By Hove!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: By Hove!

Post by Jugs » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:50 pm

Is anybody still willing to defend Ngog? Awful, awful striker.

This is a dire situation. We're shipping too many goals and our strikers can't score. And even in this situation, one of our other strikers is on loan at Charlton and another is at Rotheram. The problem with having more options with Dougie in charge is that he'll be tempted to change things even more than he does now.

Even so, I'm miffed as to how Tom Eaves 'isn't ready', our 3.5 million striker is away and yet Ngog and Beckford are drawing blanks.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Jugs wrote:Is anybody still willing to defend Ngog? Awful, awful striker.

This is a dire situation. We're shipping too many goals and our strikers can't score. And even in this situation, one of our other strikers is on loan at Charlton and another is at Rotheram. The problem with having more options with Dougie in charge is that he'll be tempted to change things even more than he does now.

Even so, I'm miffed as to how Tom Eaves 'isn't ready', our 3.5 million striker is away and yet Ngog and Beckford are drawing blanks.
Ngog can feck right off. I defended him for a while based on flashes of potential. He'll never live up to it at our club, Get rid ASAP. Agree totally on Eaves. Why'she gone backwards if he was good for a game at the end of last season?
Sadly think Dougie has lost the plot and won't find it again.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sponge wrote:I fear this is more than a mere bad streak, and bigger than a few players or a manager. Something's rotten in our club and it runs deep. The coming seasons ain't gonna be pretty. We could be shaking buckets in a few years.
Sadly I've had this feeling for a while.
:conf: you said it was just one player we needed - at the most 2 - the last pieces in the jigsaw!!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:45 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Jugs wrote:Is anybody still willing to defend Ngog? Awful, awful striker.

Ngog can feck right off. I defended him for a while based on flashes of potential. He'll never live up to it at our club, Get rid ASAP. Agree totally on Eaves. Why'she gone backwards if he was good for a game at the end of last season?
And what a game too! It was to decide our season.

Dougie also says that Hall isn't yet ready.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Jugs wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Ngog can feck right off. I defended him for a while based on flashes of potential. He'll never live up to it at our club, Get rid ASAP. Agree totally on Eaves. Why'she gone backwards if he was good for a game at the end of last season?

These are important points.

DF saw fit to play Eaves and Hall in the make-or-break Blackpool match last year .... yet now, 6 months on, a pre-season and plenty of time to grow them further, they aren't ready and, indeed, one's been sent out on his umpteenth loan.

The guy doesn't know his own mind. He's flailing around trying to fit facts to his instincts. Maybe this is why he can't get the players working for him.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:05 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Jugs wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Ngog can feck right off. I defended him for a while based on flashes of potential. He'll never live up to it at our club, Get rid ASAP. Agree totally on Eaves. Why'she gone backwards if he was good for a game at the end of last season?

DF saw fit to play Eaves and Hall in the make-or-break Blackpool match last year .... yet now, 6 months on, a pre-season and plenty of time to grow them further, they aren't ready and, indeed, one's been sent out on his umpteenth loan.

The guy doesn't know his own mind. He's flailing around trying to fit facts to his instincts. Maybe this is why he can't get the players working for him.
The fact that Hall started that game was unbelievable and, as you say, months later he supposedly isn't actually ready anyway, be it for Brighton away or a play-off decider.

For the first time since he arrived, I'm losing a little faith. I know he hasn't had much money to spend but this week he suggested there are no loans available that would improve our squad. Yet Birmingham took on Lingard from United and he scored four on his debut today. Macheda, another striker, made his first start for Doncaster on loan from United and scored twice. We're crying out for goals, does Dougie really think no one (on loan) is capable of improving our strikeforce?

UpTheM61
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by UpTheM61 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:21 pm

The run continues. One nil up and you fecked it up.....

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Be careful what you wish for, Tony Pulis is out of work.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:46 pm

a1 wrote:kevin davies is probably on't phone to em all still , shitstirring "he's a bell, he sacked me on my burfday"
And I thought I was unfair still blaming Coyle!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Jugs wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Jugs wrote:

The fact that Hall started that game was unbelievable and, as you say, months later he supposedly isn't actually ready anyway, be it for Brighton away or a play-off decider.

For the first time since he arrived, I'm losing a little faith. I know he hasn't had much money to spend but this week he suggested there are no loans available that would improve our squad. Yet Birmingham took on Lingard from United and he scored four on his debut today. Macheda, another striker, made his first start for Doncaster on loan from United and scored twice. We're crying out for goals, does Dougie really think no one (on loan) is capable of improving our strikeforce?
Me too.
Hope is what keeps us going.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:22 pm

Just got in from work. What have I missed?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:33 pm

jimbo wrote:Just got in from work. What have I missed?
Dunno, but I'm staying up for Manish's show in a bid to try and find out. :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:44 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
jimbo wrote:Just got in from work. What have I missed?
Dunno, but I'm staying up for Manish's show in a bid to try and find out. :(
Good idea! You enjoy your chicken and cod and I'll enjoy my post work pizza and beer and we can watch it. Really hope we won and Zat Knight scored! He's well my fav

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:51 pm

With the previous managers it always seemed you could see the problems a mile away. Towards the end of Coyle's reign especially you could almost predict the scoreline once the starting eleven had come through.

