(QP)R We Gonna Pick Up Our First Win Of The Season?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: (QP)R We Gonna Pick Up Our First Win Of The Season?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:57 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:We seem to be going through one of 'those' spells where nothing goes right.

is it just that - or has the manager contributed in any way? when you're down to the vague "nothing goes right" excuse - you can see the bottom of the barrel, surely??
Read through the whole of that post. And my one from earlier in the same thread, rather than just quoting a small bit out of context then decide if you really needed to ask that question.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:03 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Perhaps people saying Lee is playing 'ok' could tell me what he is actually contributing? He played behind the front two today and from what I saw had two great chances to slip Beckford through on goal and wasted both of them by keeping hold of the ball.
What you claim he did took about twenty seconds. He played for ninety minutes, quite a fair chunk of it defending, and, for what it's worth, Beckford being offside is the reason he didn't put him through. If you can't see his worth, then I sure can't tell you.
So lee gets credit for 'defending' when he is in there as a creator.

Surely then NGog gets credit for being our only striker who can seemingly hold the ball?

I'm not buying Lee being excused for his defensive work. Took a right bollocking off Spearing first half for not tracking his man properly.

He's there to create goals and even score them. Especially in today's system. He did neither. And frankly rarely looked like doing so. Holds onto the ball far too long.

Hall looked far more threatening when he came on.
You're worrying me now mate. Try and find a video of the game somewhere because you sure got a wrong view of it today. N'gog, as a top striker has done the sum total of nothing in the goals department, just as he did today. Did he have a shot on goal? As for Lee, I have to think you're biased, he was three times the player N'gog was.
Name me one chance Lee created?

He's the creative player in that side.

Name me one time he beat his man?

My point is NGog gets stick for not scoring (he got 8 last season, more than any of our other strikers and more than Lee, worth pointing out) and I will agree he didn't have his best game today. But he gets stick not cos he's not skilful on the ball but because his end product isn't great.

Fair enough.

But why is Lee then let off for even less end product over a season and a bit?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: Name me one time he beat his man?
My point is NGog gets stick for not scoring (he got 8 last season, more than any of our other strikers and more than Lee, worth pointing out) and I will agree he didn't have his best game today. But he gets stick not cos he's not skilful on the ball but because his end product isn't great.Fair enough.

But why is Lee then let off for even less end product over a season and a bit?
Most likely because he spent a lot of it injured? Lee isn't a striker, N'gog is. Not even sure how you can compare them. As for "Name me one time he beat his man?", are you kidding me?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:20 am

Wandering Willy wrote:We're 19th in the league

It's Coyle's fault.
I blame it all on Coyle signings like Jay Spearing.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:02 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:We seem to be going through one of 'those' spells where nothing goes right.

is it just that - or has the manager contributed in any way? when you're down to the vague "nothing goes right" excuse - you can see the bottom of the barrel, surely??
Read through the whole of that post. And my one from earlier in the same thread, rather than just quoting a small bit out of context then decide if you really needed to ask that question.

yeah - I did - still not seeing any blame for the manager from you... which is fine - you can blame who you like - but I think there might be more to it than one of those days where nothing goes right for us...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:30 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

yeah - I did - still not seeing any blame for the manager from you... which is fine - you can blame who you like - but I think there might be more to it than one of those days where nothing goes right for us...
Did you not read this then?
bwfc_insane wrote:One of Dougies poorest selections here. Certainly a bad day for him.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:38 am

Hmmm, but "a bad day", I'm sure you'll agree, is a fairly rational, reasoned response, not quite in the mould of calling someone, say for instance, "a cancer", wouldn't you agree?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:48 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Hmmm, but "a bad day", I'm sure you'll agree, is a fairly rational, reasoned response, not quite in the mould of calling someone, say for instance, "a cancer", wouldn't you agree?
Tell you what, if or when he takes a side who have been in the premiership, relegates them by making the exact same mistake week in and week out. Then continues making the same mistakes week in week out in the championship I might get a bit more annoyed.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:55 am

