Wigan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: Wigan

Post by William the White » Thu May 16, 2013 12:32 am

LeverEnd wrote:8 against-the-odds years in the prem end with an FA Cup win, a European campaign and a crack at promotion (perhaps via Wembley again) the following year. Not too bad really.
Finishing 15th-17th gets very old tiresome when you've been in the Prem more than a couple of years.
I worked in Wigan for two years until Jan 2013 round the corner of the DW and several Wigan fan colleagues were actually looking forward to going down last year before the Great Escape because they wanted to win more games they lost for their money.
I think they'll struggle next season, but the fans will remember the FA Cup win and Euro games for the rest of their lives.
Yep - as we would... I only know one Wigan fan as a friend... he's still high as a kite about the Cup... So, even more problematically, I suspect, will Portsmouth fans...

I'd swap Wigan's season for ours...

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:52 am

the cup can feck off, we always get jipped.

or relegated coz of it.

and i'd rather know that i can still watch them in 2-5 years time than (say) bagpuss face [or coyle] improving his CV while sending them to the poorhouse.

"remember when that club that used to exist won the cup once ?"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu May 16, 2013 8:52 am

It all depends on the longevity of the fall from grace I guess. I'd take Wigan' s season over ours .... or ours last year .... but I would dread witnessing what Portsmouth have gone through. As a fan that would be the worst.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 16, 2013 10:17 am

I think - and hope - you can't compare Pies to Pompey. Self-serving w*nker that he is, Whelan wouldn't* walk away and leave them in masses of unsustainable debt, or try to leverage them beyond all acceptable risk parameters for his own personal gain. I mean, he'll rename the ground after himself, but he's not THAT kind of w*nker.

As I say, it's not beyond possibility that Wigan will go down again, but more in a drifting-away fashion than Pompey's high-profile fiscal f*cktastrophe.

*Would he?

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Thu May 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I think - and hope - you can't compare Pies to Pompey. Self-serving w*nker that he is, Whelan wouldn't* walk away and leave them in masses of unsustainable debt, or try to leverage them beyond all acceptable risk parameters for his own personal gain. I mean, he'll rename the ground after himself, but he's not THAT kind of w*nker.

As I say, it's not beyond possibility that Wigan will go down again, but more in a drifting-away fashion than Pompey's high-profile fiscal f*cktastrophe.

*Would he?
He will if he dies....

I'm jealous - I'd take relegation to the conference to win that cup again - just a shame we're a bunch of bottlebank w*nkers who'll never win anything of note ever again.
Troll and proud of it.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu May 16, 2013 1:42 pm

as wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I think - and hope - you can't compare Pies to Pompey. Self-serving w*nker that he is, Whelan wouldn't* walk away and leave them in masses of unsustainable debt, or try to leverage them beyond all acceptable risk parameters for his own personal gain. I mean, he'll rename the ground after himself, but he's not THAT kind of w*nker.

*Would he?
He will if he dies....

I'm jealous - I'd take relegation to the conference to win that cup again - just a shame we're a bunch of bottlebank w*nkers who'll never win anything of note ever again.
:shock:

Hmmmmm no!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 16, 2013 2:15 pm

as wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I think - and hope - you can't compare Pies to Pompey. Self-serving w*nker that he is, Whelan wouldn't* walk away and leave them in masses of unsustainable debt {...} *Would he?
He will if he dies....
You would hope that such folks leave things in trust.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Thu May 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
as wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I think - and hope - you can't compare Pies to Pompey. Self-serving w*nker that he is, Whelan wouldn't* walk away and leave them in masses of unsustainable debt {...} *Would he?
He will if he dies....
You would hope that such folks leave things in trust.
Aye - and then they can sell up to Venky's :wink:

Plymouth - I'd sooner we won a trophy than owt else, we'll never challenge the billionaire's in the PL, so a cup win and lower league football would do me.
Troll and proud of it.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Thu May 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Been speaking to my Latics supporting mates (after much revenge ridicule about them being relegated), they are worried for next season, as they put it: They've a team of mainly foreign players who wont want to play in the championship. The british players who may be willing to stay are their better players/most promising youngsters who will be snapped up by prem teams (macarthy and Macmanaman). The others arent that good anyway (caldwell, Stam etc). they also said that Martinez will go to a prem club but they reckon he'll be sacked as he's not had any pressure from Whelan and theyre not sure he could handle it at a "Bigger" club. Also that Whelan wont pay "big" wages and that they wont be able to attract decent players to help them get promoted as even though theyre in Europe they're also in the championship.
Personally I can see them doing a Wolves.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 16, 2013 7:58 pm

