Sussex by the sea!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Sussex by the sea!

Post by BL3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:30 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Doesn't leave a lot of room for Petrov
There was room for him last week but he chose to play N'gog on the wing instead.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Worthy4England wrote:We've not really seen a huge amount of Afobe, but in the few games he's played, he's looked a bit lost really. Not sure if any of the people who went can comment on how he played yesterday...

The Petrov problem is thus:

He isn't playing as good as Eagles - so can't get in there
Mark Davies seems to be flavour of the month - so no room there either.
We generally need two more defiensive players in MF in a four - so perm any 2 from Spearing, Ream (seemingly), Andrews, Pratley - although he's flippin headless and if we shift to a 5 man MF, we seem to prefer to drop one of the forwards into a wider MF role.

Doesn't leave a lot of room for Petrov (unless you shunted probably Mavies for me).

I'd be surprised if we saw Holden this side of Feb - but he is back in training.

There were some people trying to convince me that N'gog as a "link man" was a better idea than Klasnic (who only puts the ball in the net). They were wrong.
Shame re Afobe, he started off ok IIRC.

Who will be dropped for Holden when he's back d'ya think?

Any more new signings likely in next transfer window? I bet there will be, new manager usually likes to bring some new players in, which means he may well offload some dead wood too to make way and money too.... Could be an intresting window for Bolton. Can't see Wenger going mad in it (though when does he ever?)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:35 pm

BL3 wrote:
There was room for him last week but he chose to play N'gog on the wing instead.
That's what I said.
if we shift to a 5 man MF, we seem to prefer to drop one of the forwards into a wider MF role

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:We've not really seen a huge amount of Afobe, but in the few games he's played, he's looked a bit lost really. Not sure if any of the people who went can comment on how he played yesterday...

The Petrov problem is thus:

He isn't playing as good as Eagles - so can't get in there
Mark Davies seems to be flavour of the month - so no room there either.
We generally need two more defiensive players in MF in a four - so perm any 2 from Spearing, Ream (seemingly), Andrews, Pratley - although he's flippin headless and if we shift to a 5 man MF, we seem to prefer to drop one of the forwards into a wider MF role.

Doesn't leave a lot of room for Petrov (unless you shunted probably Mavies for me).

I'd be surprised if we saw Holden this side of Feb - but he is back in training.

There were some people trying to convince me that N'gog as a "link man" was a better idea than Klasnic (who only puts the ball in the net). They were wrong.
Shame re Afobe, he started off ok IIRC.

Who will be dropped for Holden when he's back d'ya think?

Any more new signings likely in next transfer window? I bet there will be, new manager usually likes to bring some new players in, which means he may well offload some dead wood too to make way and money too.... Could be an intresting window for Bolton. Can't see Wenger going mad in it (though when does he ever?)
Afobe showed good skillz in one of the pre-season games, he's not shown much in the League games yet.

If Holden comes back anything like he was (and there's plenty of doubts about that - CYL doesn't appear to have come back in anything like the same sort of shape), then he walks in the team ahead of Spearing, Andrews, Ream etc. who have been playing in a more defensive role.

I think Coyle's philosophy was to try and get 2 players for each position, unfortunately they tended to be 2 decidedly average Championship players. Allardyce tended to go for the best player we could afford for each position, and then some fairly ropey back up in a few positions.

Freedman appears to already have signalled his intent to cut the 40 man squad (I think was his words) unload deadwood and the uncommitted, and bring in fewer, better players.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:48 pm

BL3 wrote:
Funny how quick you are to point that out again and again, and yet how quick you are to scuttle off whenever anyone asks THAT question.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Who will be dropped for Holden when he's back d'ya think?
Bogdan.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote: I think Coyle's philosophy was to try and get 2 players for each position, unfortunately they tended to be 2 decidedly average Championship players. Allardyce tended to go for the best player we could afford for each position, and then some fairly ropey back up in a few positions.

Freedman appears to already have signalled his intent to cut the 40 man squad (I think was his words) unload deadwood and the uncommitted, and bring in fewer, better players.
Well given Allardyce had far more success then Coyle i'd say Freedmans pan isn't a bad one, though obviously if you're unlucky with injuries Holden style then you'd be stuffed. Bit more risky i suppose, but perhaps you have to take some risks to get back to the PL. Exciting times ahead then! :D

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Afobe showed good skillz in one of the pre-season games, he's not shown much in the League games yet.
I reckon he comes on here and reads some of the shit that's posted!

The lad's probably scared of his shadow. :|

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Enoch wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Afobe showed good skillz in one of the pre-season games, he's not shown much in the League games yet.
I reckon he comes on here and reads some of the shit that's posted!

