Sheffield Wednesday Away

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Sheffield Wednesday Away

Post by norm the jedi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:45 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:It's certainly a bit different over here. You can always take beer to your seat at hockey and football games, while they bring it to your seat at baseball games. As the temperature cools at football games people bring their own much stronger stimulants. I suppose people are chucked out for being drunk and disorderly (I had football season tickets for many years and never witnessed it), but not for simple possession or even being inebriated but orderly.
Hillsboro, Hysel, Bradford... and a couple of thousand smashed up town centres and huge policing bills finally put paid to all that here..
Legislators as a rule aren't football fans.. Ditto High Court judges and law lords.. as these are the people who formulate policy
the fact that the vast majority of us could enjoy a civilised pint and a sporting event is lost in the imagery of a couple of generations of
scumbags who saw it as a necessary preparative for mass disorder and mayhem..
You Canadians are obviously more civilised.. and my only experience of FOOTBALL North American style was SOLDIER FIELD in January...
I was wearing all my clothes ... I couldn't hardly move, never mind drink beer and fight!
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:55 pm

norm the jedi wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:It's certainly a bit different over here. You can always take beer to your seat at hockey and football games, while they bring it to your seat at baseball games. As the temperature cools at football games people bring their own much stronger stimulants. I suppose people are chucked out for being drunk and disorderly (I had football season tickets for many years and never witnessed it), but not for simple possession or even being inebriated but orderly.
Hillsboro, Hysel, Bradford... and a couple of thousand smashed up town centres and huge policing bills finally put paid to all that here..
Legislators as a rule aren't football fans.. Ditto High Court judges and law lords.. as these are the people who formulate policy
the fact that the vast majority of us could enjoy a civilised pint and a sporting event is lost in the imagery of a couple of generations of
scumbags who saw it as a necessary preparative for mass disorder and mayhem..
You Canadians are obviously more civilised.. and my only experience of FOOTBALL North American style was SOLDIER FIELD in January...
I was wearing all my clothes ... I couldn't hardly move, never mind drink beer and fight!
Well, we have the odd hockey riot but that is seldom attributed to fans in the arenas, but troublemakers from nearby bars which we cannot legislate against. The football I attended were in all-seater stadiums so there was plenty of room for a hip flask. Chicago in January is seldom conducive to shirt sleeves. Our football ends in November before it gets too cold.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:24 am

Just watched the highlights on the champiinship what i recorded.

anyway they showed us winning 2-1

which was nice

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:39 am

Good to get an away win on the board.

7 mins of highlights here: http://www.footreview.net/home/viewvide ... 1-2-bolton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for anyone who missed the goals n stuff.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:43 am

Worthy4England wrote:Good to get an away win on the board.

7 mins of highlights here: http://www.footreview.net/home/viewvide ... 1-2-bolton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for anyone who missed the goals n stuff.

I guess that would include me!

I heard about someone falling off the tier the away fans were sat in into the one below. I hope they're okay, puts things into perspective that - could have been very nasty indeed.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:46 am

I heard (third hand) that the lad who fell is fine.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:52 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:This from the official site on Mark Davies's goal:

"within a matter of minutes Mark Davies pounced on a loose ball, before lashing a stunning left-footed drive into the top corner to ultimately send 2,400 travelling Bolton fans home happy."

Funny that, I could have sworn Kevin Davies slid a pass down the middle to the edge of the box and M.D. twisted and turned his way past three defenders before firing home. Have to watch that again tonight. Who am I to argue with the official site?
It's kinder than saying "Kevin Davies scuffed his only touch of the game sideways which Mark Davies pounced on." :twisted:
From my perspective it was neither down the middle or scuffed. He controlled the ball, saw Mavies, and passed it sideways (slightly backwards in fact). Of course Mavies did the rest which was not inconsiderable.
I shall ring a loud bell for you Monty next time I'm pulling someone's leg.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:02 am

norm the jedi wrote:Er well done Owen...
I'll not join the club that has your victories as accidents and everything including bobbins refereeing on your plate..
You may well be shite but when you send a team out and it wins away from home when 100's of experts - strangely yet to be employed by any professional team - are calling you from 15 minutes before kick off.. Then fair play credit where it's due..
You also appear to have accidentally signed a decent midfield enforcer ... and if you've seen Marvin in training every day for six months.. and don't fancy him ultimately that's up to you.. and you're probably best placed to judge.. any road up it'll be your wages you're backing that judgement with not mine or any other broadband beckenbauer's..
Good win.. and good spirit to come back from another feck awful conference referreeing decision.. also nice of Mark Davies to finally turn up..

