Wigan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Wigan

Post by Relentless09 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:20 pm

Seems like he hasn't learnt from his mistakes here, potential to be a decent manager but won't admit to his mistakes and try something new.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:30 pm

Whelan looks a right nob for appointing him over McClaren in the first place.

newcarsmell
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by newcarsmell » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:33 am

Ruined Bolton and now ruined Wigan. Blackburn next and he gets a free car sticker. No-one's done the North-West this much harm since Maggie Thatcher!

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:53 am

Never thought it would be that quick. Wigan blogs going with it would suggest they have pretty strong evidence. Wow!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:03 am

99% certain. Quite a few of the papers going with it. Just not been picked up by Sky and BBc yet, presumably verifying stuff with slightly more rigour.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:08 am

Wow..that was quick. I dont rate him after what he did to us but why am I surprized about how quickly this has happened. After all, his team have not been doing too badly in Europe.

Disappointed that we did not get to beat his team before he left. I was looking forward to that.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:14 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Never thought it would be that quick. Wigan blogs going with it would suggest they have pretty strong evidence. Wow!
ITK my friend .... ITK
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:14 am

chris hutchings is going back

itk

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:47 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:Wow..that was quick. I dont rate him after what he did to us but why am I surprized about how quickly this has happened. After all, his team have not been doing too badly in Europe.

Disappointed that we did not get to beat his team before he left. I was looking forward to that.
can't imagine europe has many factors in it really. it's just a sideshow to the real issue of trying to get promotion. looks like they are heading out anyway.

to my eye, it seems like results aren't even half the factor here as they are still in touch with the top 6. other factors have come into play which doesn't surprise me with coyle.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:52 am

Wonder who they'll replace him with - there are quite a few out of work just at the mo'. If I was a betting man I'd have thought that Holloway must be worth a few quid. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:56 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Wonder who they'll replace him with - there are quite a few out of work just at the mo'. If I was a betting man I'd have thought that Holloway must be worth a few quid. :conf:
Probably not, today, Bruce.

His odds went down from 33/1 to almost evens overnight.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:07 am

James B wrote:
irie Cee Bee wrote:Wow..that was quick. I dont rate him after what he did to us but why am I surprized about how quickly this has happened. After all, his team have not been doing too badly in Europe.

can't imagine europe has many factors in it really. it's just a sideshow to the real issue of trying to get promotion. looks like they are heading out anyway.

to my eye, it seems like results aren't even half the factor here as they are still in touch with the top 6. other factors have come into play which doesn't surprise me with coyle.
Surely not

It's all about results, everybody knows that

Having 6 of your mates along for happy clappy table tennis sessions is an irrelevance

Has Grant Holt bust out his shorts yet?
Sto ut Serviam

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:14 am

If I didn't know what a chancer he is, I'd say it seemed harsh.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 am

Holloway??

Is he out of the clinic then?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:24 am

Prufrock wrote:If I didn't know what a chancer he is, I'd say it seemed harsh.
Didn't a Bolton-based, former Wigan player say that training was a joke and his coaching methods had experienced players gawping with incredulity and basically they took the piss out of him in training and he got (understandably) snotty about the lack of respect shown ?

I read of players recently flouncing out of training and some player revolt was brewing.

What seems to have had him shot quite so quickly yesterday was an apparent attack on some sections of the fans. It was clearly a quickie as only he went yesterday and his "team" are still in charge for this week's games. Not that they'll survive, but it does show that Whelan acted before planning a replacement. Suggestions are that the fan reaction ... and his response to that ... was the final straw.

Whelan has some previous in ridding himself of managers quickly (not least our own, beloved, Bruce Rioch). Though Jewel managed 7 years and Martinez 4 until the love-in exit last summer there is a fair list of managers he turfed out within a year.

It's a shame Bolton didn't act so quickly once the wheels came of his happy-clappy wagon.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:28 am

bobo the clown wrote: Whelan has some previous in ridding himself of managers quickly (not least our own, beloved, Bruce Rioch).
Didn't Rioch tell him to shove it after Whelan (One for Spotty's little known facts here - Dave Whelan actually broke a leg in an FA Cup Final :roll: ) started telling Rioch how the players should be lined up on corners and whatnot?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:30 am

That's correct Bruce. In the players' bar after a game - in front of the players. Apparently he was lining them up and shoving them around into the 'right' positions. Quite soon after that Rioch told him to stick his job up his arse.

Did I mention that Whelan broke his leg in the FA Cup final?
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:36 am

Little known fact...

That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:37 am

^ can't be true... photoshop, surely?? if that had happened, he'd surely have mentioned it??

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:42 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Little known fact...

"... no,.no, no. That's not the way to carry me. You, hold your shoulder more to the left ... and you, that grip won't do at all ...."

Tell me they dropped him !!