Coyle vs Megson

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Coyle vs Megson

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:13 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
jaffka wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
jaffka wrote:Only the club management know why, the same ones who you support with Eason chucking the euro cup.

They sacked megson as they knew we would be doing a wolves, we would probably be div 3 and looking at non league if he was still here. Thank Christ they pulled the trigger before he did ruin us.
Only one of the two actually took us into the realms of the position of Wolves currently and it certainly wasn't Megson.

The rest us all idle speculation and opinion.
The board recognised the need to get rid or face irreversible damage, that's why they sacked megson.

As for the speculation I trust that you will have learnt a lesson and now refrain from hyperbole and spouting as much shite like you do as fact :wink:
Did they? And how do you know that? Cos Gartside himself said that Megson was on a points target that failing to beat Hull meant he missed which is why he went.

Actually very similar to Coyle in terms of the reasoning laid out, only a division higher.
They can say what they want but Megson went after Eddie D & Gartside saw the reaction to the McCann for Klasnic substitution at that Hull game .... & the fact that the fans clearly knew better than Megson did what the outcome was going to be.

I watched the pair of them in the Director's box at that moment & he was gone there & then.

Coyle ..... even right to the very end Garty was trying to manipulate a solution which kept him. God knows why. But he was out of his depth from the daay Holden got injured. However, he did bring us Holden, Wilshire and Sturridge, even if he brought some shite as well.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:05 pm

If Megson wasn't going to take us down, then Coyle may have taken us up.

Can't have it both ways. I'm looking at you Pru.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:06 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:If Megson wasn't going to take us down, then Coyle may have taken us up.

Indeed

But I'll tell you which I find more likely and it wouldn't have involved us getting promoted this season

What I watched at Burnley, Hull and then at Millwall would have been laughable if it wasn't so sad

An absolute shambles...with a squad he thought was good enough to keep us in the Prem

Freedman has turned the ship around and - at best - even he will only just sneak into the play offs
Sto ut Serviam

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:If Megson wasn't going to take us down, then Coyle may have taken us up.

I'd say you're right. Except the logic would be more like, if Megson was going to take us down when he was sacked, then so was Coyle this season. Especially since when he left, there was a real danger that we would go down, again.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Prufrock wrote: Nah, I think Coyle was even worse than Megson, but very, very few of my reasons for that come from before and including Wembley.
hmmmm...
Prufrock wrote: That's what makes it ludicrous. There are parts of Megson's reign that stand up to scrutiny in terms of him doing his job. Trying, however, to compare him favourably to Coyle is a lose lose lose lose situation.
:wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:The rest us all idle speculation and opinion.
You should have that as an autosig, m'man... :P

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
jaffka wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
jaffka wrote:Only the club management know why, the same ones who you support with Eason chucking the euro cup.

They sacked megson as they knew we would be doing a wolves, we would probably be div 3 and looking at non league if he was still here. Thank Christ they pulled the trigger before he did ruin us.
Only one of the two actually took us into the realms of the position of Wolves currently and it certainly wasn't Megson.

The rest us all idle speculation and opinion.
The board recognised the need to get rid or face irreversible damage, that's why they sacked megson.

As for the speculation I trust that you will have learnt a lesson and now refrain from hyperbole and spouting as much shite like you do as fact :wink:
Did they? And how do you know that? Cos Gartside himself said that Megson was on a points target that failing to beat Hull meant he missed which is why he went.

Actually very similar to Coyle in terms of the reasoning laid out, only a division higher.
What was said public in order to let him keep face and what was going on in private we're totally different.

Megson was taking us down a one way path that we would never recover from.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:41 pm

So can you perhaps tell us what was said in private and explain how you know this?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:05 pm

Look up Stockholm Syndrome fella.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:06 pm

I fact I've done it for you...
Stockholm syndrome, or capture–bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:08 pm

It gets better!
One commonly used hypothesis to explain the effect of Stockholm syndrome is based on Freudian theory. It suggests that the bonding is the individual’s response to trauma in becoming a victim. Identifying with the aggressor is one way that the ego defends itself. When a victim believes the same values as the aggressor, they no longer become a threat.
Love it.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:19 pm

:lol:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:05 pm

jaffka wrote::lol:
Make sure that tongue doesn't get stuck, won't you
Sto ut Serviam

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:09 pm

Its ok Caps, at least you fall into the 33% of the population that can actually spot a sociopath but doesn't care about it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:10 pm

I didn't say he wasn't. I said I thought he (probably wouldn't). I think it would have been close, but we had 18 points from 18 games. 31 would have kept you up that year. I think we'd have done it. Doesn't mean I wasn't glad to see him go. If he'd even remotely maintained the ppg we'd have been fine. Supposition and what not, but I never claimed otherwise.

Of course Coyle might have taken us up, however, continuing at his ppg would have us on 50 points right now, and relegated. Both of those above outcomes *might* have happened. I'm pretty confident one was a lot more likely. We've improved beyond recognition since Coyle left, and yet it's still touch and go. Neither are 'facts', or anything more than opinion, but I'm fairly confident in saying Megson had more chance of keeping us in the Premiership that year than Coyle did of getting us back into the premiership this year. The premiership he got us relegated from. The highs of Wolves, Spurs, Newcastle and Brum were amazing, but the lows were far worse than anything under Megson, IMO. Hull away this year was so very bad.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:14 pm

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote: Nah, I think Coyle was even worse than Megson, but very, very few of my reasons for that come from before and including Wembley.
hmmmm...
Prufrock wrote: That's what makes it ludicrous. There are parts of Megson's reign that stand up to scrutiny in terms of him doing his job. Trying, however, to compare him favourably to Coyle is a lose lose lose lose situation.
thebish wrote:
1. ANYTHING WE SAID 6 MONTHS AGO IS INADMISSIBLE IN AN ARGUMENT. IN FACT, ALL COMMENTS BECOME NULL AND VOID AFTER 7 DAYS.
;) Two can play that game.

Worse than a bloody woman you!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:35 am

Megson was in charge at Munich, Coyle at Wembley, no feckin' contest!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:
hmmmm...
thebish wrote:
1. ANYTHING WE SAID 6 MONTHS AGO IS INADMISSIBLE IN AN ARGUMENT. IN FACT, ALL COMMENTS BECOME NULL AND VOID AFTER 7 DAYS.

:D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:
hmmmm...
thebish wrote:

No....... women never quit!

hi there, i'm craig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by hi there, i'm craig » Sun May 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Coyle had his flaws but despite everything.....

He is still a legend!