It wasn't winning the FA Cup or being relegated that did for Portsmouth, it was rank financial stupidity. I'd love to see us win a Cup.
Obviously going up next season would be great, but the Premier League is not the be-all and end-all for me. In fact for a fan of a smaller club it's massively overrated. Imagine if we just average in the top div all the time? Staying up that first season was great, as was getting into Europe and playing some great clubs. However some of my highlights of being a fan are promotions, and you don't get them if you survive in the bottom half every season at the expense of having a cup run - Megson style.

chester white
Promising
Promising

Post by chester white » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:26 am

I don't know if this should be shifted in to other footy now, but thought it deserved a bump.

Game against them in the not too distant future, and the vultures appear to be circling for Mr Coyle, having had a look at some of their forums.
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:00 pm

We are 15th in the championship, 3 points behind Wigan.

We have our own Coyle in a suit to worry about.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:We are 15th in the championship, 3 points behind Wigan.

DF is a tactical Genius when compared with Coyle. The race is not for the swift but who will endure. Lets look at their relative positions at the end of the season. Time will tell.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:39 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:We are 15th in the championship, 3 points behind Wigan.

DF is a tactical Genius when compared with Coyle. The race is not for the swift but who will endure. Lets look at their relative positions at the end of the season. Time will tell.
Good harvest this year? :wink:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:48 pm

This bollocks about 'We'd rather stay in the Prem than win the cup' really annoys me.

Mind you it annoys me when you go to a cafe and they ask 'Do you want beans or tomatoes?' Like it's a choice, why can't I have both?

My mate's a pie eater and he went to the semi and the final and had a great time, those two games gave him more enjoyment than the whole of the Premier League experience of WAFC rolled into one.

Yes it's great to see the best players but when they're all wearing different colour kits to yours it does become a bit of a chore.

I blame the telly and radio for this. Constantly sucking up to the big boys they make it seem like it's the be all and end all of football fans to play against yer manchuniteds of this world, yer Chelseas of this world and your Arsenals of this world.

It makes the smaller clubs write off games before the seasons even started as they concentrate on finishing fourth bottom.

It's like being allowed into a star studded Hollywood party and then sitting in the corner under a pile of coats just incase you get discovered and kicked out.

No, it's not 'like' that it's EXACTLY that.

I say good for Wigan. They won the cup and that's on the record books for all time.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:10 pm

Spot on, couldn't agree more.

PS That party thing happens to me all the time, it's not very nice. Especially in Horwich.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:23 pm

I'm probably the archetypal fan that the Bovril drinking "back in my day" types detest, but I'd much rather be in the Premier League than the Championship. It makes a big difference to me. I like being a supporter of a big club and when you're in the Premier League, that's what you are, even if it's a team near the bottom of the league. As soon as a Premier League club drops a level, they become irrelevant overnight and the only thing worth hoping for is promotion.

Supporting a Premier League team is exciting. You have the constant media attention, you see great players on a weekly basis, your club is in a position to attract genuine quality, the atmosphere is better...everything is improved. Bolton are Bolton and I'd support the club whichever league we're in but the Championship cannot compare for me. It's a depressing, dull league with a remarkable lack of talent within it.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Nah. Watching Bolton play well, score, win etc is exciting whatever division we're playing in. I don't need the razzamatazz or the tv cameras to make it any better.

<Picks Bovril back up and shakes head>
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:17 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Nah. Watching Bolton play well, score, win etc is exciting whatever division we're playing in. I don't need the razzamatazz or the tv cameras to make it any better.

Harry: "Back in the good old days when I was a lad we didn't have no telly anyway, we had the wireless..."

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Nah. Watching Bolton play well, score, win etc is exciting whatever division we're playing in. I don't need the razzamatazz or the tv cameras to make it any better.

Harry: "Back in the good old days when I was a lad we didn't have no telly anyway, we had the wireless..."
There were 2 games on Match of the day on Saturday and that was it. None of this highlights or goals from other matches nonsense. If you were lucky you were on regional telly on Sunday. Again, 2 matches and perhaps goals from one more if you were lucky.

If you wanted live coverage - yes, you put the bloody wireless on. The drama when you heard the jingles "It's a goal" and you prayed it was for us, or when you heard "Oh no" and you prayed it was for Utd.

Were we any worse off? Nah :mrgreen:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"