Wanderers away at Millwall

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wanderers away at Millwall

Post by thebish » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:13 pm

Martin_Cruise wrote:
thebish wrote:well... we've had unprecedented success over the last decade and have seen some of the finest players ever to wear the Wanderers shirt... and - crucially - we have not gone bankrupt or through administration...
We had 4 1/2 great seasons under Sam although that's including his last season when some people reckon the decline had started.

I make that 5 1/2 years short of a decade .

If you're counting not getting relegated under Lee/ Megson/ Coyle for 4 seasons as unprecendented success then I don't agree.
well - I'd rather be us than (err...) Portsmouth

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:15 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:Come off it...

Gartside has been great for Bolton. Saying otherwise is short sighted nonsense.
Come on then Phil (or Phil's relative), what has he done that's great please back up your comments - me short sighted you must also be a relative of Mr Magoo if you think Gartside has been great.

He's totally mis managed the business running up a £100M debt over 10-11 years, despite an annual income of around £50M - £60M
per annum, he's been responsible for personally appointing Sammy Lee Gary Megson & Coyle (after all he knows best !) - sh*te after sh*te after sh*te.

Overseeing a disastrous costly relegation from the premierleague, and then sitting back doing fcuk all allowing a clueless manager to guide us to 18th in the championship - Yes he's been great....
He isn't flawless but to dismiss all the good he's brought to the club is foolish. We don't have to pay the debts back, we have a great stadium, top class training facilities, a very good squad of players and under Gartside, we had unprecedented success on the field.

Sure, he's appointed some poor choices but which chairman hasn't? Look at a club like Newcastle, Leeds, Forest, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Southampton, Wolves, Villa and so on. We aren't the only club to have appointed a poor series of managers. At the top level, it's not uncommon at all.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:15 pm

If gartside sacks coyle now he saves face

if he leaves it to christmas its weak imo and shows bad judgement.

People have correctly been calling for his head for 12 months - we are only in this league cos he's in charge now. We may go down again given the chance!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:34 pm

FFS. Just seen the result. I really didn't believe that would happen!!!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:57 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:FFS. Just seen the result. I really didn't believe that would happen!!!
Indeed Millwall have been poor at home this season. So far we've only beaten dross, you cant keep pointing at bad luck.I thought we'd win this and the next and he'd get a stay of execution but there is no justification for him continuing now. He just doesnt learn. How can he still pick Mavis right midfield and leave CYL on the bench? still play Ngog alongside KD ? still take off players who can defend and put on players who cant thus ensuring we snatch nothing instead of a point,still play 442 away with only 2 players who can tackle infront of the back 4, still leave our most consistent defender of the past 2 years on the bench and play two incredibly slow/dosy centre halves, still have expensive signings who apparently are being frozen out?
It's a picture of mismanagement and he is out of ideas, his signings have mostly failed, he has no idea of tactics or organisation and he seems better at alienating players than motivating them. If he stays you can only assume the board has some master plan to kill the club and sell the ground.It makes no sense.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:59 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:FFS. Just seen the result. I really didn't believe that would happen!!!
Indeed Millwall have been poor at home this season. So far we've only beaten dross, you cant keep pointing at bad luck.I thought we'd win this and the next and he'd get a stay of execution but there is no justification for him continuing now. He just doesnt learn. How can he still pick Mavis right midfield and leave CYL on the bench? still play Ngog alongside KD ? still take off players who can defend and put on players who cant thus ensuring we snatch nothing instead of a point,still play 442 away with only 2 players who can tackle infront of the back 4, still leave our most consistent defender of the past 2 years on the bench and play two incredibly slow/dosy centre halves, still have expensive signings who apparently are being frozen out?
It's a picture of mismanagement and he is out of ideas, his signings have mostly failed, he has no idea of tactics or organisation and he seems better at alienating players than motivating them. If he stays you can only assume the board has some master plan to kill the club and sell the ground.It makes no sense.
TKIZ! likes this post
Pfffft.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Coyle out. Millwall have always been the Wigan of the Championship yet mighty Coyle and his Premiership players were beaten again. did he clame the penalty went in by any chance
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:26 pm

