Top Goal Scorer this season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Barr Hill
Hopeful
Hopeful

Top Goal Scorer this season

Post by Barr Hill » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:31 am

Ever the optimist I have a small bet on Bolton being champions this season and got odds of 8/1.
On signing Benik Afobe on a seasons long loan my lad asked me to place a bet on him being the top scorer in the Championship this season. I nipped into the local William Hill and they had him at at 25/1. Not being a big gambler I put £5 on him.
I went home and opened a Paddy Power account and I couldn't see any odds for Afobe at all. I contacted them for a price and to my surprise they gave me 100/1. Hence a £20 punt.

Is he worth the bet or not? If so get a bet on with Paddy Power before the odds fall!!!

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Top Goal Scorer this season

Post by SmokinFrazier » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:36 am

He's worth a shout at 100/1 purely because he's the third choice striker in a team who will win lots of games. If he performs well, I wouldn't be surprised to see him become our first choice striker so it's worth a punt at those odds.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:29 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:a team who will win lots of games.
that a promise??!

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:41 am

I see Afobe in the sort of role that Michael Ricketts had when he first came to Bolton - coming off the bench to grab the goals when the opposition were tiring towards the end of games. I wouldn't expect he'd start many games to begin with.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:02 am

Coyle did mention at the fans forum that the Sordell Afobe partnership has caught his eye pre-season. If it develops I can see that being first choice later in the season.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Coyle did mention at the fans forum that the Sordell Afobe partnership has caught his eye pre-season. If it develops I can see that being first choice later in the season.
I think he said that because it's what the kidz want to hear...
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:58 am

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Coyle did mention at the fans forum that the Sordell Afobe partnership has caught his eye pre-season. If it develops I can see that being first choice later in the season.
I think he said that because it's what the kidz want to hear...
Maybe, but it may well be the right way to go.

Adam Wilson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Adam Wilson » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:14 am

Yeah I'd jump on those odds tbh, let's hope you're going to be a richer man in May Bar Hill!

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:51 pm

I stuck my free £10 Skybet on Sordell to be top scorer at 25/1.

Nothing to lose and might as well be a bit optimistic!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:54 pm

This is a man who up until now has scored five league goals in his life, and none at all in the Championship. 100/1 is probably about right.

I would fancy Sordell to be up there though..

Barr Hill
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barr Hill » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:33 am

Tombwfc wrote:This is a man who up until now has scored five league goals in his life, and none at all in the Championship. 100/1 is probably about right.

I would fancy Sordell to be up there though..
I have taken the gamble based on my hope that Bolton win promotion. If this happens you can assume Bolton will have some of the leading goal scorers by the end of the season. I feel Afobe will get a fair crack in the team(part of the loan deal) and if he scores early on then he may be 1st choice striker

Hence the bet at 100/1

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scotty » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:09 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:He's worth a shout at 100/1 purely because he's the third choice striker in a team who will win lots of games. If he performs well, I wouldn't be surprised to see him become our first choice striker so it's worth a punt at those odds.
To win lots of games in The Championship you need to be able to defend set pieces and keep clean sheets, something Coyle doesn't have a clue how to do.

Having said that, 100/1 doesn't sound bad odds given the number of chances he should get if the midfield fulfil their potential.
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....