Blackpool ... Donkeys or Towering ?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Blackpool ... Donkeys or Towering ?

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:29 pm

So - should we be packing the MF for this one - or is that crazy talk when we're at home to a team below us and not in amazing form?

I'd be such an unpopular manager, because I can't see past a 4-5-1 for this one (with Eagles and Lee joining the attack where possible, so not completely negative!).

So, I'd be starting:

Bogdan
Ricketts Ream Knight Alonso
Medo
Eagles Pratley Vela Lee
C. Davies

I know, I know. Ream. But he's fully fit, and even put in a few decent performances towards the end of his last stint. Anyway, it's my team, not yours, so shut it!

I'd be sorely tempted to lose Vela, have Medo and Pratley in the middle, and pair C. Davies and Sordell up top, but i just think it's sensible to protect what will be a new back four. Surely there's enough creativity in Davies, Eagles and Lee to find something? Plus Pratley's due one, for me. In fact, I'm putting a quid on it now.

Prediction? 2-1 Bolton. And a painful last 20 minutes. Cardiac units on standby.

(Side note: I'm 30 this weekend and Saturday night I'm at the pub celebrating. :pissed: If we somehow mess this up, I will return to this post and replace "celebrating" with "comiserating" :( . Come on you whites. Please!)
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:45 pm

His fitness matters not one jot. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the starting XI for such an important fixture. That fat lad with the double barrel name and double barrel chest will terrorise the poor little lamb.

He's shit, a shithouse and goes hiding. He'll cost us big time.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:55 pm

boltonboris wrote:His fitness matters not one jot. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the starting XI for such an important fixture. That fat lad with the double barrel name and double barrel chest will terrorise the poor little lamb.

I said shut it!

I agree, he's a weak link. But I have more faith in him than you.

This is not saying much.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:02 pm

I think Ream is absolute wank and as said, soft as shite (well documented). My worry is though that a back four that consists of Ricketts, Knight, Wheater and Alonso is as slow and ponderous as it gets. Dawson was the glue in terms of organisation and reading of the game that held them together.

Blackpool have pace in 3 of their attacking four, Ince, Matt Phillips and Delfouneso. It does worry me putting a potentially ring-rusy Wheater in with 3 defenders who have hardly covered themselves in glory.

So I guess I can see an argument for Ream given that Blackpool don't have that much physicaltity (though Taylor Fletcher is clever in those areas and Delfouneso is a big lump at times).

Equally I shudder to think of Ream starting in a must win game, anywhere, anyhow.

It's a bit sophie's choice really.

Stick Wheater in and hope he's a) fit enough and b) sharp enough to cover for his lack of pace against a quick attack or stick Ream in and hope he doesn't play anything like Tim Ream.

I wouldn't want to make the call. Frankly the thought of Ince or Phillips against Alonso/Ricketts scares the shit out of me. And for me that is where the match will be won and lost. How we deal with their wide men.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:06 pm

I don't think there's too much difference between a fully fit wheater and dawson, the question is how close to full fitness he is.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:10 pm

boltonboris wrote:His fitness matters not one jot. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the starting XI for such an important fixture. That fat lad with the double barrel name and double barrel chest will terrorise the poor little lamb.

I agree.

When was the last time Ream even got on the pitch as a sub? Wheater will start 100% unless injured. Dougie has been throwing him on not even match fit ahead of Ream so I will show my arse to the lions in Bolton centre if Dougie picks Ream over a fit Wheater.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Beefheart wrote:I don't think there's too much difference between a fully fit wheater and dawson, the question is how close to full fitness he is.

Madness. Amazing how a long injury lay-off causes a player's stock to rise beyond all reason. Bar a few decent games before his injury, Wheater (whom, by the way, I like) was routinely slated on here for being slow and clumsy and having the turning-circle of a battleship.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Sponge wrote:
Beefheart wrote:I don't think there's too much difference between a fully fit wheater and dawson, the question is how close to full fitness he is.

Madness. Amazing how a long injury lay-off causes a player's stock to rise beyond all reason. Bar a few decent games before his injury, Wheater (whom, by the way, I like) was routinely slated on here for being slow and clumsy and having the turning-circle of a battleship.
Well I don't tend to place much stock in the opinions of people on here!

Are people of the opinion that Dawson is quick? I wouldn't state that as one his strengths personally. I've been impressed by Wheater when I've seen him, and that was in the prem. Good on the ball, gets stuck in and dominant in the air and vastly superior to Knight in my opinion.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:23 pm

ChrisC wrote:When was the last time Ream even got on the pitch as a sub? Wheater will start 100% unless injured. Dougie has been throwing him on not even match fit ahead of Ream so I will show my arse to the lions in Bolton centre if Dougie picks Ream over a fit Wheater.
Ream last appeared (as a starter) in the game at Watford, when we went three points from the drop zone. Read into that what you will, but I wouldn't read as much as you into Dougie bringing on Wheater as a defence against late aerial bombardment: Ream would be the wrong choice in that circumstance. Freedman only did it twice.

At home to Cardiff, Ream replaced Chungy on 79 minutes, and we held on to the 2-1 lead. But then at Huddersfield in December, Ream replaced the injured Matt Mills with five minutes to go; Town promptly equalised after Ream let his man go and almost scored a winner with the fingers again pointing at the American. The TW match thread post-mortem is interesting reading...

Barr Hill
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barr Hill » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Changing the subject slightly - are we expecting a big attendance on Saturday?