So you'd call him a cancer too?

mrpiccollo
Promising
Promising

Post by mrpiccollo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:33 am

We played well lots of promise and some really good football just not enough balls played behind the opposition defence in my oppinion.

hall was the only player all match to pass the ball into the box from a central area FACT its no wonder people think hes great so far if hes our only chance of getting the ball in the damned box.

my oppinion on mpayer ratings yesterday

bogdan / 6 no real faults as a keeper cant do much about square balls

baptiste / 6 good work getting forward for support and tight defending

wheater / 7 form returning looked solid for the most part

Knight / 7 solid performance from the captain surprisingly got a few accurate headers

tierney / 7 worked hard and put in plenty of balls sadly most were not near forwards so were pointless

ream / 8 cdm is clearly the best spot for him in our team yesterday he wasin my oppinion our best performer

medo / 6 effort but no end product (cut out some key plays but not much else)

spearing / 7 tireless effort and positioning really surprised by how many headers he won

CYL / 4 lost on the pitch it seems / 2 years ago i was raving about how good i though he was sadly now im hoping hes on the bench - a very poor performance - no forward passes - didnt beat a man - didnt successfully hold the ball up.

ngog / 6 effort was never lacking but cutting edge was (cant do much without good service)

beckford / 5 seemed lazy and missed our best chance by a long shot should have been coming off the bench to make an impact

-------------------------------------

Subs

-------------------------------------

C Davies / 5 not enough time to impact the match fully and could have done more with a half chance (for me should have started)

hall /6 needed more time on the pitch wants to score pass and impress (i was fairly impressed)

moritz / 6 seemed like he should have been on in place of CYL from the start, while imo he was not 100% fit he seemed to have more about him going forward and i feel he could be what we needed yesterday

all in all i thought we played well but clearly cant score/create chances

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:43 am

I can't comment on the game as I decided to go and watch a team with bottle and a winning mentality in Wigan Warriors instead yesterday, I couldn't even give my season ticket away for free! But anyway I see a lot of comments about Lee's performance and I have to agree. I've been to the other three league games this season and for me what I've seen is someone that's pretty pointless at the moment. He's never had pace, but he's always had a bit of trickery that allows him to create a chance out of something. Instead all I see is someone that needs to take more than five touches of the ball every time he has it, and for some reason feels the need to do a 360 degree spin with the ball every time he's on it. Just run the feck forward!

He doesn't have time in this division to fanny about with his spins and take 10 touches each time he's given the ball as teams in this division don't cater for that. I hate to say it but I don't think he's right for us, I'm sure he'd still do well at a Premier League team in some way but we need someone a bit more direct than he is. Matty Phillips would have been perfect, I've no idea what he went for to QPR but if he was available we should definitely have sold Lee and brought him in.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:48 am

we looked like a Megson side but with worse players.. and that can be taken as either a defence of DF or a criticism. every player looked nervous in possession unless they were attempting the blindingly simple. no risk taking, flair or will to get at the opposition.

absolutely dreadful.
i cant believe two players who many wanted shot of last season because either he didnt show the necessary commitment (Eagles) or the necessary abilities (Pratley) have become the excuse for the defeat due to their absence from the side
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Four games gone and no goals from any of our strikers.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Part of me thinks when Freedman gets some of the Coyle dross out and fully gets his own team on the pitch we'll be fine.
It's 'Coyle dross' like Eagles, Pratley, Spearing, N'gog... who are providing the only semblance of hope at the moment.
Last edited by BL3 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:27 pm

BL3 wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Part of me thinks when Freedman gets some of the Coyle dross out and fully gets his own team on the pitch we'll be fine.
It's 'Coyle dross' like Eagles, Prately, Spearing, N'gog... which is providing the only semblance of hope at the moment.
Eagles & Spearing certainly.

