Now he's gone, who's next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to see replacing Owen Coyle?

Alan Curbishley
12%
Paolo di Canio
7%
Billy Davies
7%
Keith Hill
4%
Roy Keane
1%
Mick McCarthy
9%
Gary Neville
8%
A rising lower-league boss (eg Micky Mellon)
9%
BWFC legend (eg Hierro/Gudni/McGinlay)
8%
Someone from abroad (eg Solskjaer)
27%
Someone from within (LSL/Jiminho/Didsy/Zico)
2%
AN Other
6%

Total votes: 128

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Now he's gone, who's next?

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:17 pm

Palace rely heavily on Zaha. He's a very good player who single handedly drags Palace up. To get an accurate assessment of Freedman, you'd have to take their star man out of the team to see how much they can create without such a good player. We know they can't defend and they rely on Zaha for creativity...is there really much tactical nous there?

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:26 pm

BL3 wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Things I like about freedman are the fact he got an experienced man (lawrence ) in to support him.That suggests one of coyles major flaws isnt present for a start. He has turned a struggling side around, they appear to be motivated and well organised which is primarily down to his management given they were all over the place when he started.
They've conceded as many goals as Peterborough this season... and they're bottom.
That I hadnt noted! :shock:
I'm off to scratch my chin for a while.
9 in the first 3, 5 in the last 2.Perhaps Zaha carries them.....
Is that down to the quality of what he has to work with or how they are organised?
I give up.There isnt really anyone about that you can feel that confident in but there are strong arguements against every suggestion.
Lets face it whoever gets appointed a fair number of us wont be happy!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm struggling to understand the Freedman approach.

Freedman has never managed a club he doesn't know, as far as I can see he doesn't know the town, or the area, he has never managed the quality of players we have, and has never managed at a club with the structure we have, nor the expectations. He also wasn't a great (good yes) player who would instantly command the respect of our better players. He has managed a young side well, but at a club where he was already well respected, a club that was in such a state that there was no pressure on him at all.

From the outside, the Megson appointment made a lot more sense at the time than this one would. Still this might be a case of those who know football etc. (hmmmm). One thing in favour of what appears a monumental gamble is that there is no obvious choice, and it is a very tricky job for whoever comes in, so why not go for it. However, I suspect we all won't be particularly forgiving if we appoint Freedman and it goes wrong.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:31 pm

I suspect he will just end up signing a new contract with Palace, using our interest to get an extended deal.

Not particularly bothered either way.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I suspect he will just end up signing a new contract with Palace, using our interest to get an extended deal.

Certainly what many palace fans are hoping but I doubt we'd have made an approach just to help him get a decent contract at palace.
End of the day whoever comes in we'll just have to get behind and put doubts aside for as long as possible.Trying to find the right man must be a nightmare for Gartside.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I suspect he will just end up signing a new contract with Palace, using our interest to get an extended deal.

Certainly what many palace fans are hoping but I doubt we'd have made an approach just to help him get a decent contract at palace.
End of the day whoever comes in we'll just have to get behind and put doubts aside for as long as possible.Trying to find the right man must be a nightmare for Gartside.
Plenty of rumours around the Palace fans that he has agreed a new contract with them....

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:02 pm

I get the feeling he relies on Zaha the way we found coyle relied on Holden

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Plenty of rumours around the Palace fans that he has agreed a new contract with them....
Well .... at least we've helped get him a pay rise !
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: But if we appointed the unheard of youth team coach from any other championship club as manager there'd be uproar. Bit small time just wanting him
cos he's a Bolton lad.
What about the Academy Director then?
May the bridges I burn light your way

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:06 am

I loved Nixon's "there is a guy who will get you up" tease to Blackburn fans. The genius in question? "Coyley". Yeah, good luck with that.

Just thinking about us...Adkins is probably gonna be the next Premier League manager to get the boot. He's young, talented and has an eye for talent. I'd have him without question.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:41 am

My heart bleeds for him! A man who inflicts Megson on us and tells us he's the best thing since sliced bread, then puts up with Coyle for so long when it was plainly not working and you feel sorry for him? FFS :roll:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:43 am

bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well .... at least we've helped get him a pay rise !
Are we on commission or summat?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:43 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:I loved Nixon's "there is a guy who will get you up" tease to Blackburn fans. The genius in question? "Coyley". Yeah, good luck with that.

Just thinking about us...Adkins is probably gonna be the next Premier League manager to get the boot. He's young, talented and has an eye for talent. I'd have him without question.
Nixon sticks his toothbrush up his back passage to clean his teeth, knows nowt!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:20 am

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.p ... 21&page=46" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread is familiar. They've gone from dismissive "no chance he'll go to bawwwwwwwltaaaaaan" to mild panic, to full on "verge of a meltdown" at the revelation today that Freedman has asked to talk to us.

That thread might keep me going through a long and tedious day of meetings.

Trouble for us is now that if he does decide to stay at Palace, anyone else we may get will know they are second choice. This could get very messy, again......

Barr Hill
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barr Hill » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:48 am

NO no no - not Freedman. What has he achieved? IMO let's give Jimmy Julian and Sammy a crack of the whip for the next 5-6 games.

Apart from a brave comeback it was nice to see a change (for the better) in the pre match warm up and there was no larking about from the players.
It is clear Sammy is very influential and respected as a coach. But let Jimmy be thre front man

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.p ... 21&page=46

This thread is familiar. They've gone from dismissive "no chance he'll go to bawwwwwwwltaaaaaan" to mild panic, to full on "verge of a meltdown" at the revelation today that Freedman has asked to talk to us.

That thread might keep me going through a long and tedious day of meetings.

Trouble for us is now that if he does decide to stay at Palace, anyone else we may get will know they are second choice. This could get very messy, again......
never ceases to amaze how blinkered, delusional & outright stupid football fans can be

r0ckpaperscissors
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by r0ckpaperscissors » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:10 am

Barr Hill wrote:NO no no - not Freedman. What has he achieved? IMO let's give Jimmy Julian and Sammy a crack of the whip for the next 5-6 games.

Apart from a brave comeback it was nice to see a change (for the better) in the pre match warm up and there was no larking about from the players.
It is clear Sammy is very influential and respected as a coach. But let Jimmy be thre front man
This.
contrite contrarian

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:35 am

Who do people want then if not Freedman? I'm happy to have him aslong as Jimmy and Sammy are involved.

There is nobody out there available that jumps out. So why not give Freedman a chance? Unless people want Souness? Times will be like the Megson era under him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:36 am

Barr Hill wrote:NO no no - not Freedman. What has he achieved? IMO let's give Jimmy Julian and Sammy a crack of the whip for the next 5-6 games.

I don't understand this logic. You don't want someone who has actually managed for a couple of years, cos he "hasn't achieved anything"....keeping one of the lowest spenders, and biggest selling clubs in the championship aside I presume.......then go on to say you want to let a guy who has never managed have a chance.......and to judge him over 5 or 6 games?

Just don't get that.

If you said you'd prefer someone with experience then fine.

All the indications are we want a young manager (Freedman) to work WITH JP, SL and JD.

Because presumably as good as those three maybe, they are coaches.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:39 am

Palace allow Bolton and DF to speak
Sto ut Serviam