The Tykes Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Tykes Thread

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Barnsley are eminently do-able. Their away record this season is fairly shite. I predict a stuffing.

Mind you everything could be back to front as The White men (from the Red Rose county) take on them Reds (from the White Rose county)!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:51 pm

A Bolton win here with Butterfield netting against his former Employers.. :grin: :lol:

SpitfiresKent
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by SpitfiresKent » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Easy 3 points for us this weekend i reckon.
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Afobe scored for eng U21 vs Norn Iron on tuesday night... a 76th minute penalty...

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:34 pm

SpitfiresKent wrote:Easy 3 points for us this weekend i reckon.
If you take a look at their results it's not so straight forward. They're not a strong team but the number of 0 1 away defeats they've had suggests they are quite good at shutting up shop but not so good at scoring.I suspect it may be quite attritional and potentially frustrating especially given the general assumption that it should be easy.

same back four
.....Andrews..Spearing
Butterfield/cyl...Mavis..Eagles
NGog

would be my guess a toss up between CYL /Butterfield depending on how they've looked in training I guess.
May need something special to get the opening goal so got to hope one or two of the creative midfielders have a good day.Even then I dont think barnsley would go all owen coyle and change their shape leaving themselves wide open.
1 0 to the whites,eagles freekick

nb re the playing of Petrov on the right you have to assume that Freedman has noticed that our strikers dont seem to attack his crosses but given the wayward nature of his shooting I'm not sure he's any more dangerous on the right. Eitherway in a tight game with a deep sitting team to break down I cant see him starting.
Last edited by Ianmooreslovechild on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:37 pm

thebish wrote:Afobe scored for eng U21 vs Norn Iron on tuesday night... a 76th minute penalty...
I still think we should send him back to Arsenal though. Especially as we seem to keep picking him on the left wing. Everybody keeps talking about Sordell but I wonder what Gregg Wylde must be thinking!

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:44 pm

PC1978 wrote:
thebish wrote:Afobe scored for eng U21 vs Norn Iron on tuesday night... a 76th minute penalty...
I still think we should send him back to Arsenal though. Especially as we seem to keep picking him on the left wing. Everybody keeps talking about Sordell but I wonder what Gregg Wylde must be thinking!
Greg who?Apparently last sighted boarding a ship with sordell.The Marie something or other I think it was called.

Still think eagles needs to get in the space behind the striker but it's hard to accomodate with Mavis playing ahead of the deeper two.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
PC1978 wrote:
Greg who?Apparently last sighted boarding a ship with sordell.The Marie something or other I think it was called.

Still think eagles needs to get in the space behind the striker but it's hard to accomodate with Mavis playing ahead of the deeper two.
And playing some of his best football since being in a white shirt
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:55 pm

PC1978 wrote:

I quite like Eagles cutting in from the left joining up with Mavis to be honest but who to play on the right? CYL doesn't look fit or confident to me.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:03 pm

PC1978 wrote:
PC1978 wrote:

I quite like Eagles cutting in from the left joining up with Mavis to be honest but who to play on the right? CYL doesn't look fit or confident to me.

CYL will only get those by playing
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:09 pm

CYL will only get those by playing[/quote]

I agree but with the way that Dougie sets the team up we need our attacking 3 midfielders to be on their game. And we need points asap to rescue the season!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:32 pm

PC1978 wrote:CYL will only get those by playing
I agree but with the way that Dougie sets the team up we need our attacking 3 midfielders to be on their game. And we need points asap to rescue the season!
The 3 behind the striker can be made up of Petrov, Chungy, Eagles and Mavies. Even Afobe too. I do like Mavies behind Ngog personally. I imagine Eagles to start, Dougie seems to have rotated Petrov and Chungy, with one coming on as a sub for the other so far.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:40 pm

I too think that N'gog is underrated and I like the four attacking mids you suggest but my opinion is that Petrov and Eagles both do their best work from the left. That leaves us with a dilemma on the right until Chungy gets back to better form. Hopefully it won't be far off because there have been glimpses of the old Chungy coming back.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Someone suggested Butterfield likes to play on the right so he may well come in.CYL does need game time tho and given Butterfield is returning from injury too they may well share the work,Likewise eagles and petrov tho I do think petrov is always more effective coming on for the last half hour.Eagles has more guile for when things are tight.

Totally agree with Plymouth white re Mavis.He is in great form and looks the part picking up deep and getting things moving tho he clearly needs the support of ball winning players behind him as that aspect of his game will never be strong.
It does mean eagles has to start out wide to provide width but with time te three ahead of mavis should become adept at switching position and joining play to a degree that allows all to pop up wherever necessary avoiding isolating the front man / stretching the opposition and giving each a chance to probe across the defence. This would be particularly helpful for eagles as occasionally(more often last year TBH) he disappears if he feels he cant beat his marker.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Someone suggested Butterfield likes to play on the right so he may well come in.CYL does need game time tho and given Butterfield is returning from injury too they may well share the work,
well - clock's ticking and we only have him for a month...

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:25 pm

thebish wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Someone suggested Butterfield likes to play on the right so he may well come in.CYL does need game time tho and given Butterfield is returning from injury too they may well share the work,
well - clock's ticking and we only have him for a month...
I'd be very surprised if Butterfield doesnt have some involvement against his old club. Not convinced CYL is up to 90 mins still and I doubt Butterfield is so that may well be why he's come in. Butterfield was certainly going well as an attacking mid before his injury so like chungy it's a matter of how he's recovered. 90% of that has to be in the head. Chungy hasnt lost pace and you dont lose your touch. Big sam would have had a psych supporting him,coyle probably didnt. I hope freedman does make use of that side of things more than coyle did. Allardyce continues to prove that the right sort of support team can make average players good and good players excellent

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:37 pm

Its nice to be thinking of attacking problems again!

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:48 pm

PC1978 wrote:Its nice to be thinking of attacking problems again!
Very true,there appears to be shape consistency and a realisation of what our best back 4 is and the best formation for the players available. It's not perfect yet but it feels like a spine is being built from which the more creative players can work.Freedman has already instilled a sense of direction which has been completely lacking. The annoying thing is freedman has simply done things which have been blatantly obvious for some time but which for some reason coyle couldnt see or chose to ignore. It's not really that complicated a game.It certainly feels much more positive now being a wanderers fan.

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Here here! Especially the part about it being obvious!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:00 pm

We'll get banjo'd three nowt and Dougie's stock will come crashing down to earth under a crescendo of boo's. a thousand 'just in case' "I told you so Dickheads" banners will appear from nowhere and all the vibes from the players will go from "yeah everything's great" to "aye, he's shit.. None of it were my responsibility".

You know what? feck it, I'm not bothering. I'm staying in 'Spoons drinking my £1.90 500ml bottle of Baltika. Pretending I've missed the bus. Which has gone up to £3!!! RETURN!!! THAT'S FECKIN' DOUBLE!

Boooooooooooooooo
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"