The lad's probably scared of his shadow. :|
Or shite.

a). Fearful
b). Shite

Maybe we should do a survey ? Where's Dan when you 'need' him ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:59 pm

BL3 wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:Could it not be that today's team selection was, in part, influenced by the fact that we have a game mid-week against our local rivals?
That doesn't explain Petrov's absence. He didn't play last week either. How much 'rest' does he need?
So I will ask yet again, and no doubt you'll dodge it.

If this squad is so good, why did Coyle, a manager you defended to the hilt, leave if so low in the league when he was sacked?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:27 pm

Had a great weekend in Brighton, 3 season ticket holders and partners. Inside info from a nephew Brighton fan got us pointed to good pubs and food. Hotel very good. Brighton pier breezy but fun. Brighton Pavilion glorious testament to the taste of excess of Regency Britain.

the women enjoyed spa stuff.

The men - had to watch the most inept display from Bolton Wanderers in quite a long time.

We didn't believe the line up when announced.

We don't believe it still.

Bogdan magnificent. Knight very good and essential.

Ream, Mears and Afobe had three different phases to their game. First, a disaster about to happen, then a disaster happening and finally - for two of them - a disaster substituted.

It was the luckiest piece of daylight robbery since Gary Speed got us a penalty winner away at Man City when they hit the woodwork six times.

And a tremendous moment of unearned and undeserved joy when Ngog's slightly mishit shot finally went in - off the post, i think.

Freedman's selection was incomprehensible. His subs each improved the team. since he made those subs, and we got a point, he gets credit. Since he made the selection he gets fingers crossed that in the future he keeps away from the hallucinogenics on Friday nights.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:34 pm

He scores when he wants.
He scores when he waaaaannntssssss.
David N'Gog
He scores when he wants. :) Hahahaha

They can take our land. But they'll never take our Freedman
Pfffft.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:58 pm

William the White wrote:The men - had to watch the most inept display from Bolton Wanderers in quite a long time
It was dreadful, but it wasn't even the worst since September

A great away day
Sto ut Serviam

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:35 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
William the White wrote:The men - had to watch the most inept display from Bolton Wanderers in quite a long time

A great away day
What was the trouble with the not rights behind you at the back of the stand?

It was a good day. We were terrible, but there's no better feeling than stealing something undeserved with the last kick.

Far too much room for them to drive at us in the 20 yards in front of our area. What on earth was Ream doing there when Spearing was available (answer: not very much)? Why Afobe doing nothing when Petrov was available? Yet again Eagles looking the only one looking like creating much and again SKD having a very positive impact when he came on.

Good to see Pru, Will and 50sQuiff, complete with charming blonde American girlfriend.

Good set up they have at Brighton too. Nice new stadium. Guest ale for every visiting team is a nice touch - Wainwright's for us this week.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:20 am

How long do you we keep claiming 'progress for' when we still struggle to keep clean sheets, despite defending deeper than San Marino would against Brazil and then struggling to get out if our own half..

We're woefully boring.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:29 am

I'm going to state my opinions just to avoid being accused of jumping on any bandwagons or the like.

1. Coyle (as a manager) was a prat.
2. The (current) squad isn't half as good as some people think. In fact some of its members are borderline League One status.
3. I was surprised to see Freedman appointed, and not overly happy about it.
4. After just five games the initial, tentative, preliminary, provisional, unconfirmed-as-yet feeling I have is that Dougie Freedman is Owen Coyle and I claim my £5

I hope to fxck I'm wrong about point 4. Truly. But I'm getting more nervous, not less, with each passing match.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:06 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote: 2. The (current) squad isn't half as good as some people think. In fact some of its members are borderline League One status.
That's actually a good thing though, cos between them Owen and Douglas have made the club borderline League One status too.
Businesswoman of the year.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Nice to meet you Prufrock and good to see you again Mummy. It was a miserable day and the game was appalling but that equaliser - and attendant wild celebrations - were sufficient that my missus wants to come to the next game!

But just in case she got the wrong impression from Pru and Mummy that Bolton fans are civilized chaps, a good number outdid themselves by chanting homophobic abuse all game, then kicking off with the stewards.

That team selection was as bad as we ever saw from Coyle, but I remain hopeful that Dougie isn't so delusional that he can't see his own mistakes. For the first time this season I realised just how weak an 11 we are capable of fielding. That team will never be promotion material. On the plus side our players must be building some confidence and shedding the losing mentality by... not losing.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:04 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

A great away day
It was a good day. We were terrible, but there's no better feeling than stealing something undeserved with the last kick.
There speaks the lawyer... :wink:

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:07 pm

:lol:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.