Pre Season Friendlies

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tals-biggest-fan
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Pre Season Friendlies

Post by Tals-biggest-fan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:25 am

if iiles is right with his prediction of the nationality of this trailist my best guess is that its Araz Abdullayev, signed for Everton 2011 and was labelled a wonder kid, never made it for them went back home to Neftchi Baku and according to wiki on 28 March 2013, it was reported that Abdullayev struck and killed a road cleaner, and critically injured a second, with his car in the Azerbaijani capital Baku.
NEIL LENNON'S SUPERWHITE ARMY

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:11 am

ChrisC wrote:Dougie..
"These games are all about players getting minutes under their belts. It's a fitness exercise, one in which I'm able to assess where players are at."
S'what Coyle said. Rightly or wrongly, he got slammed for it.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:23 am

boltonboris wrote:
"These games are all about players getting minutes under their belts. It's a fitness exercise, one in which I'm able to assess where players are at."
Wrongly obviously, because what else can they say really? Coyle's problem was that his bad pre-season came on the back of 18 months of decline so was bound to be judged harshly.
Difference is whether they learn something from these games and start strongly as a result. Having said that Dougie lost his first two games last season before going on that great run, so I'll not be judging til a few league games in.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:37 am

First three
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:41 am

Mears was absolutely awful last night, passing to no-one and kicking the ball straight out of play.

Have a picture from last night



LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:57 am

boltonboris wrote:First three
Very true. So even less to worry about.

As for Mears, can't expect much after a long time out. He improved a fair bit before he got ill, but he's never going to look great. I think he'll leave at some point in the season, seems to be a player who needs to be playing regularly and I don't think he will. Same with Mills, I bet he's only playing him to give McDermott a nudge in the hope of getting shut.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 am

LeverEnd wrote: Then you will not suffer the indignity, as I did, of being blocked by the legend that is Nixon.
I can tell you're not bitter about that. I can. :lol:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:55 am

LeverEnd wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:So ... who was the "Trialist" named on the bench ?
Marc Iles ‏@MarcIles 5m
Trialist apparently from Azerbaijan... but have no name to hand. Wouldn't worry too much...

Clear as mud.
Azerbaijan? Azer-bleedin-baijan? Have we got a scouting network in deepest darkest Central Asia now? or did some lad just rock up off the plane, hand in his asylum application, and then hot foot it to the Reebok with the plea "giz a game"
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:12 am

LeverEnd wrote:

As for Mears, can't expect much after a long time out. He improved a fair bit before he got ill, but he's never going to look great. I think he'll leave at some point in the season, seems to be a player who needs to be playing regularly and I don't think he will. Same with Mills, I bet he's only playing him to give McDermott a nudge in the hope of getting shut.
Can we afford to sell Mills right now given our lack of options at centre back?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:00 am

LeverEnd wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Wrongly obviously, because what else can they say really? Coyle's problem was that his bad pre-season came on the back of 18 months of decline so was bound to be judged harshly.
Difference is whether they learn something from these games and start strongly as a result. Having said that Dougie lost his first two games last season before going on that great run, so I'll not be judging til a few league games in.
To be fair to him he does recognise that the performance wasn't up to much. True, fitness and shape matter, but

Dougie Freedman told their Official Site that although he thought his side could have done a little better it was more about them getting minutes on the pitch.
' ... I thought in the game we could have done a little bit better performance wise - on both our defensive work and our attacking movement upfront. There`s certainly a lot there for us to get our teeth in to and we probably just need to get our heads in the right place and get in the zone a little more when these games continue to come around.`
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:17 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

Can we afford to sell Mills right now given our lack of options at centre back?
Sooner the better really I think, then we can try to get someone in. And if not then Baptiste can play there and we've got plenty of RBs to cover him. I just think Mills isn't Dougie's cup of tea so there's no point holding onto him. I also think he's not very good.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:25 am

Anyhow, results and performances pre-season are utterly irrelevant. They were last year, the year before etc and they are this year.

The point is that if you use these games for fitness (or if you don't) what you want is players fit and ready for the start of the season. If you achieve that then great, who cares what went before.

The issue with Coyle was that we didn't have players fit and ready even weeks into the season.

End of the day the only thing that bothers me is where we finish in May. Come then nobody will give a shit either way about the pre-season.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:27 am

People worried about winning these pre season games only have to look at Tottenham drawing with Swindon last night after being in front. Does that mean they will have a poor season? Manure lost their first game of pre season the other day. It doesn't mean feck all!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 am

Nothing to take from this other than what the kit looks like. Apart from Bogdan that looks like a 2nd XI anyway
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cocopopper
Hopeful
Hopeful
Location: Sheffield. "We're all Wednesday aren't we?" "No, no we're not".

Post by Cocopopper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Agree with the comments about Bolger - Certainly seemed to misjudge the path of the ball on a couple of occasions. Did improve a bit. Lots of short passing out from the back by Bogdan.

(At least 2) hospital balls to Bogdan aside, I thought Mills did pretty well - Certainly the better at handling the aerial threat that Rotherham kept posing.

Wilkinson wasn't the type of player I was expecting - very lightweight and comfortably beaten in 50-50s. Did look hungry though. Lester showed some skillz, but not a right lot of end product.

Main rays of light for me were the industry and nous of Hall, and the significant improvement in passing and control of the game after the addition of Eagles, Tierney, Baptiste et al.

P.s. I know Freedman said Baptiste's been signed as a right back, but at the expense of putting Riley in at CB? I guess if you're going to try that anywhere, you do it here, but still...

P.p.s. Long time listener, first (ok, second) time caller...
Jason McAteer gives it his all.
When he does, people are watching.
And when people are watching, one thing he won't tolerate is dandruff.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Skelmersdale tonight for the bwfc xi - guessing it'll be kids but hey ho, coywm etc

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:38 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:Anyone going to Chorley on Friday?
ae:)

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:43 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:
Yeah I'm thinking about it


Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:43 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:
Sorry. Nope.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
89bwfc89 wrote:
Sorry. Nope.
But look on it as another opportunity to enlighten the rest of us on events you have a unique perspective upon (like your view on the Reebok lawn from your window) as opposed to undergoing a solitary experience devoid of friends, family, and acquaintances.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください