Blackpool ... Donkeys or Towering ?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

gizmothevoomer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Blackpool ... Donkeys or Towering ?

Post by gizmothevoomer » Sat May 04, 2013 6:36 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Image

... & I was soooooo prepared.
I never said we would make it back in Febuary, I said anyone down to 20h could mount challenge if they went on a run. Personally I think for the long term benefit of the club another season rebuilding in order to be a promotion challenger from game 1 next season is not a bad thing.

I have seen enough in Dougie to have faith we will be challenging and I think anything else He, The Fans and The Board will consider failure. We have been on a good run and looked a capable team relying to heavily on the likes of Spearing, Ngog and Eagles to much to get us to today, His priority has to be a Striker ( Rhodes from Blackburn would be my first choice if budget allowed ) and 2 commanding centre backs. Eaves will make an inmpact next season as I hope will Holden and Mavies. Injuries probably cost us 6th spot Mavies, Spearing and Ngog.

But what do I know?
Last edited by gizmothevoomer on Sat May 04, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:36 pm

I'm much more positive about our prospects for next season, as look at the improvement made with largely the same players we were decrying as a shower of shite (some of them still are of course) back in the Coyle days now that we've got Dougie.

We definitely need to make signings to improve the team, one definite one for me should be trying to keep hold of Spearing, which'll be hard but he's been very much a fan favourite here and won't have that many chances back at Liverpool (unfortunately, as he's a very good player). Maybe some Premier League clubs will be sniffing but if we can sell the club to him as a permanent home I'd snap him up.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 04, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm not putting this up for debate as I know the sentiments of a lot on here. It's purely personal, but I'm really sorry and dissapointed that K.D is no longer a Bolton player. I'd have tried very hard to find a way to keep him. Real end of an era. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him playing against us next season, but, there you go. Had to say it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat May 04, 2013 6:57 pm

Spoke on the phone to a mate and from what he says I've missed a fantastic afternoon at the Reebok. Pleased for all of you that were there, even if the result wasn't quite right. To think it all came down to goal difference, if only we could have turned one of those 1-0 wins into a 17-0!

I think that's the first time I can remember experiencing the excitement of a relegation battle and a promotion push in the same season. It's been a crazy last six months, here's to an even more entertaining next twelve.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Sat May 04, 2013 6:59 pm

I felt gutted at full time, but looking back on the whole season I feel proud.

We were going nowhere, we were going where wolves were going, how dougie took us to these dizzy heights I do not know but we gave it a real good go. He's done fantastic stuff for us this season, I am looking forward to seeing him take on the club for a full season and I'm looking forward to another season in this division (not that i'd have taken it over promotion, but it's been the most exciting season for me since big sam was knocking about).

Wasn't at the game, wish I had been but couldn't make it, but I hope people there werent fickle and the lap of honour was well applauded because the turnaround has been fantastic, and theres no reason it has to stop.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat May 04, 2013 7:12 pm

Blackpool manager Paul Ince:

"We should have been four or five up to be fair. I thought some of the football we played was fantastic."

Was he there today? They had 5 shots at goal, just 2 on target. :conf:

I've got mixed emotions today. Absolutely gutted, yet somewhat relieved and definitely optimistic. Relieved in that I don't believe we were ready for the Premiership. There's too much work yet to be done before we'll be ready. I'm confident that Dougie will build on the positives from this season and give us a much better chance of promotion next year. Hopefully we'll get off to a better start and continue to build on it throughout the season. He's now got some time to do what he needs to do and show us what he's capable of.
Hope is what keeps us going.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat May 04, 2013 7:17 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I'm not putting this up for debate as I know the sentiments of a lot on here. It's purely personal, but I'm really sorry and dissapointed that K.D is no longer a Bolton player. I'd have tried very hard to find a way to keep him. Real end of an era. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him playing against us next season, but, there you go. Had to say it.
I can't agree with the bit about trying to keep him; I reckon he should've moved on 12 months ago. But other than that, I'm right with you.
Really sad to see the end of a Bolton great.

I reckon if Sheffield Utd come up he's there.
Businesswoman of the year.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat May 04, 2013 7:19 pm

If he'd had been dropped earlier we wouldn't be in this mess.

Freedman out.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Sat May 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Totally gutted, but it was in our own hands and we didnt get the result we needed.
Six months ago I had written this season off and would never have thought that it would be in our own hands the last game of the season.
That said it still feels like a total kick in the balls.
Going to get p1$$ed, and look forward to next season. :drink:
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

Cid's Left Foot
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Cid's Left Foot » Sat May 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi there. First post, long time lurker and avid fan of Radio Tango's matchday reports.