Too early to decide on Dougies buys yet although that wont stop some from writing them off. It's the ones I listed in my original post (that of course you've chosen to ignore) that are still costing us in wages and wasted transfer funds and are limiting the type of players DF would like to bring in.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
BL3 wrote:
It's 'Coyle dross' like Eagles, Pratley, Spearing, N'gog... who are providing the only semblance of hope at the moment.
Pratley's scored the only two league goals we've managed this season...

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Jugs wrote:Four games gone and no goals from any of our strikers.

We haven't kept a clean sheet in the league since Wolves in april (9 games in total) either.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:43 pm

BL3 wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Pratley's scored the only two league goals we've managed this season...
You're right in what you say, but don't you think you're a bit pathetic only turning up when things are bad? Where were you when we had Craig Dawson at the back and doing well?

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:07 pm

I don't like all this 'Freedman/Coyle' nonsense. We have the team we have, it doesn't matter who brought them in. It seems to be like too many fans are looking to criticise Freedman signings because Freedman signed them, or they pinned our issues on players Coyle brought in. We have a good squad for this league and both Coyle and Freedman contributed to building that squad. We're in a privileged position to have the group we have and it's up to the manager to get the most out of them. Coyle brought in quite a few good players and so has Freedman. Neither of them have done perfectly when signing players but no manager ever will, especially when working with budgets.

I think a lot of our fans should get over Coyle too. He was our manager, he made some mistakes but he's gone. Whatever state he left us in is irrelevant now. He's not our manager any more and our focus should go on our current manager and how he can improve things for us, rather than moaning about the past.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:37 am

The defence-first formation played reasonably well. What upsets me is that we stuck with it – for half the time remaining after the goal – because we simply weren't offering enough going forward.

Here's a little empathetic trick I often try. For the purposes of balance, I try to imagine I'm a fan of the opposite team and suss how worried I'd be when Bolton are coming forward, or how confident I'd be of breaking down Bolton's defence. If you do that properly, and not just to confirm your own beliefs (positive or negative), you can get a much better grip on how the game is going. And by that rationale, the first half went well for Bolton, because our defence looked organised - but more importantly because Beckford made Dunne look twice as vulnerable to pace as Ings did to Wheater at Burnley. His snatched finish was poor but every fan in the away end must have panicked when they saw the difference in pace.

So did we utilise that? Did we try to get Becks one on one with the old man again? No. At one point I was screaming at Chungy to slip Beckford through, only to watch him bumble down a cul-de-sac and lose the ball. Beckford is beginning to look worryingly short of confidence (as does the manager, team, fans and club), but he's also beginning to look lost alone up front because he's not getting the service.

I like Chungy – he's willing, has a good touch and has contributed to some fine team moves – but he has nowhere near enough widescreen vision to be our only creative outlet (bar the semi-mythical trequartista Ngog). Eagles can't come back quick enough - but I also insist that Freedman should have changed the system earlier. Post-match quarterbacking can never be proven wrong but I said on here during the game that I'd have brought Moritz on for Wheater within five minutes of going behind.

I fear that a part of Dougie didn't want to do that because he feared a 0-3 on his own patch. His first two subs were virtually like-for-like - the pleasingly busy Cravies for Beckford, then Moritz for Ngog - so the sad truth is that for 72 minutes we played 7 essentially defensive outfielders. (Medo and Spearing try, with the former threatening a goal and the latter trying to drive us on, but they're just not creative players.) QPR didn't look like scoring two, but we didn't look much like scoring one - because we didn't have enough people on the pitch capable of making it happen.

I'm intrigued by what shape and players he'll pick at Tranmere, a team in awful form. Given a choice, he'd probably take a 1-0 win now, but this club needs a shot in the arm.
plymouth wanderer wrote:Also agree on chungy was more like his old self today just missing that bit of cofidence

Would love to see the stats for how many time he got himself on the ball (DSB)
Sorry mate, I don't have access to Champo stats. Mind you, they must exist somewhere on the web because Opta now cover Champo to same depth as Premier League, etc. Might be worth a look around the internet... not that I feel up for that at the moment, having worked most of the weekend on the corner of it I'm responsible for...