Sammy Lee returning as youth coach

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Sammy Lee returning as youth coach

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:04 pm

thebish wrote:at a club like ours - maybe any club - it's hard to know how an ordinary fan would have much an idea how good an academy coach is or isn't - even a first team coach..

rightly or wrongly we have our benchmarks and measuring sticks for managers - but backroom staff?

I, for one, think it's quite big of Coyle to invite back someone who used to have his job - and quite big of Sam to accept a lesser role at a club where he was once top dog...

not sure I'd like to see Jiminho dumped completely - is he being moved sideways/upways/downways??
tbh, I think it can, in the end, only be judged by the product coming through.

Not like every junior is going to become the next Messi, but a handful coming through the the first team squad and a good number who don't quite making a decent living in the next levels.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:11 pm

I imagine it will a kind of 'Academy Director' role. Similar to what Arnesen was doing at Chelsea, or Neil whatever his name is, is doing there now.

He oversees it all. The coaches do the coaching
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: but I can't join in the Two Minutes' Hate for Sammy Lee.
Go on - it's easy if you try, as somebody once said.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:29 pm

thebish wrote:at a club like ours - maybe any club - it's hard to know how an ordinary fan would have much an idea how good an academy coach is or isn't - even a first team coach..

rightly or wrongly we have our benchmarks and measuring sticks for managers - but backroom staff?

I, for one, think it's quite big of Coyle to invite back someone who used to have his job - and quite big of Sam to accept a lesser role at a club where he was once top dog...

not sure I'd like to see Jiminho dumped completely - is he being moved sideways/upways/downways??
I doubt Coyle has had the call on this one...

Probably Gartside has set it up, probably cos Eddie wasn't happy with the progress.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I doubt Coyle has had the call on this one...

Probably Gartside has set it up, probably cos Eddie wasn't happy with the progress.
I doubt your doubt. Coyle has long banged on about the youth setup and (rightly or wrongly) it would be very off for the present manager not to have a say in the hiring of key staff for it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:20 pm

If little Sam can use his coaching (club and international) to give our youth set up a kick up the arse i am in!

We aint producing enough youngsters.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

I doubt your doubt. Coyle has long banged on about the youth setup and (rightly or wrongly) it would be very off for the present manager not to have a say in the hiring of key staff for it.
Probably has had a say, no doubt. Whether he picked Lee or whether Gartside recommended him, who knows?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

Probably has had a say, no doubt. Whether he picked Lee or whether Gartside recommended him, who knows?
Maybe he will speak "... Sammy Lee is a super, super guy. Tremendously experienced in the Barclay's Premier League and will bring great things to Bolton Wanderers Football Club .... " etc., etc.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:49 pm

I agree.

It's not even that easy to see what effect a number 2 has as so often are they carted round with their boss on the merry-go-round. Often only in examples like United with Queiroz can you see some evidence on the pitch. Maybe we saw some differences with and without Brown under Allardyce but I don't think they're easy to spot and directly attribute.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:59 pm

I dont get some of the animosity toward Lee here. He was injured after 4 games when he came as a player IIRC, was coach alongside Allardyce during a period when we were quite successful,inherited a declining team and mistakenly set out on a fools errand of trying to outfootball multimillionaire teams with a bunch of free signings at a time when the fans and the media where calling for a change from the Allardyce approach which had at the time become pretty stale.
Not really a cv deserving of lynching. From the perspective of families with talented young footballers as a parent would you be advising your kid to get coached by a former European cup winner with experience of playing abroad and coaching at a high level in the premiership or would you go for an average lower league fullback who had a year at rangers where they had to narrow the pitch to avoid being exploited down the flanks.
Having said that I hope there is a role somewhere for Phillips as he has been a great servant to the club and is actually a Bolton lad.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote: Heard Phil Brown on the radio the other day, cup replay I think. I've always thought there should be some kind of job for him at the Reebok if he wants it.
I was at Preston v Orient on Saturday. Don't think I've ever seen a poorer side than what is essentially Phil Brown's Preston. Didn't manage a single shot at goal and all of their set-pieces ended up with their own 'keeper. :conf:

I always had this problem with Brown telling the likes of Djorkaeff, "Right, Youri, this is how we used to do it at Halifax.." :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:19 pm

Athers wrote:

I agree.