I was lucky enough to be there and thought I'd share some of my thoughts in a vaguely chronological order. Here goes.

The crowd were loud, atmosphere best in ages. They handed out weird clapper things and announcer tried to get the fans going while the players waited in the tunnel. But while it it all felt great it might have even unsettled the players a bit. They looked rushed and frantic for the first while and I feel the excitability from the fans might well have exacerbated it.

Initially perplexed to see Hall's name on the lineup and his performance did nothing to clear that up. At fault for Blackpool nearly scoring barely five minutes in. Seemed allergic to defending and Ricketts suffered for it. Grateful to see Dougie so proactive in taking him off when it was clearly not working.

Alonso was our best defender today. Felt really sorry for him for the second goal. Lee decided not to track back, Ream did not provide cover and so left him to deal with 2 players and was just generally frustrating watching.

I found it oddly difficult to stand at half time.

Second half we dominated. Everyone was settled and up for it. I even saw Tim Ream head the ball. And not just once, accidentally because he tripped or something but regularly and on purpose. Medo produced a couple of fantastic passes to set us going. C Davies was tireless. Eaves looks like a tank.

The final whistle was surreal, a kind of weird silence in which people still seemed to be processing what was going on. I certainly was.

A lot of people left before the lap of honour but a fair number stayed. A good round of applause, in particular for SKD. Saw Sordell hand boots and a shirt to one of the disable fans at the front. Generally good feeling despite not quite making it. Optimistic about next season.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat May 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:If he'd had been dropped earlier we wouldn't be in this mess.

Freedman out, Smokin' in!
:)

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat May 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Cid's Left Foot wrote:Hi there. First post, long time lurker and avid fan of Radio Tango's matchday reports.

I was lucky enough to be there and thought I'd share some of my thoughts in a vaguely chronological order. Here goes.

The crowd were loud, atmosphere best in ages. They handed out weird clapper things and announcer tried to get the fans going while the players waited in the tunnel. But while it it all felt great it might have even unsettled the players a bit. They looked rushed and frantic for the first while and I feel the excitability from the fans might well have exacerbated it.

Initially perplexed to see Hall's name on the lineup and his performance did nothing to clear that up. At fault for Blackpool nearly scoring barely five minutes in. Seemed allergic to defending and Ricketts suffered for it. Grateful to see Dougie so proactive in taking him off when it was clearly not working.

Alonso was our best defender today. Felt really sorry for him for the second goal. Lee decided not to track back, Ream did not provide cover and so left him to deal with 2 players and was just generally frustrating watching.

I found it oddly difficult to stand at half time.

Second half we dominated. Everyone was settled and up for it. I even saw Tim Ream head the ball. And not just once, accidentally because he tripped or something but regularly and on purpose. Medo produced a couple of fantastic passes to set us going. C Davies was tireless. Eaves looks like a tank.

The final whistle was surreal, a kind of weird silence in which people still seemed to be processing what was going on. I certainly was.

A lot of people left before the lap of honour but a fair number stayed. A good round of applause, in particular for SKD. Saw Sordell hand boots and a shirt to one of the disable fans at the front. Generally good feeling despite not quite making it. Optimistic about next season.
Agreed. It was quite weird. I had no idea what was happening in the games elsewhere (I meant to to take a radio but forgot it :wall:) , so was awaiting the rest of the Reebok to hopefully stand up and start cheering, but it didn't happen. I don't think that anyone realised the final whilstle had been blown. I've never known a game end like that, effectively with complete silence, whilst everyone digested what was going on.
Hope is what keeps us going.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sat May 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Echo the feelings at the final whistle. I was in West Lower right next to the away end, and Krazy Korner were bouncing about while the Blackpool fans were quiet....job done, so thought I until the Blackpool fans started going mad when, as it turns out, Leicester got the winner. I hadn't even considered the scenario of us drawing and Leicester winning, so it says a lot about Blackpool's obsession with us that they had it figured out. Don't know about anyone else, but it was a right pain in the backside trying to get a mobile signal at all during the game, never mind check the other scores.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat May 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:Echo the feelings at the final whistle. I was in West Lower right next to the away end, and Krazy Korner were bouncing about while the Blackpool fans were quiet....job done, so thought I until the Blackpool fans started going mad when, as it turns out, Leicester got the winner. I hadn't even considered the scenario of us drawing and Leicester winning, so it says a lot about Blackpool's obsession with us that they had it figured out. Don't know about anyone else, but it was a right pain in the backside trying to get a mobile signal at all during the game, never mind check the other scores.
Always seems to be a dead zone for me.....