COYWM..
I think you will find that it is uncle Eddie's and the other sources of money (including the supporter's) that he playing with. I have absolutely no faith that Coyle has learnt any lessons from the last 18 months.

Regarding Sordell, none of us know what has happened behind the scenes but based upon his previous tactic of freezing out anyone who probably doesn't see eye to eye with him I would suggest Coyle is an insecure, unbenevolent dictator whose public persona is very much at odds with what happens behind closed doors.

That was a good result - or should I say unexpected - yesterday. The more I reflect upon it the more I believe that the basis of the team is fine but that the forwards who played yesterday have nothing to offer. I would drop N'gog and Afobe and go with one mobile striker. Mad, I know, but maybe we should even play without a recognised striker at all with the two central attacking midfield players being allowed to roam at will only whilst we have the ball putting a further pair of defensive midfielders in as sweepers behind. Packing out the midfield would certainly shield the defence.

It would look something like this:

Bogdan
Riley - Mills - Knight - Alonso/Warnock
Spearing - Andrews (Holden when fit)
Lee - Eagles - M Davies - Petrov

I would stick with the back 4 apart from Mears. Alonso showed enough for me to see he may have something there after all, i.e. some of his tackles which did come off reminded me of Bibi. Warnock, because he isn't ours should only be used in an emergency to cover injury (as should have Afobe).

It won't happen. Coyle seems to be in love triangle with KD and N'gog and on the basis that we won one game with this team he will play them again against Palace. It may not be a bad thing if the players were all to gain a bit more confidence.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:05 am

It won't happen coz it's fecking mental!

I could never 'want us to lose' even if I understood the logic of those who said they would if it meant getting rid of him.

I'm hoping he's stumbled onto a winning formula by accident. The narrow four in midfield made us look a lot more solid against Watford (despite how shit we were second half I never though they looked like scoring, not anywhere near as much as teams normally do anyway. My worry is how we score goals given we've been very narrow and the width in this system is supposed to come from the full backs. If teams come to the Reebok for a nil-nil, matching us up in midfield, I worry when our creative input rests on Tyrone Mears, who is an 'attacking' full back who doesn't attack space, doesn't overlap, is indecisive, and can't cross; oh, and Alonso, who is gash.

We could of course take different approaches for different games, but I fear that would take a little more subtlety from a man whose approach seems to be, we won, lets stick with this randomly generated set of players until they lose, then go back to a flat 4-4-2.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:30 am

Prufrock wrote:It won't happen coz it's fecking mental!
Yeah, but Spain did it...and we have similar players at our disposal...Alonso, he's Spanish.

I think we over-complicate something very simple, becuse we've seen it elsewhere with much better players than we have.

I'd be delighted with:

1) a defence that focussed on defending.
2) a midfield that gave them (with our personnel) two DM's - or in old currency, one Campo.
3) some midfield that was capable of attacking, scoring and crossing - that could be two or three players - it would be nice if they could tackle too
4) some attackers, who could just focus on putting the ball in the net - which is what it's all about. That could be one or two players, but should be at least one.

Fecking link-up men, players in the hole, inverted wingers, overlapping full-backs - MY ARSE - do the simple things then when that's done successfully, maybe try and adapt it a little to different situations.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:41 am

Klasnic would score for fun in this league

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:00 pm

Ngog didn't look like scoring it's because he wasn't in goalscoring positions, i.e. he was chasing the ball down and making passes outside their box. If he's low on confidence I'd rather he just passed it to Eagles. But then also like him looking dangerous in the box and running at the back post for a tap-in which might also improve your confidence.

If you're going to have one winger (looked to me like Eagles was hugging the touchline for most of the game at Hillsborough) then you probably need one of the forwards to run around winning the ball to get the ball and get it to that winger... then he can cross it to Kev. On the other side Mears is a decoy so that Mavies can cut inside, or give it to Mears for a cross. This seems to be the strategy to me. You have to play SKD because he's "our best forward and club captain" along with someone to run around like Ngog was doing. Afobe seemed to be doing the same thing as Ngog when he came on, so maybe Sordell just isn't as good in that kind of role, maybe he's more of a fox in the box and if he's not running around getting the ball he might not get much service.

