hope it's not too late and that when we do improve we build a run of wins that we will need. The most disappointing thing overall is that we seem incapable of doing anything other than treading water over the past 5 years or so irrespective of who is in charge and what players are brought in.

IMO we have a squad that if managed properly could finish towards the top half, I just hope it starts being managed properly!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Indeed. It's so fecking frustrating when you look at the personnel. Coyle is a fantastic man manger but I'm starting to think he is fecking clueless in other aspects. There are such easy, basic steps that he will not take on the basis of some sort of principles. You only have to contrast with Lambert. Another young Scottish manager building a reputation for attractive football. And you saw that from the first minute, everytime Jussi had the ball, they had one in front of Davies, and one behind, like United last week. They also had deliberately targeted our left flank, where every fecking goal seems to have come from. I started the game yesterday knowing f*ck all about probably half of the Norwich team. You got the impression our coaching staff were the same. No idea, and no plan, and it's unforgivable that such basic solutions are discarded because we're 'concentrating on us'. I've said before, there isn't a binary choice between the dull as dishwater negative, passive approach of Megson, and the cavalier we'll (probably not) score one more than you of Coyle.

Tits.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: I just hope it's not too late
:spank:

How many points were you expecting from the first seven... I'm guessing we're currently less than or equal to three short...
and yesterday was a poor showing... but we weren't ever getting feck all from off ; Utd, Citeh, the scousers and probably Chelsea the Arse
because we never do...
May be we've had the opportunity to alight on the personnel changes required for the rest of the year during a run of games where neither we or any of our principle
bottom eight competitors will get owt.....

Too late? -- Too feck late? -- it's September we've not even changed the clocks yet.. and we've only played two likely to be winnable fixtures...
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:06 pm

norm the jedi wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: I just hope it's not too late
:spank:

How many points were you expecting from the first seven... I'm guessing we're currently less than or equal to three short...
and yesterday was a poor showing... but we weren't ever getting feck all from off ; Utd, Citeh, the scousers and probably Chelsea the Arse
because we never do...
May be we've had the opportunity to alight on the personnel changes required for the rest of the year during a run of games where neither we or any of our principle
bottom eight competitors will get owt.....

Too late? -- Too feck late? -- it's September we've not even changed the clocks yet.. and we've only played two likely to be winnable fixtures...
Folk keep saying that but lose to Arsenal and Chelsea, with confidence rock bottom and us bottom of the pile, those 'winnable' fixtures will look a lot harder than they did last season. And for the umpteenth time it's not just that we are losing it's that we are a disorganised shambles, dosnt matter who you are playing if you are as poorly organised as we are!