The League Cup

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Re: The League Cup

Post by Verbal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 am

Fair dinkum.

Gonna book mine on Friday. Don't think I've been on proper terraces since Stockport County were in the division one. A 0-0 I seem to remember, shocking apart from Claus Jensen hitting the bar with a free kick. Lovely stuff.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:16 am

Verbal wrote:Fair dinkum.

Gonna book mine on Friday. Don't think I've been on proper terraces since Stockport County were in the division one. A 0-0 I seem to remember, shocking apart from Claus Jensen hitting the bar with a free kick. Lovely stuff.
ah yes. iirc John Mcginley was in the crowd that day?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:23 am

General Mannerheim wrote:

Wasn't that a Friday night?

The season after was a cracker!!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:32 am

boltonboris wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:

Wasn't that a Friday night?

The season after was a cracker!!
Definitely an evening, not sure if it was a Friday though.

I remember the ball getting kicked out of the 'stadium' a couple of times.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:44 am

Are there any plans to meet up prior to the game?
The Voice Of Reason

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:29 am

How will you be getting there, ST? DSB (although he may be getting the car down it seems) proposed a meet-up at Victoria station for those going via London - and one which I heartily agree with for those for who it is convenient to do so.

Otherwise a pre-match sup would be much welcome. Crawleyites, locals, GG - any recommendations for decent boozers?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:56 am

Verbal wrote:How will you be getting there, ST? DSB (although he may be getting the car down it seems) proposed a meet-up at Victoria station for those going via London - and one which I heartily agree with for those for who it is convenient to do so.

Otherwise a pre-match sup would be much welcome. Crawleyites, locals, GG - any recommendations for decent boozers?
Yeah, prob best to name a nearby boozer then we can meet up there regardless of transport and tardiness. Nowt to stop those coming from Victoria having a meet-up there too :wink:

Barr Hill
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barr Hill » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:50 am

Verbal wrote:Fair dinkum. Gonna book mine on Friday. Don't think I've been on proper terraces since Stockport County were in the division one. A 0-0 I seem to remember, shocking apart from Claus Jensen hitting the bar with a free kick. Lovely stuff.

Macclesfield away in the FA Cup last season - we were in an open terrace!!!

jjstewart
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jjstewart » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:56 pm

hey guys just wondered if I could ask you a question about getting tickets for this match. Ive read this forum for a while but never posted. Anyway I am a wanderers fan but I live in Crawley so obviously this draw is ideal for me to see the wanderers as I havent seen them since that fateful day at wembley as I have been stuck in the depths of cornwall. I have already had some offers of tickets from friends of mine that are season tickets holders at Crawley but I want to be in the away end.

So i wanted to ask if I buy tickets tomorrow online do they post them out or are they expecting them to be collected. I emailed the ticket office but didnt get a respose. I ask because I was a bit concerned about them arriving in time what with it being a bank holiday weekend. I have never bought tickets through the BWFC site as when they play in london I get tickets through friends and end up in the away end. anyway if someone can clear that up it would be great.

cheers guys

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:33 pm

jjstewart wrote:hey guys just wondered if I could ask you a question about getting tickets for this match. Ive read this forum for a while but never posted. Anyway I am a wanderers fan but I live in Crawley so obviously this draw is ideal for me to see the wanderers as I havent seen them since that fateful day at wembley as I have been stuck in the depths of cornwall. I have already had some offers of tickets from friends of mine that are season tickets holders at Crawley but I want to be in the away end.

So i wanted to ask if I buy tickets tomorrow online do they post them out or are they expecting them to be collected. I emailed the ticket office but didnt get a respose. I ask because I was a bit concerned about them arriving in time what with it being a bank holiday weekend. I have never bought tickets through the BWFC site as when they play in london I get tickets through friends and end up in the away end. anyway if someone can clear that up it would be great.

cheers guys
I think they post them. Last few away games in London (lived here for a year or so) I've just askwed them to post it to my address and it's been fine.

Good point about bank holiday weekend though, ne'er thought of that.
Hmm.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Verbal wrote:How will you be getting there, ST? DSB (although he may be getting the car down it seems) proposed a meet-up at Victoria station for those going via London - and one which I heartily agree with for those for who it is convenient to do so.