It's not even that easy to see what effect a number 2 has as so often are they carted round with their boss on the merry-go-round. Often only in examples like United with Queiroz can you see some evidence on the pitch. Maybe we saw some differences with and without Brown under Allardyce but I don't think they're easy to spot and directly attribute.
Usually, people only really bring it up when they want to make a point about the manager. The people who didn't like Allardyce used to say that it was Browny doing all the work behind the scenes, people who can't bring themselves to criticise Coyle feel more comfortable blaming it on Steve Davis and the fat bloke who carries the cones.

So yeah, I've no real idea how good a coach Lee, Phillips or any of them are. I presume that if Sammy was good enough for Houillier, Benitez and Allardyce he must have some sort of idea what he's doing.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Athers wrote:

I agree.

Usually, people only really bring it up when they want to make a point about the manager. The people who didn't like Allardyce used to say that it was Browny doing all the work behind the scenes, people who can't bring themselves to criticise Coyle feel more comfortable blaming it on Steve Davis and the fat bloke who carries the cones.

So yeah, I've no real idea how good a coach Lee, Phillips or any of them are. I presume that if Sammy was good enough for Houillier, Benitez and Allardyce he must have some sort of idea what he's doing.

might be wrong but i think that is fred barber the man who no one knows where he is

it's not like you can miss him
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:35 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:
Athers wrote:

I agree.

might be wrong but i think that is fred barber the man who no one knows where he is

No way in hell is that Fred Barber, my friend.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:19 am

truewhite15 wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:
Athers wrote:

I agree.

Usually, people only really bring it up when they want to make a point about the manager. The people who didn't like Allardyce used to say that it was Browny doing all the work behind the scenes, people who can't bring themselves to criticise Coyle feel more comfortable blaming it on Steve Davis and the fat bloke who carries the cones. So yeah, I've no real idea how good a coach Lee, Phillips or any of them are. I presume that if Sammy was good enough for Houillier, Benitez and Allardyce he must have some sort of idea what he's doing.
might be wrong but i think that is fred barber the man who no one knows where he is it's not like you can miss him
He may have EATEN Fred Barber !!

Trotski
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Trotski » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:37 am

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:I dont get some of the animosity toward Lee here. He was injured after 4 games when he came as a player IIRC, was coach alongside Allardyce during a period when we were quite successful,inherited a declining team and mistakenly set out on a fools errand of trying to outfootball multimillionaire teams with a bunch of free signings at a time when the fans and the media where calling for a change from the Allardyce approach which had at the time become pretty stale.
Not really a cv deserving of lynching. From the perspective of families with talented young footballers as a parent would you be advising your kid to get coached by a former European cup winner with experience of playing abroad and coaching at a high level in the premiership or would you go for an average lower league fullback who had a year at rangers where they had to narrow the pitch to avoid being exploited down the flanks.
Having said that I hope there is a role somewhere for Phillips as he has been a great servant to the club and is actually a Bolton lad.
As a manager he was a disaster. He inherited a pretty sound setup, good players, Europe, bit of money and a positive vibe from fans and club alike. He stupidly signed piss poor players by the bucketload. I was almost on tears when Braathen and Wilhelmsson came in. And Xabi Alonso's inept older brother too? And then trying to play these shit players in a Barcelona-wanabee style?

Safe to say Lee was incompetent, if the club hadn't realized their grave mistake early on and brought in the wonder that is Megson, Sammy Lee singelhandedly could have brougt the club to it's knees.

Very rare to hear something positive about Megson nowadays, but he is a Mourinho class manager compared to Lee. Still an incompetent clogger killjoy and a Shitty manager though.

Still, Lee is welcome as a youth coach.
Oh coitus!

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:34 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote: Heard Phil Brown on the radio the other day, cup replay I think. I've always thought there should be some kind of job for him at the Reebok if he wants it.
I was at Preston v Orient on Saturday. Don't think I've ever seen a poorer side than what is essentially Phil Brown's Preston. Didn't manage a single shot at goal and all of their set-pieces ended up with their own 'keeper. :conf:

I always had this problem with Brown telling the likes of Djorkaeff, "Right, Youri, this is how we used to do it at Halifax.." :shock:
There seems to be a misguided love for Brownie amongst some Bolton fans. Sh*t player and sh*t manager, yet because he 'bleeds BWFC' he should automatically have a job here.

No thanks!

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:44 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:
Athers wrote:

I agree.

is this the chubster your talking about
Attachments
0,,1004~9049796,00.jpg
0,,1004~9049796,00.jpg (41.3 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Either that or Fredi Bobic has put a lot of weight on....
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:55 pm

The bloke he is talking about is Coyle's brother in law and our kit man.

He walks around the pitch before games etc...he's fat. Very fat.

An embarrassment actually for a football club.

And its definitely not Fred Barber.