A mate of mine and his lad wanted to get seats near me in North Lower - all sold out. There are some left in top tier.

Will Blackpool bring many? they haven't got much to play for

chester white
Promising
Promising

Post by chester white » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
ChrisC wrote:When was the last time Ream even got on the pitch as a sub? Wheater will start 100% unless injured. Dougie has been throwing him on not even match fit ahead of Ream so I will show my arse to the lions in Bolton centre if Dougie picks Ream over a fit Wheater.
Ream last appeared (as a starter) in the game at Watford, when we went three points from the drop zone. Read into that what you will, but I wouldn't read as much as you into Dougie bringing on Wheater as a defence against late aerial bombardment: Ream would be the wrong choice in that circumstance. Freedman only did it twice.

At home to Cardiff, Ream replaced Chungy on 79 minutes, and we held on to the 2-1 lead. But then at Huddersfield in December, Ream replaced the injured Matt Mills with five minutes to go; Town promptly equalised after Ream let his man go and almost scored a winner with the fingers again pointing at the American. The TW match thread post-mortem is interesting reading...
I see BL3 was still lurking about back then. Funny how quiet they've gone!
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Barr Hill wrote:Changing the subject slightly - are we expecting a big attendance on Saturday?

A mate of mine and his lad wanted to get seats near me in North Lower - all sold out. There are some left in top tier.

Pool are bringing 4000

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Blackpool wingers Tom Ince and Matt Phillips are providing Bolton boss Dougie Freedman with much food for thought ahead of this weekend's crucial final-day encounter at the Reebok Stadium.

Wanderers will almost certainly secure a play-off spot if they manage to extend their winning run on home turf to nine matches, but Freedman expects Paul Ince's men to have the shackles off after ensuring their Championship status with a last-gasp win over Derby last time out.

"Preparations are well under way for this weekend's game and we will give the players ideas how to beat Blackpool," he told Bolton's official website.

"Blackpool's two wide players are the ones to be wary of. They also play with a carefree attitude and they are now safe.

"We will have to be careful because Blackpool will have an attitude where they have nothing to lose and we will make sure we put our blocks in and attack at the right time.

"The fans are gaining confidence in the team. They are coming together as one and hopefully there will be a great atmosphere this weekend at the Reebok Stadium."

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Barr Hill wrote:Changing the subject slightly - are we expecting a big attendance on Saturday?

Struggling to get 2 together anywhere in lower. Can get 4 in NSU, but don't want to be in upper....

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed May 01, 2013 1:31 am

Leaning to Ream over Wheater to replace Dawson, not because he is a better player, because he is not, but because of his pace (playing with Knight) and being fitter than Wheater.

Also, I fear a playing the majority of the game with 10 men due to a red card to Wheater for mistiming a tackle because his timing is off due to the layoff, and beaten for pace. I remember that he has had a few of those for us in the past.

For me its looking like more of a gamble playing Wheater over Ream. Tough call.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 01, 2013 2:43 am

Ah.. This mythical pace. Maybe we'll see it some day.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:30 am

Is Matt Mills fit? For me, he was improving and getting quicker as he got match practice. However after this long layoff he's probably going to be as slow as Wheater (the thought of how slow Wheater might be after his lay off is frightening). Both Mills and Wheater are physically stronger than Ream (so's my 2 year old grandson) but Ream does (or did have the last time I saw him) have more pace. Blackpool don't have bullying size forwards so, with much reservation, I'd go for Ream with Knight.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Wed May 01, 2013 10:50 am

I'd just like to say I'm nervous.

Nervous about getting to the game on time with the train from Glasgow only going as far as Oxenhome and then a bus to Preston.

Nervous about changing at Preston both ways with lunatic Blackpool fans.

Nervous about the game.
Nervous about us scoring an early goal.
Nervous about them getting a last gasp equaliser.
Nervous about getting home in time for friends coming round for drniks.
Nervous.

Who said supporting Bolton Wanderers was fun?
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 am

Bruno3 wrote:Is Matt Mills fit? For me, he was improving and getting quicker as he got match practice. However after this long layoff he's probably going to be as slow as Wheater (the thought of how slow Wheater might be after his lay off is frightening). Both Mills and Wheater are physically stronger than Ream (so's my 2 year old grandson) but Ream does (or did have the last time I saw him) have more pace. Blackpool don't have bullying size forwards so, with much reservation, I'd go for Ream with Knight.
I seem to recall Knight & Ream having a period of decent partnership while Cahill wasn't around for a while.

Then again, I recall all sorts of things.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 01, 2013 11:18 am

Bruno3 wrote:Is Matt Mills fit? For me, he was improving and getting quicker as he got match practice. However after this long layoff he's probably going to be as slow as Wheater (the thought of how slow Wheater might be after his lay off is frightening). Both Mills and Wheater are physically stronger than Ream (so's my 2 year old grandson) but Ream does (or did have the last time I saw him) have more pace. Blackpool don't have bullying size forwards so, with much reservation, I'd go for Ream with Knight.
For me, it's not JUST a case of Ream getting bullied by some bigger boy.. He's constantly 5 yards to deep or too high leaving holes in the back four. So anyone with pace can expose him and he's not quick enough to recover (despite what we keep hearing). His distribution is supposed to be his USP, but he's shite at that, too.

If he is as quick as I've heard (because I've seen him countless times and never once have I though "he can shift") it still doesn't matter if a striker get's a 5 yard head start 20 yards from goal. He could be Usain Bolt and he isn't getting back.