thebish wrote: hmmmm.... but that doesn't really tell the whole story does it - about what kind of "debt" it is... you make it sound as if we are imminent danger of the banks foreclosing and us having to sell the ping-pong table...and - I thought received wisdom is now that Megson was ace?? :conf:
I think you may have just hit on the one thing that would make OC's position 'untenable' :wink:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:44 pm

This is un-scientific but Gartside always seems like a sandwich short of a picnic to me. We have this huge song and dance about having to make the academy pay for itself then we don't bring any into the 1st team. Being in the best league in the world was an excuse... that we can't use any more. We'd rather get loans in than play our own England under-21s. Obviously the manager picks the team but what has Phil been doing the whole time?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:This is un-scientific but Gartside always seems like a sandwich short of a picnic to me. We have this huge song and dance about having to make the academy pay for itself then we don't bring any into the 1st team. Being in the best league in the world was an excuse... that we can't use any more. We'd rather get loans in than play our own England under-21s. Obviously the manager picks the team but what has Phil been doing the whole time?
Then we watch the other clubs with brainy chairman steal all are youngsters after we have not offered them a new contract. Aaron Mooy in particular springs to mind
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:28 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:This is un-scientific but Gartside always seems like a sandwich short of a picnic to me. We have this huge song and dance about having to make the academy pay for itself then we don't bring any into the 1st team. Being in the best league in the world was an excuse... that we can't use any more. We'd rather get loans in than play our own England under-21s. Obviously the manager picks the team but what has Phil been doing the whole time?
Then we watch the other clubs with brainy chairman steal all are youngsters after we have not offered them a new contract. Aaron Mooy in particular springs to mind
Aye Ronnie. Well at least I hope so

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:55 pm

I need to ask some questions because I've supported Bolton longer than most on here and I've rarely been as depressed doing it as right now:

We have "quality players, too good for this league, it's the manager's fault we're not playing well, Davies should be put out to grass..etc etc," and all the other songs of glory regularly sung by the faithful. I'll never blame KD for anything simply because it isn't his fault nobody's stepping up to replace him. He turns out every week, never gets injured, contributes and score. He can't be blamed for being 35 and he's been a true Bolton hero and he'll go soon. So....

Who's going to score under our "new manager?"
Can he make players not miss penalties?
Is it going to be any different with a new manager but the same team?
Would we have lost today under someone else, and why or why not?
How, with the same players are things going to change?
Can he make defenders not slip up and put us under pressure?

See, it all seems to me that the players aren't exactly covering them selves with glory, but all anybody says is "Coyle out, Gartside Out" and up will step a wonder manager who'll put it all right and send us bounding up the league. You can't miss penalties, hard earned at best, in our case rarer than rocking horse shxt, and expect to still win. Niether Coyle or Gartside took one or misssed one.

All that said, yes, something needs to happen drastically, but even with Jose Maurinho, unless the team start to play well We'll soon be relegation candidates in this league. Says a lot when MOTM candidates were Bogdan and Danny Shittu.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I need to ask some questions because I've supported Bolton longer than most on here and I've rarely been as depressed doing it as right now:

We have "quality players, too good for this league, it's the manager's fault we're not playing well, Davies should be put out to grass..etc etc," and all the other songs of glory regularly sung by the faithful. I'll never blame KD for anything simply because it isn't his fault nobody's stepping up to replace him. He turns out every week, never gets injured, contributes and score. He can't be blamed for being 35 and he's been a true Bolton hero and he'll go soon. So....

