If Freedman were to be sacked

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Re: If Freedman were to be sacked

Post by ChrisC » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:00 pm

If West Ham keep losing then Sam might be a free agent.... 8)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:16 pm

I think Dave Jones will be the next manager for the chop. Always thought he was decent but looking on borrowed time.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:18 pm

ChrisC wrote:If West Ham keep losing then Sam might be a free agent.... 8)
wouldn't be at all surprised.... and i'd have him back in a flash... (doubt he'd come back - though - if Garty were to leave, then... maybe... not that we'd be THAT attractive a proposition for him!!)

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:21 pm

He was offered the job again when Megson was sacked. He didn't want it.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:22 pm

BL3 wrote:He was offered the job again when Megson was sacked. He didn't want it.
If Gartside was to go then who knows?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:22 pm

BL3 wrote:He was offered the job again when Megson was sacked. He didn't want it.
and he probably wouldn't now. but that was some time ago now - not that you'd think it!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:24 pm

thebish wrote:
wouldn't be at all surprised.... and i'd have him back in a flash... (doubt he'd come back - though - if Garty were to leave, then... maybe... not that we'd be THAT attractive a proposition for him!!)
I think if Freedman is sacked then PG has to go as well. He can't be allowed to keep appointing managers who fail. So you never know.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:28 pm

I think Allardyce realised he'd taken us as far as he could when the club wouldn't back him to the extent that he felt was required, when we were in with a realistic chance of a Champions League place. I doubt he'd be interested in starting all over again from the position we were in when he first took over.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:32 pm

BL3 wrote:I think Allardyce realised he'd taken us as far as he could when the club wouldn't back him to the extent that he felt was required, when we were in with a realistic chance of a Champions League place. I doubt he'd be interested in starting all over again from the position we were in when he first took over.

I agree on the whole, but football is a funny game and you just never know!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:32 pm

i don't think anyone is seriously suggesting Sam will come back to bolton.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:24 pm

If Martin Jol gets sacked, which seems to be a matter of time, he'd be my number one choice, though I'm not sure whether he'd drop down to the Championship. He's an excellent manager though and I'd really like someone like him in the long term.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:32 pm

Amazing how "Sack the manager" and transfer threads get more coverage than the matches. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:41 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:If Martin Jol gets sacked, which seems to be a matter of time, he'd be my number one choice, though I'm not sure whether he'd drop down to the Championship. He's an excellent manager though and I'd really like someone like him in the long term.
I'm not having a go at you here SF, but this may as well be filed in the fantasy land where Sam Allardyce is about to ride back into town and return us to the top 6.

It is the same sort of issue I hear from people about signings now. Turning their nose up at the vast majority of players we're linked with or manage to buy. I myself was guilty of it. Questioning why we'd bother with a Milwall cast off. It is an easy trap to fall into.

But we're not a premiership club anymore. We're not attractive. We are a bottom of the championship, £100M in debt, reducing crowds, fans booing the chairman and the players, club in a fair amount of turmoil.

We won't be getting Martin bloody Clunes, let alone Martin Jol. I'm not even convinced we could attract certain out of work managers. I'm not trying to downplay us here, I just think a lot of the fanbase sit and watch (and I'm as guilty as anyone) and think there is a magic ingredient that will click us back into "place".

We aren't attractive at the minute. Frankly I don't think we'll be getting near returning to the premiership this season, nor for quite a while and we will have to start cutting our cloth accordingly. And that will mean finding a manager, whether that be Freedman or anyone else who wants to come here, work hard and do what they can on the cheap, with a fairly unappreciative fan base.

And that is sadly the reality we have to get used to.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Bearing in mind we probably couldn't afford to nick another manager. Of the experienced managers currently out of work, who are realistic options, of the top of my head I can think of;

Pulis, Warnock, Reid, Souness, Jones, Cotterill, Laws, Horton & Megson

Not particularly inspiring
It'd have to be Warnock wouldn't it?

Said it before but if it were to be Pulis I'd give up 'til he's gone. No interest in watching the ball sail from back to front, even if it occasionally is bundled into the net more times than the opposition pass, move and shoot into ours.

Even Warnock, Megson, Allardyce at our worst, were nothing on Pulis.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:And that will mean finding a manager, whether that be Freedman or anyone else who wants to come here, work hard and do what they can on the cheap, with a fairly unappreciative fan base.
Unappreciative of what? The dross that's been served up this season?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:55 pm

BL3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:And that will mean finding a manager, whether that be Freedman or anyone else who wants to come here, work hard and do what they can on the cheap, with a fairly unappreciative fan base.
I think the problem is that a number of our fans won't be happy till we're back in the top 8 of the premiership. I'm not saying there is anything special in that. We're just like many of those relegated sides who end up with low, disgruntled crowds at games.

Barefoot Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barefoot Wanderer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:13 pm

1. Nigel Clough or Peter Reid
2. BSA or Martin O'Neil

Barefoot Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Barefoot Wanderer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:26 pm

that's not as daft as it sounded in my ears. David Sullivan has said as much

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
BL3 wrote:
I think the problem is that a number of our fans won't be happy till we're back in the top 8 of the premiership. I'm not saying there is anything special in that. We're just like many of those relegated sides who end up with low, disgruntled crowds at games.
So in other words, we're no different from any other relegated club and therefore no less attractive to a potential manager.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:If Martin Jol gets sacked, which seems to be a matter of time, he'd be my number one choice, though I'm not sure whether he'd drop down to the Championship. He's an excellent manager though and I'd really like someone like him in the long term.
I'm not having a go at you here SF, but this may as well be filed in the fantasy land where Sam Allardyce is about to ride back into town and return us to the top 6.

It is the same sort of issue I hear from people about signings now. Turning their nose up at the vast majority of players we're linked with or manage to buy. I myself was guilty of it. Questioning why we'd bother with a Milwall cast off. It is an easy trap to fall into.

But we're not a premiership club anymore. We're not attractive. We are a bottom of the championship, £100M in debt, reducing crowds, fans booing the chairman and the players, club in a fair amount of turmoil.

We won't be getting Martin bloody Clunes, let alone Martin Jol. I'm not even convinced we could attract certain out of work managers. I'm not trying to downplay us here, I just think a lot of the fanbase sit and watch (and I'm as guilty as anyone) and think there is a magic ingredient that will click us back into "place".

We aren't attractive at the minute. Frankly I don't think we'll be getting near returning to the premiership this season, nor for quite a while and we will have to start cutting our cloth accordingly. And that will mean finding a manager, whether that be Freedman or anyone else who wants to come here, work hard and do what they can on the cheap, with a fairly unappreciative fan base.

And that is sadly the reality we have to get used to.
You really do swing from one extreme to another.

Life must be very tiring where everything is either ace or shit.