Mark Davies

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Mark Davies

Post by malcd1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:40 am

Today's Sun newspaper quote:

Bolton midfielder Mark Davies is a £4m target for Premier League rivals West Brom.

Now I like Mavis and consider him to be one of our better players BUT how much is he worth and what size bid would you start the car for?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Mark Davies

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:42 am

Probably about £4 Million to be honest.. I like him, he has clear ability, but he doesn't really suit our system.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:48 am

boltonboris wrote:Probably about £4 Million to be honest.. I like him, he has clear ability, but he doesn't really suit our system.
We have a system?????

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:49 am

:-)

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:50 am

It's coming to something when West Brom consider us easy pickings.

newcarsmell
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by newcarsmell » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:10 am

The last accounts valued the playing squad at around £64million.

Even with a little recalculation for the sale of Al Habsi & Matty Taylor and the money spent bringing in the two Burnley lads & Ngog.. Six months on and that figure is looking desperately optimistic.

Our mvp, Cahill could still potentially leave for nowt..

Our 2nd mvp, Holden, God forbid, may not be upto playing at this level again..

I would be pretty confident, should a decent cash offer for Mavies come in.. he'd be sold

Same with Robinson and any fit other player ...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:22 am

Player valuations in accounts are just transfer fee + cost of remaining contract isn't it?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:47 am

ratbert wrote:It's coming to something when West Brom consider us easy pickings.
Not easy pickings, necessarily. I'd say £4m isn't far off a fair price for someone who has been an irregular Premier League starter. Of course you have to factor in potential improvement and thus value rise but it's not like they've offered us a fart in a crisp packet.

newcarsmell
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by newcarsmell » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:30 pm

boltonboris wrote:Player valuations in accounts are just transfer fee + cost of remaining contract isn't it?
Under Fixed Assets... it says

The directors estimate the current value of the playing sqaud to be £61.5 million

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:03 pm

So, just to re-cap: We're bottom of the league, about to lose our star-man central defender, our two best players are still on the injured list, our goal last week scored by a full back just off it, loan chances looking very slim and we want to talk about one of our better lads getting sold for four million as an achievement? I mean we're so very strong in midfield aren't we and MD is one of the few players who can beat a man and get the ball forward without hoofitis. Aye, get rid, we've always got Pratley to fall back on. Fxcking hell!
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:So, just to re-cap: We're bottom of the league, about to lose our star-man central defender, our two best players are still on the injured list, our goal last week scored by a full back just off it, loan chances looking very slim and we want to talk about one of our better lads getting sold for four million as an achievement? I mean we're so very strong in midfield aren't we and MD is one of the few players who can beat a man and get the ball forward without hoofitis. Aye, get rid, we've always got Pratley to fall back on. Fxcking hell!
When we go down and lose 40 odd million pounds then I think this decision would look very different. We're going to need to raise a shed load of cash to balance the books when we go down.

Selling most of the squad is an inevitability unless ED fancies giving us another very sizeable loan, and if he did, he'd have been far better doing that in the summer cos now its throwing good money after bad...

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:18 pm

Bloody hell, I'd carry him "Yoda-esque" in my backpack down to The Hawthorns for that. He's bloody useless.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:39 pm

The Wolves fans would really really love him if he went to the Baggies.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:40 pm

He's bloody useless at the moment, but have the feeling he'd be an absolute stand out player in the Championship and someone who'd be key to us coming back up. He'd do a similar job to Hoolahan did for Norwich, someone else who has struggled to find his natural position in the Premier League.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:44 pm

The mind boggleth. :roll:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:55 pm

I'm struggling with the concept that he's "useless/rubbish/crap" at the moment. He's been one of our stand-out players this season.

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:03 pm

wouldn't even bat an eyelid at anything under 6 mil, good talent and can only get better.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:05 pm

truewhite15 wrote:I'm struggling with the concept that he's "useless/rubbish/crap" at the moment. He's been one of our stand-out players this season.
At doing what exactly?

Providing cover for the defence, scoring goals No;an style, setting up goals?

I do wish someone could explain the myth of mavies one day.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:06 pm

What's the mind boggling at? He has great feet, can dribble with the ball, and can pass - I think we're all agreed on that. Problem comes with him playing the game of football, which I'm still not convinced he's very good at. He can't play in any position in the 4-4-2 that we're so rigidly sticking to. There's plenty of other players who've had the same problems in the past and struggled to fulfill their promise and potential.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:09 pm

MD is definitely in OC's first XI at the moment, or has been recently. He's not out of contract in the summer and you'd think he'd be one for the future.

Selling would be puzzling unless OC has spotted a Holden mkII. With a more-Holden-like player alongside a NRC/Muamba we'd be able to play Petrov and Eagles and be able to move the ball forwards as well as winning it back in the middle. With Ricketts/Alonso/anyone other than Robbo Petrov looks decent and on the other side Riley/Gretar/Mears behind Eagles/LCY should be ok.

So on the one hand it'd be a shame, but on the other hand if we fix our center-mid we may actually be a half decent side for half a season.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.