If Coyle gets the sack

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to take over if this dick gets the sack

Di Canio
19%
Mick McCarthy
16%
Billy Davies
7%
Hierro
9%
Campo
6%
Eddie Howe
1%
Curbishley
13%
Walter Smith
4%
Frank Spencer
9%
Other
17%

Total votes: 112

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: If Coyle gets the sack

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:40 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
thebish wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:I vote a conglomerate on a rota basis of The Wanderers regulars to manage.
Bagsy me do cup games.
Can I be your assistant manager? We've only got FA Cup left now
can i be the fat guy who carries the footballs?
Bish you were born to be the fat guy who carries the footballs :)
yay!! :pissed:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I believe Hill is into sports science DSB, do you know?

I suppose it would be the sort of risky appointment, a bit like when we got Allardyce. Can someone who's been successful in the lower leagues take Bolton up and do ok with them up there?
Interesting innit. Although BSA was well-versed in lower-league managerial experience, how much of our subsequent success was due to that and how much to canny playing in the big leagues - wise transfer policies and extensive contacts, etc? I don't claim to know the answer.

Speaking of which, no idea if Hill's into sports science :D
Oh I think Allardyce adapted. He himself said he made mistakes, like coming in and telling Johansen he had no future cos he was "too small".

Realised that was a mistake towards the end of that season, bit too late to keep Michael.

Thats the thing with anyone, they have to grow into the job.

Not championing Hill by any means, don't know nearly enough about him. Clearly though he is rough around the edges, bit like Allardyce was.

For me managers are not so much about "record" but about "fit".

Allardyce was a perfect fit here and we let him learn the tools of top level management in an ideal environment for us and him.

Sometimes managers can have average careers at most places but just find that one club where they fit and everything works (Mr Rioch I'm referring to you).

It might be that Brendan Rodgers will never re-create the success he had at a "pre-built" Swansea for example. I don't know.

I think what I'm saying is that at the time Allardyce was courted we also interviewed the popular candidate, Roy Evans, who IIRC most fans fancied, probably because he'd won something at Liverpool and was well known. Certainly if records counted.....

But its about finding the right fit more than anything else. Something I'm not sure we've really done since Allardyce.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:50 am

Again, I can see the logic in each appointment since.

Lee had learned under Allardyce (and others - Houllier, Eriksson) but wanted to play the 'better' football many fans desired.

Megson was hired as the pragmatist to sort out that mess.

Coyle was hired as the popular attacking-football good-time guy to sort out that mess.

Despite the league table I still don't think we're in that much of a mess; we don't feel like a disaster zone, just a decent squad in need of clear and wise leadership. I honestly think there's probably a dozen managers who could get this squad in the top six. Whether any of them could kick us on from there is a whole other question...

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:41 pm

Never mind the manager, it's Garty who needs to go. Who has overseen the steady demise of the club over the past 6 years? Who appointed 3 poor managers in succession after failing to support a push for Champions League football?

The call here should be Gartside out or trust me on this one, we'll end up with another pish poor, low rent manager once Coyle does go. I've stayed well away from calling for Coyle's head over the past months and have been willing to give the guy a chance at turnng things round, but I'm struggling to defend the bloke at the moment. What will be critical is the replacement who comes in and I really don't trust Garty to make anywhere near a decent enough appointment.

If Garty stays, I'm betting Ian Dowie will fly up the bookies tables for the job. God help us.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Never mind the manager, it's Garty who needs to go. Who has overseen the steady demise of the club over the past 6 years? Who appointed 3 poor managers in succession after failing to support a push for Champions League football?

The call here should be Gartside out or trust me on this one, we'll end up with another pish poor, low rent manager once Coyle does go. I've stayed well away from calling for Coyle's head over the past months and have been willing to give the guy a chance at turnng things round, but I'm struggling to defend the bloke at the moment. What will be critical is the replacement who comes in and I really don't trust Garty to make anywhere near a decent enough appointment.

If Garty stays, I'm betting Ian Dowie will fly up the bookies tables for the job. God help us.
Perhaps Garty got lucky with Sam, but he certainly backed him and bought into the whole project. Didn't he get Eddie Davies to open his chequebook throughout? Phil also seemed to take a somewhat active role in our player business, as a certain Parorama documentary showed :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:40 pm

50sQuiff wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Never mind the manager, it's Garty who needs to go. Who has overseen the steady demise of the club over the past 6 years? Who appointed 3 poor managers in succession after failing to support a push for Champions League football?

Perhaps Garty got lucky with Sam, but he certainly backed him and bought into the whole project. Didn't he get Eddie Davies to open his chequebook throughout? Phil also seemed to take a somewhat active role in our player business, as a certain Parorama documentary showed :)
Lets just remember who brought Eddie Davies into the club to make all the Okocha's, Anelka's, Hierro's etc possible.....

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Fair comment BWFCi but that's now becoming ancient history. What matters is where we are now as a result of recent decisions and where we are heading.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:51 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Fair comment BWFCi but that's now becoming ancient history. What matters is where we are now as a result of recent decisions and where we are heading.
I agree, but I'm not sure having a new chairman will mean we suddenly appoint the next Allardyce.