I'll be staying over nr Heathrow so its easier for me to travel round the M25/M23 than to travel into central London so any meeting points near the ground would be preferable for me
The Voice Of Reason

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Boozer near the ground suits me as I work south London. Only 10 mins from Victoria mind you. Anyone know the Crawley ground pub scene?!
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:30 pm

There was this advice on WWs.. :? :shock:

Bar Med; that place is pretty grim. I think most people start out at the Punchbowl pub and work their way up the street to the various bars. The ground is near K2, the sports centre. Nothing much else round there, apart from a roundabout.

As I say, it's nasty, so best stay in London longer, get the fast train to Southampton Central from Victoria, get off at Three Bridges station (takes 40 mins) and jump in a cab outside or order one from the Snooty Fox (typical station pub opposite) Once its over, get back to London as soon as you can.

Anything to add JJ?
The Voice Of Reason

jjstewart
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jjstewart » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Well I wouldnt want the job of working at the Crawley tourism board but that made it sound worse than it probably is. There is a pub at the ground (called REDZ) which is meant to be ok and welcomes all fans. To be honest ive never been in it but when I have been past its been busy and seems good. Around the corner is a pub called the half moon which I went in for the first time before crawleys game on saturday and its nice. there were away fans there drinking happily. Its litterally a few mins walk from the broadfield stadium and if you look hard enough you can probably park around there for those that are driving.

As for the recomendations in that quote Bar med is grim but its more of a nightclub and cant see people going there for drinks before a match but each to their own I suppose but it is grim. The punchbowl is in the high street in town and would be slightly awkward for people just to have a quick one before the game. But if you are in Crawley and have some time to kill the high street has a few pubs/bars that people could choose between (or work their way through). If you are coming from victoria then three bridges is the easiest station to get to but is further away from the ground than the main crawley station and the snooty fox opposite the station is decent but as said a typical commuter pub i guess.

the 'get back to london as soon as you can' seems a bit harsh but Crawley isnt the greatest of places and as many of you will be heading back north it makes sense to leave relatively promptly haha.

those are my ramblings regarding crawley. im happy to answer any questions but I may not be the greatest help as I have been away to uni last couple of years and the stadium is in a part of town i dont go to much so not really familiar with all the drinking establishments

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:
Verbal wrote:How will you be getting there, ST? DSB (although he may be getting the car down it seems) proposed a meet-up at Victoria station for those going via London - and one which I heartily agree with for those for who it is convenient to do so. Otherwise a pre-match sup would be much welcome. Crawleyites, locals, GG - any recommendations for decent boozers?
I'll be staying over nr Heathrow so its easier for me to travel round the M25/M23 than to travel into central London so any meeting points near the ground would be preferable for me
I live not far from Heathrow so I'll race you round the M25. It'll be empty at that time of day, right? :|

Mind, the above descriptions aren't making me think the Rough Guide To Crawley would be a best-seller...

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:
Verbal wrote:How will you be getting there, ST? DSB (although he may be getting the car down it seems) proposed a meet-up at Victoria station for those going via London - and one which I heartily agree with for those for who it is convenient to do so. Otherwise a pre-match sup would be much welcome. Crawleyites, locals, GG - any recommendations for decent boozers?
I live not far from Heathrow so I'll race you round the M25. It'll be empty at that time of day, right? :|

Mind, the above descriptions aren't making me think the Rough Guide To Crawley would be a best-seller...
Its only 50 miles away so not far but the M25 can be so unpredictable. I was going to leave around 5.30 just to make sure and give myself time for a drink
The Voice Of Reason

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:48 am

Just bought mine!

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:56 am

JJStewart said: "There is a pub at the ground (called REDZ) which is meant to be ok and welcomes all fans."

Sounds like it might fit the bill for me.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 am

Plan. Shall we say there at 7?

On a side note, re tickets and it being a bank holiday. Just booked mine. But as it is a bank holiday will it get here on time? If it doesn't can I just turn up with the confirmation email.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:09 am

yeah. can you send that email to me and ill print out a couple too...