I liked today's starting eleven. I liked the balance of the team and the alleged performance at half time. We just seem...weak. Three goals in however minutes speaks volumes of how frail we are at the moment, mentally more than anything.

I'm not going to say that getting rid of Freedman is the answer, but I also share many of the concerns that he may not be the one to turn this mess around. I place the blame 80/20 onto the players/coaches but in these sort of situations it's always the manager that bites the bullet. Worrying times indeed.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:52 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sponge wrote:I fear this is more than a mere bad streak, and bigger than a few players or a manager. Something's rotten in our club and it runs deep. The coming seasons ain't gonna be pretty. We could be shaking buckets in a few years.
Sadly I've had this feeling for a while.
:conf: you said it was just one player we needed - at the most 2 - the last pieces in the jigsaw!!
Shame for the madman atm... He persistently called DF 'a proper manager' and even - in a moment of insanity that lived up to his nick - said he had more in his locker than Big Sam... Sam did break some records - our first European competitions, our first stay of longer than two years at the top in 50 years... But he never managed our worst start to a season in any division since 1902... So DF had much more in the locker there...

There's a lot about DF I like - the emphasis on youth, for instance... But that is always a long term strategy... A good one, but long term...

We have a crisis now... It needs handling now... I'm not with the 'sack DF' bunch - half of em wanted to sack Sam and some are serial offenders - they want to sack every manager since him - unbelievably failing to see the futility of that 'strategy'...

What to do? Start at the back... At the moment we have to score 3 to win a game... There is the most damaging stat, and the weakest part of the team... That has to be the priority... Our scoring record is hardly brilliant - but if we need 3 to win we are going down...

(The idea that Zat was the problem is now exposed - he was only part of the problem, an equal part with the rest...)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:12 pm

William the White wrote: What to do? Start at the back... At the moment we have to score 3 to win a game... There is the most damaging stat, and the weakest part of the team... That has to be the priority... Our scoring record is hardly brilliant - but if we need 3 to win we are going down...

(The idea that Zat was the problem is now exposed - he was only part of the problem, an equal part with the rest...)

indeed - which is why i suggested hiring a proper defensive coach to help dougie out... it was said that coyle was too proud to accept help.. we have been told dougie might be different... time to prove it, I say...

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:33 pm

thebish wrote:
William the White wrote: What to do? Start at the back... At the moment we have to score 3 to win a game... There is the most damaging stat, and the weakest part of the team... That has to be the priority... Our scoring record is hardly brilliant - but if we need 3 to win we are going down...

indeed - which is why i suggested hiring a proper defensive coach to help dougie out... it was said that coyle was too proud to accept help.. we have been told dougie might be different... time to prove it, I say...
I think coaching might help... but marginally - these players aren't kids, the habits they have now run very deep.

I suspect we should be ploughing thru every loan option available to try to improve the personnel... The full backs we brought in have certainly not strengthened us defensively, but possibly we can live with that, but the centre backs are shudderingly scary...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:38 pm

William the White wrote:
thebish wrote:

I think coaching might help... but marginally - these players aren't kids, the habits they have now run very deep.

I suspect we should be ploughing thru every loan option available to try to improve the personnel... The full backs we brought in have certainly not strengthened us defensively, but possibly we can live with that, but the centre backs are shudderingly scary...

That is, if we have any money to bring a loan in. I can't believe the management aren't bringing someone in for fun....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:That is, if we have any money to bring a loan in. I can't believe the management aren't bringing someone in for fun....
Agreed except and bless Eddie's cotton socks, this is not the time to stand on ceremony.

He may have to invest to maintain some semblance of control over what he already has spent.

Easy for us to spend his money, of course, but I have bought 3 things with thermostats in the past couple of months so he must be doing ok.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

longy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by longy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:01 am

The problem as far as I can see is that we don't have a true captain on the pitch. Zat Knightmare is a big lad but that's the only way a team mate will ever look up to him. And actually looking back over the last few years and the steady demise of our football club i am fairly convinced we haven't had a good captain since Kevin Nolan in his heyday, before the pies and lethargy set in.

It's a bit like the armed forces I suppose, control at different levels, a manager screaming off the pitch MUST be backed up by a captain on the field (and in the dressing room) screaming the same shite and leading by example. We do not have this.

In Dougie's postmatch banter, and I quote from the Beebeeseee;

"I understand more than anyone exactly what we have to do to turn things around. We need a couple of players in on loan and time to gel as a team."

Well Doug, if you see it my way, you will realise that a solid, respected old school, hard working CD or CM is the key to returning this club to it's rightful place, a player with vision and presence who takes control and steadies the ship. Initially on loan of course with a view to being the backbone of the side next season on a long term contract. Any candidates?