See, it all seems to me that the players aren't exactly covering them selves with glory, but all anybody says is "Coyle out, Gartside Out" and up will step a wonder manager who'll put it all right and send us bounding up the league. You can't miss penalties, hard earned at best, in our case rarer than rocking horse shxt, and expect to still win. Niether Coyle or Gartside took one or misssed one.

All that said, yes, something needs to happen drastically, but even with Jose Maurinho, unless the team start to play well We'll soon be relegation candidates in this league. Says a lot when MOTM candidates were Bogdan and Danny Shittu.
I was thinking that earlier. We have some awful defenders, an unbalanced squad of midfielders and strikers who cant score. However some one coming in fresh and getting them organised and starting to build some belief may help. They may well need to add to the squad as coyle has signed quite a few who either arent good enough or have lost belief under his management.
Look at what coyle briefly achieved with the players who looked stagnant under megson.It may well be that this squad / season is not going to see us promoted but I cant see the current downward spiral being broken without a change.

dasher
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by dasher » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:04 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I need to ask some questions because I've supported Bolton longer than most on here and I've rarely been as depressed doing it as right now:

Fair to say Ngog isnt going to score under any manager so we need to try to develop Sordell. Not interested in Afobe as developing our players is far more important and not seen anything in him to suggest he is special

Nope Eagles was the right player to take the penalty but he missed it happens to better players than him

Doubt a different manager would pick the same team. Chungy on the bench is baffling as is Petrov on the bench. Not playing 4-5-1 is baffling. Not playing Ricketts maybe alongside Knight is baffling

Might still have lost today under a different manager but we need to be more solid. 3 in central midfield away from home is a must. A non scoring striker like Ngog is a liability

Defensive organisation at Bolton is non existent. A good manager sorting this with same players would improve us vastly

Running to the side of the pitch every so often doing a windmill motion with his arms and clapping furiously doesnt constitute coaching.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Fair post Tango. I think we just need a fresh start and someone to come in and get the players at it again.

Most believe Coyles mates are not upto the job. Players are unfit and not being coached properly. Main area being defensively.

I think Coyle has lost the players. How many times can you tell players they are amazing etc.. before they stop believing. Coyle is Mr positive and not much more IMO so once that no longer works your finished.

A new start is needed under a new boss and coaches. I don't dislike Coyle but I don't think he has enough football knowledge to be a top manager. A new man would at least set us up as a proper unit.

dasher
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by dasher » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Body language from Petrov before he went and after he scored, Sordell when he was called back to bench were both pretty poor. Both looked very unhappy as for Chungy standing near the corner flag the whole 2nd half well that was just ludicrous

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:15 pm

dasher wrote:Body language from Petrov before he went and after he scored, Sordell when he was called back to bench were both pretty poor. Both looked very unhappy as for Chungy standing near the corner flag the whole 2nd half well that was just ludicrous
?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:18 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
dasher wrote:Body language from Petrov before he went and after he scored, Sordell when he was called back to bench were both pretty poor. Both looked very unhappy as for Chungy standing near the corner flag the whole 2nd half well that was just ludicrous
?

Watching a different game presumably. FIFA?

dasher
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by dasher » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Mar wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
?

Watching a different game presumably. FIFA?
they were warming up in front of where I sit

Petrov when called back to the dugout shook his head and walked back when we scored he walked back to the halfway line with his head down and didnt celebrate

Sordell when called back to the dugout looked like he didnt want to go on
Last edited by dasher on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:22 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if a number of the squad had zero confidence in OC, with a resulting knock on morale and mindset. A new boss would give them a kick up the arse to start proving themselves.

New coaching staff might also be useful, to help cut out the regular schoolboy errors that everyone on here has seen for months yet nothing has been done about. Some decent fitness and conditioning work wouldn't go amiss either.

It would also be worth contacting a bunch of names from the lists below (plus others from Europe), to see if they a) are still unattached, and b) interested in a trial:
http://www.soccerfootball.co.uk/2012/05 ... -contract/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk ... Unattached" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;