Essentially Gartside is constrained by whatever Eddie Davies wants to do. He may well advise but I don't think changing Gartside will see a sudden spark of ambition we'd not seen before or a sudden "genius appointment".

I think Lee was a mistake, Megson a necessary if not too expensive evil, Coyle looked a promising alternative but has not in the longer term been anything short of a disaster.

Gartside doesn't have a crystal ball and I have some sympathy with him.

His main role is the manage the operation of the club as a business and the transfer dealings. Lets be honest he's delivered most players managers have asked for. And the club seems to have been well run.

If the issue is managerial appointments, I don't see how a new man picking the manager will guarantee any greater success.

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:04 pm

The whole club needs a Sheikh up.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:33 pm

This is my worry if Coyle does go. We aren't in a position to go out and bring in a manager who you know will bring success to the club so no matter who we go for, it'll be a gamble. Either it'll be someone experienced along the lines of McCarthy, or it'll be someone young like Di Canio. Both of those are a risk because one group is full of guys who have failed at the exact same level Coyle did and the other group is full of guys who haven't accomplished what Coyle has. They may be quality managers or they may just have fluked success at a low level, there's no way of knowing. I showed my support for Di Canio in another thread but I realise that would be a massive gamble.

People should be careful about what they wish for. Coyle isn't a great manager but I don't buy into this dangerous 'anyone but Coyle' mentality. That will only lead towards failure because no matter how bad people think Coyle is, there are plenty of worse managers out there and some of them will be on the shortlist to replace Coyle if/when he leaves. Even a proven manager like Sven was given a big budget and still failed in this league - who can we possibly go for who is more bankable than Sven?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:49 pm

I was "anyone but Coyle" until you see some of the options.

So I'm now "anyone that could do a better overall job than Coyle" as, clearly he's lost the plot but some options wouldn't offer certain improvement. However, there must be a good few who have not lost their nerve, the fans respect nor the players.

So, yes, there are plenty I would not want to replace him, but I remain of the view that things are probably already too far gone to keeping him. It would take an amazing turn of fortune, form & attitude to turn it around. So much, in fact, that if he actually managed it, it wouldn't be unfair to ask how the hell things got so poor in the first place.

That, btw, is a conundrum I'd be happy to suffer.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:33 pm

With the exception of Megson not certain you can slag off Gartsides choices for manager.

Allardyce was a risk that worked, Sammy Lee was a risk that didn't, but he was assitant to Sam in our most successful period, and wanted a go, he got a chance as he should have... didn't work and he was booted... fair enough. You cannot really slag Gartside off for that

Megson, god only knows why we got him, but actually we binned him at the right time. Wasn't too late to save us, and it gave Coyle a chance to bring people in... Coyle should have gone around the same time last season to be honest...

We can slag off gartside with hindsight for Coyle, but actually at the time he was pretty much the most highly viewed young manager in the land... was a bit of a coup for the club.... Burnley flying high etc...etc... So for me the only about appointing Coyle you can give him shit for is the fact he's not sacked him yet....
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:55 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:With the exception of Megson not certain you can slag off Gartsides choices for manager.

Allardyce was a risk that worked, Sammy Lee was a risk that didn't, but he was assitant to Sam in our most successful period, and wanted a go, he got a chance as he should have... didn't work and he was booted... fair enough. You cannot really slag Gartside off for that

Megson, god only knows why we got him, but actually we binned him at the right time. Wasn't too late to save us, and it gave Coyle a chance to bring people in... Coyle should have gone around the same time last season to be honest...

We can slag off gartside with hindsight for Coyle, but actually at the time he was pretty much the most highly viewed young manager in the land... was a bit of a coup for the club.... Burnley flying high etc...etc... So for me the only about appointing Coyle you can give him shit for is the fact he's not sacked him yet....
Good points. GARTSIDE IN!

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:14 pm

Some of you lot would be great at the hokey-cokey

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:20 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:With the exception of Megson not certain you can slag off Gartsides choices for manager.

Even Megson was the right choice at the time.We were a shambles and megson brought discipline organisation and incredible public relations

I'd better sign on in a few different names and push that annoying scots fella up this pole. DiCanio dickohnono

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:02 pm

TKIZ! wrote:I vote a conglomerate on a rota basis of The Wanderers regulars to manage.
I just want to take training!
back packs, up winter hill
practising defending corners!

newcarsmell
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by newcarsmell » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:22 pm

Just seen this on the DM website

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... n-job.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know if it's been posted elsewhere... but it looks like the pressure is mounting and quite rightly too !

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:07 pm

Absolutely no new quotes. Just Daily Mail writing their own projection over day old quotes.

Nothing to see here.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:30 am

Prufrock wrote:Absolutely no new quotes. Just Daily Mail writing their own projection over day old quotes.

Nothing to see here.
This. And now the DM are suggesting Curbishley is being lined up. Which I'm sure he isn't and again the story is speculating rather than on solid foundation.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:52 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Can you imagine A1's team talks ?
:lol:

I'll do the team talks!