This makes sense to me at the time of writing and because we won and played well I'm happy. Personally I don't mind if we're mid-table as long as we play well and look like we can win.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Ngog didn't look like scoring it's because he wasn't in goalscoring positions, i.e. he was chasing the ball down and making passes outside their box. If he's low on confidence I'd rather he just passed it to Eagles. But then also like him looking dangerous in the box and running at the back post for a tap-in which might also improve your confidence.

If you're going to have one winger (looked to me like Eagles was hugging the touchline for most of the game at Hillsborough) then you probably need one of the forwards to run around winning the ball to get the ball and get it to that winger... then he can cross it to Kev. On the other side Mears is a decoy so that Mavies can cut inside, or give it to Mears for a cross. This seems to be the strategy to me. You have to play SKD because he's "our best forward and club captain" along with someone to run around like Ngog was doing. Afobe seemed to be doing the same thing as Ngog when he came on, so maybe Sordell just isn't as good in that kind of role, maybe he's more of a fox in the box and if he's not running around getting the ball he might not get much service.

This makes sense to me at the time of writing and because we won and played well I'm happy. Personally I don't mind if we're mid-table as long as we play well and look like we can win.
From what little I've seen of Sordell he does seem to be pretty mobile popping up across the line then drifting into the box late.His movement and hold up play have looked pretty good but his finishing sketchy. That said at least he doesnt seem frightened to look to get in a scoring position or have a shot.It's possible his workrate would not match Ngog and if that is the issue you can see why there may be some bad feeling between him and Coyle.Unfortunately coyle's standard go to man management technique of freezing out individuals does not appear to improve matters very often.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote: . Personally I don't mind if we're mid-table as long as we play well and look like we can win.
Not a sentiment shared by many. People might claim that, but winning is what we need to do. We need a battling "Nolanesque" type of attitude back in the side. If the wins are scrappy, so be it, but in this league, winning is what it's all about in the end. There are no Chelsea, Man U, City, Arsenal or Liverpool, ie, teams who you don't expect to beat. Here, we need to believe we can beat everybody. Football's a business, give them some respect, but beat them anyway or getting back in the big-time will pass us by. The "taking part" bit of the Olympic attitude doesn't apply where league football is concerned. Win!.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote: . Personally I don't mind if we're mid-table as long as we play well and look like we can win.
Not a sentiment shared by many. People might claim that, but winning is what we need to do. We need a battling "Nolanesque" type of attitude back in the side. If the wins are scrappy, so be it, but in this league, winning is what it's all about in the end. There are no Chelsea, Man U, City, Arsenal or Liverpool, ie, teams who you don't expect to beat. Here, we need to believe we can beat everybody. Football's a business, give them some respect, but beat them anyway or getting back in the big-time will pass us by. The "taking part" bit of the Olympic attitude doesn't apply where league football is concerned. Win!.
Amen :pray:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:55 pm

If he's found a formulae, fine. I'm far from convinced. Too many false dawns.

First thing you need in this league is fight, then organisation. Eagles will get us 20 goals this season, I'm convinced Sordell and Davies (K) would get into double figures, used sensibly (I.e. not 3 games in a week for the old man). N'Gog doesn't convince me as a goalscorer (doesn't shoot!) but he's an excellent footballer and should play in a 442.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:58 pm

There is a video of the guy falling on here along with some great comments! Idiots.

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index. ... try4002305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Another funny topic :lol:

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index. ... try4000973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Hoboh wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Amen :pray:
Totally... you have to win games to be comfortably mid-table. I just meant that if we're favourites to win games at home I can get people to come with me. And if once we go we have a good go at the opposition and/or win, it might be enjoyable and they might come back. Some of the games I went to last year I wouldn't wish on anyone.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:15 pm

ChrisC wrote:There is a video of the guy falling on here along with some great comments! Idiots.

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index. ... try4002305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it me, or is that just a video of the authorities looking at him after the fall ?

.... & the camera on an elastic band ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".