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat May 04, 2013 8:19 pm

My ten pennorth for what its worth:

Bogdan: 7 Nothing he could do for either goal and a fantastic save to keep us in it in the second half

Ricketts: 7 Best game for us for a while I felt. He always looks better when he can operate more as a wing back and get forward

Alonso: 8 Solid apart from one stupid challenge which cost him a yellow. Story of his season really.

Ream: 7 Did very little wrong, found a white shirt every time and both defended and sitributed well. Pre match concerns unfounded.

Knight: 8 Immense today for me and led the back line well

Eagles: 7 Tired quickly in the second half but great finish and a constant threat for 65 minutes

Medo: 7 Great first half, worked tirelessly throughout although he sometimes failed to find the right pass

CYL: 6 Played well and with confidence but failed to track back on occasion

Hall: Touched the ball twice in 35 minutes, a great free kick and a decent shot but otherwise completely anonymous

Davies: 6 Look down the line lad!! Too many offsides and 4 weak shots, one of which took a very lucky deflection for our second

Pratley: 7 Worked hard throughout and really drove the team forward in the second half

Sordell: 6 Will he ever make it here? Awful first touch but learning to work hard for the team

Eaves: 7 SKD mark ii, closed down well, held the ball up well and looked dangerous. They didn't like it up 'em

MummywhycantIeatcrayons: 4 Turning up could have cost us 64 million quid, but wow, great shoes :D

Overall I'm happy with the result which for me is better than another loss at Wembley and I hate Premiership football. I'm already excited about next season and let's be honest, we could be Wolves.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Mitch
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Mitch » Sat May 04, 2013 8:22 pm

I have to agree with the 'getting the crowd going' thing - I don't think we needed it and it felt a bit rushed, almost an after thought- and the end was surreal, I didn't hear the final whistle go.

I thought at half time we would make it, and I wanted us to win - so much - I could never bring myself to wish for anything less. A few seasons ago I would have been gutted at the result today, but I am strangely 'not bothered'. Apart from a somewhat dodgy first half I have really enjoyed this season.

My son pointed out that I've only allowed myself to be wound up by a couple of managers poncing and bawling on the touchline (or even just being there ha!), hell, they all wound me up in the prem :evil: . With a few notable exceptions I've felt the same way about about opposition players, I've seen very little of the diving, whinging, gobby, ridiculous play-acting evidenced every week, at every game I watched last season. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed the niggles and competitive edge to games (and despaired at some of the rubbish served up too) because I have.

The least said about some of the officiating the better!

I'm really looking forward to Dougie's team building over the summer, we'll be better prepared with the benefit of a good pre-season. When Wigan go down, we'll have plenty of local derbies again too.

Come on you Whites :pissed:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat May 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Been drinking all afternoon so sorry if this makes less sense than usual;

Was so proud of the fans, players, club today. I'd have killed to be in this position in January, so for our destiny to be in our own hands on the last day was something else. Of course, we're Bolton, so it was bound to end in glorious failure.

Lots to be optimistic about next year - A bold manager who's not afraid to make changes when it matters, Medo, Eagles & Eaves who could all play a major part and a pre season in which Dougie can hopefully shed the team of Coyles imagination and build his own vision.

Today we needed our experienced players to stand up & be counted - Ricketts, Sordell & Lee were all found wanting imo. Ream, for all our doubts, was fine today. Medo wasn't up to his high standards - Pratley was as good as I've seen him.

Great effort. Not quite good enough - Onwards & hopeful for next season :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

AbrahM
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by AbrahM » Sat May 04, 2013 9:10 pm

People were saying before the final whistle went that Forest had made it 3 all, so I and many around me were ready to celebrate, and looking round it seemed nobody knew what the score was. I'm just glad the players actually came out for the lap of honour this year ;)
I definitely enjoyed this season more than last and being in this league is more exciting than being a mid table prem team who never do anything like Fulham.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat May 04, 2013 9:18 pm

The run-in has been exciting and exhilarating. The celebrations when we scored our goals were wild and crazy and I loved it. There was a lot of confusion at the end when people thought Forest had scored a third but it all added to the nature of football and all that comes with watching it. We were confused, bewildered, hopeful and apprehensive. Its such a shame we can't have the excitement of the playoffs.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sat May 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Today we needed our experienced players to stand up & be counted - Ricketts, Sordell & Lee were all found wanting imo. Ream, for all our doubts, was fine today. Medo wasn't up to his high standards - Pratley was as good as I've seen him.
I actually thought Ricketts had a very sound game. Bit harsh to list Sordell as an 'experienced' player btw! Pratley wasn't up to usual standards today for me, but if anything that just underlines the quality of his performances this season.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight