Lennon announced on Offish site

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Lennon announced on Offish site

Post by StaffsTrotter » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:46 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I thought - but may be wrong - that Fullarton was more of a Sammy Lee, bridge-to-the-first-team type. Although he may just have been Freedman's inside agent... Maybe more info will come out now he's gone.

Andy Hughes was "a Freedman guy". They're not necessarily all of a type.
wasn't suggesting he was a type, but I guess he agreed with freedman about how things were done e.g. the split if the development team, which dont fit with the new ideas

anyway wasn't fullarton referenced by freedman when we took some youngster on (and the debate on here was to what extent DF was involved) - freedman basically said that credit should go to fullarton who'd identified him and would be developing him.

Always strikes me theres so many of these guys all falling over the same roles - do these guys have job descriptions ?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:47 am

Most yoofers will be found short if the comparison point is Januzaj.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:57 am

To be fair Bish, I only go and watch the ressies when they play at City or Man U because of where I live - there are no fixtures against those clubs this year so I won't be going unless they get drawn against them in the one of the cups.

Looking back I might have been a bit over critical on that night - but those were my initial reactions. Harsh & Fair. I think Vela was just back from injury (a familiar state) so probably understandably rusty. He didn't have a good game.

Fullarton literally stopped barking from the touchline in the second half because he was done, tactically, by Nicky Butt.

Tom Eaves controlled the ball with his studs and it rolled out for the throw-in. People laughed, myself the loudest. Not even Sunday League stuff.

KeyserSoze - the point I made was in the tactics. Yes JizzJazz dictated the play in the second half, but we didn't stick a man-marker on him. We didn't do anything to quash his supply line - those kind of decisions should have come from Fullarton.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:58 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I thought - but may be wrong - that Fullarton was more of a Sammy Lee, bridge-to-the-first-team type. Although he may just have been Freedman's inside agent... Maybe more info will come out now he's gone.

wasn't suggesting he was a type, but I guess he agreed with freedman about how things were done e.g. the split if the development team, which dont fit with the new ideas

anyway wasn't fullarton referenced by freedman when we took some youngster on (and the debate on here was to what extent DF was involved) - freedman basically said that credit should go to fullarton who'd identified him and would be developing him.

Always strikes me theres so many of these guys all falling over the same roles - do these guys have job descriptions ?
you'd hope so - but it's not at all clear to me what they actually do!!

Jimmy Phillips - "Head Of Academy" (kinda suggests - in overall charge?? where the buck should stop???)
David lee - "U18s Coach" - seems clear enough - but then wasn't Fullarton development squad coach - doesn't that include U18s? - presumably not!

ahh - looked it up - Fullarton was U21s coach..

so - Lee looks after U18s coaching / Fullarton used to do over18-21 coaching / Jiminho is in charge!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:03 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Chungy will be a definite starter along with Mavies.

Lennon likes to play a diamond midfield so I would think along the lines of..

------------Mavies--------------

Chungy-------------------Danns

-----------Spearing-------------
That sounds about right to me. Give we lack proper full backs, if Lennon wanted to play 3 with a proper defensive midfielder in front, we could go with:

___Mason - C. Davies
_____M. Davies
Hall - Spearing - Feeney
_______Medo
_Ream - Mills - Dervite
______Bogdan

The weakness in that team is that it's too narrow but defensively it should be solid as long as Medo plays the Obi Mikel role by never moving away from the defence, and keeping hold of possession would be easier too, so if Lennon does like 3 at the back, I wouldn't be against seeing how it could unfold.
I'll give you a million pounds if a team even remotely like that ever steps out, provided you give me a pound back for every goal it concedes!
So. Where does that offer stand legally Pru. In contract law terms ?

Though I agree I'm less slapdash with my £1m wagers.

By the way ... has anyone any idea when Tierney might reappear ?
I'm confident on both fronts!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:05 pm

jaffka wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Chungy will be a definite starter along with Mavies.

Lennon likes to play a diamond midfield so I would think along the lines of..

------------Mavies--------------

Chungy-------------------Danns

-----------Spearing-------------
That sounds about right to me. Give we lack proper full backs, if Lennon wanted to play 3 with a proper defensive midfielder in front, we could go with:

___Mason - C. Davies
_____M. Davies
Hall - Spearing - Feeney
_______Medo
_Ream - Mills - Dervite
______Bogdan

The weakness in that team is that it's too narrow but defensively it should be solid as long as Medo plays the Obi Mikel role by never moving away from the defence, and keeping hold of possession would be easier too, so if Lennon does like 3 at the back, I wouldn't be against seeing how it could unfold.
I'll give you a million pounds if a team even remotely like that ever steps out, provided you give me a pound back for every goal it concedes!
I get the idea that you are trying to put across but that is a favourable bet, do you really think you would get money back from laying out a million?

Were you pissed by any chance when you posted that?
Was I pissed?! Have you seen that team?

And yes, I literally believe I would get money back. #literallynotliteral
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:14 pm

thebish wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:

you'd hope so - but it's not at all clear to me what they actually do!!

Jimmy Phillips - "Head Of Academy" (kinda suggests - in overall charge?? where the buck should stop???)
David lee - "U18s Coach" - seems clear enough - but then wasn't Fullarton development squad coach - doesn't that include U18s? - presumably not!

so - Lee looks after U18s coaching / Fullarton used to do over18-21 coaching / Jiminho is in charge!
if thats right, then jiminho should be the key 'link' & guy where the buck stops.
Stlll poses the question mind of how this all fits in with the individuals (managers/ asst managers/ coaches etc) dealing with the 1st team. Did Jimmy used to sit on the bench with the rest of um

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:23 pm

thebish wrote:Jimmy Phillips - "Head Of Academy" (kinda suggests - in overall charge?? where the buck should stop???)

Might sound a daft question, but is the Development squad - what used to be the reserves, now primarily U21s with a limited number of overagers (like when Villa played Benteke and Joe Cole against us) - is that technically under the Academy? Or is the Academy up to 18, with the best thereof (and occasional signings, like Coyle's Joe McKee or Freedman's Andy Robinson) competing in the Development leagues? Basically: is Jiminho in overall charge of the U21s, or just the U18s and below? If the latter, does that mean we're not really following the Premier League's "Performance Pathway", in which the age of 17-21 is the "professional development phase"?

Perhaps Jiminho v Fullarton-and-Freedman was the big schism, and this will be a bright new dawn. But questions remain. If the Academy's at Lostock but the first team are at Euston, how do we mix the players up? Is the plan still, as per this 2008 BN piece, "to move en masse from the current training ground at Euxton"? First-teamers too?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:32 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
if thats right, then jiminho should be the key 'link' & guy where the buck stops.
Stlll poses the question mind of how this all fits in with the individuals (managers/ asst managers/ coaches etc) dealing with the 1st team. Did Jimmy used to sit on the bench with the rest of um
Currently, as far as i can tell, the first-team bods are: (job descriptions in blue)

Neil Lennon - all round saviour!
Johan Mjallby - first team coach and all-round hunk for the ladyfans
Garry Parker - first team coach

Mark Leather Head of Sports Performance
no idea!
Dave Dean Sports Rehabilitator
Dean’s job involves providing a wide range of massage routines to ensure that everyone at the club remains in peak physical condition. The massages are not just for players who have picked up a niggle. On the eve of any away matches for example, Dean will travel with the squad and offer massages to players that helps them sleep, which is all part of the team’s preparation. He also has to make sure all the stock of medical equipment we may need is readily available, help set up the treatment room and perform any last minute massages that are needed.
Brian Prestidge Head Of Performance Analysis
Prestidge’s work involves going through footage of future opponents as well as Wanderers matches, with a view to aiding improvement on the pitch every piece of meaningful action is observed and selected using bespoke software, to provide the manager and his staff with the necessary information to pass on to the players on a matchday. Working hand in hand with the scouts is another aspect of the Performance Analysis unit's daily routine. With access to such a wealth of footage of opposition players, any tips given to Cliff Roberts and his team are gratefully received.
Chris Short First Team Fitness Coach
In his everyday role, Short is responsible for the conditioning of the players, including rehabilitating gym and Cryotherapy sessions as well as monitoring body compositions and nutritional requirements and conducting warm-up sessions for all players and individuals.
Steve Megson First Team Head Physiotherapist
Megson is charged with monitoring and treating the fit and injured players alongside holding the responsibility of injury assessment and rehabilitation, injury prevention, training and match day preparation, medical screening and performance enhancement.
Dan Birdsall Strength & Conditioning Coach
Birdsall provides sports science advice and feedback to the manager and his coaching staff on a daily basis and works closely with the medical department during gym based rehabilitation of injured players.
Providing each player with a tailored recovery plan following matches and training, he also works closely with the medical department during gym based rehabilitation of injured players and structures the general conditioning program for the whole squad focusing on improving strength and power whilst reducing the risk of injury.

Kristian Aldred First Team Sports Scientist
Originally brought in to support the academy squad, Aldred progressed to work within Wanderers’ development squad set-up before joining the first team backroom staff in the summer of 2013.
Alongside monitoring the daily training load and producing summaries of collected data to ensure that the players are at the peak of fitness, Aldred also administers Cryotheraphy sessions and assists other members of the medical department with gym and field based conditioning sessions.

Matt Fox Assistant First Team Physiotherpist
Now a part of the first team set-up at the Reebok Stadium, Fox’s role requires him to assist with the rehabilitation of injured players alongside the preparation of players for training and matches.
Alan Watmough Soft Tissue Therapist
Working under the supervision of Head Physiotherapist Steve Megson, Watmough helps to form part of the rehabilitation treatment of injured players as and when required and provides soft tissue work on matchdays alongside assisting in setting up medical and nutritional equipment.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
thebish wrote:Jimmy Phillips - "Head Of Academy" (kinda suggests - in overall charge?? where the buck should stop???)

Might sound a daft question, but is the Development squad - what used to be the reserves, now primarily U21s with a limited number of overagers (like when Villa played Benteke and Joe Cole against us) - is that technically under the Academy? Or is the Academy up to 18, with the best thereof (and occasional signings, like Coyle's Joe McKee or Freedman's Andy Robinson) competing in the Development leagues? Basically: is Jiminho in overall charge of the U21s, or just the U18s and below? If the latter, does that mean we're not really following the Premier League's "Performance Pathway", in which the age of 17-21 is the "professional development phase"?

Perhaps Jiminho v Fullarton-and-Freedman was the big schism, and this will be a bright new dawn. But questions remain. If the Academy's at Lostock but the first team are at Euston, how do we mix the players up? Is the plan still, as per this 2008 BN piece, "to move en masse from the current training ground at Euxton"? First-teamers too?
If the first team is at Euston - they are very lost! :wink:

I have no idea at all how the non-first-team set-up works! I was kinda hoping you would! :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:42 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:But questions remain. If the Academy's at Lostock but the first team are at Euston, how do we mix the players up? Is the plan still, "to move en masse from the current training ground at Euxton"? First-teamers too?
I understood that to be the case. Just once the Lostock thingy is fully completed. Indeed, & I'm unsure whether the sale of Euxton would count as footballing income vis-à-vis FFP, but that land should fetch a decent amount. We've certainly spent a couple of bob on the Lostock stuff.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:22 pm

Odelusi - any talk of him coming back off loan? I think it was extended to the end of the season - does that mean we can't recall him? anyone know?

(for clarity's sake - I mean Oluwasanmi Babafemi Oluwaseu Odelusi - that one!)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:We all dream of a DevelopmentteamfullofAndraniks... :D Interesting how hard it is to fit all those Next Big Things into yer imperfect 11s...
Thought I'd responded to this, but can't find my response, so mustn't have hit submit.

There's the nub of it. If Vela is 6th/7th/8th pick, then sitting on a bench with two other midfielders that the manager would put on in front of him isn't much use, unless we're thinking of 3 MF changes. It probably puts him out of contention for the Monday night Dev Squad/Ressie games when the first team are playing on a Tuesday. So if that was the case (he might be Lennon's 5th choice MF for all I know), would it be better to keep him warming the bench of to try and break into a League 1 team's midfield?

He's a couple of years older than Nolan was, when Nolan scored 8 in his first Prem season. And three years older than when Nolan made his first team debut. Hall is a couple of years older.

At what point do you say, "Look son, this might not quite happen" - 21 isn't "first flush of youth".

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:43 pm

thebish wrote:Odelusi - any talk of him coming back off loan?
I thought I read a couple of days ago that he's not on loan but injured (knee) and is out until December.

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:43 pm

I need a new username! Who can help? Lennon'sEleven has a ring to it...

It's quite odd having all these positive vibes coming out of Bolton fans. I'm getting a bit swept up in it all - maybe Lennon is the Messiah?

Certainly handles the press better than Dougie or Megson - Coyle had his moments there, but started to sound like a stuck record to those of us who followed regularly.

The more I think about it, he really is a pretty massive name for us to land. I work among many non-Bolton fans, and I get the impression from them that this is being viewed as a massive coup by Gartside et al.

Time will tell - and I still query the wisdom of putting a third successive "young 'un" in charge - but he wants to further his career and the only way he can do that is with success.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:51 pm

I think you should use Lennon'sTwelve - as now we are all behind the manager (except fatshaft) - the crowd is that twelth man! ;-)

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:We all dream of a DevelopmentteamfullofAndraniks... :D Interesting how hard it is to fit all those Next Big Things into yer imperfect 11s...
Thought I'd responded to this, but can't find my response, so mustn't have hit submit.

There's the nub of it. If Vela is 6th/7th/8th pick, then sitting on a bench with two other midfielders that the manager would put on in front of him isn't much use, unless we're thinking of 3 MF changes. It probably puts him out of contention for the Monday night Dev Squad/Ressie games when the first team are playing on a Tuesday. So if that was the case (he might be Lennon's 5th choice MF for all I know), would it be better to keep him warming the bench of to try and break into a League 1 team's midfield?

He's a couple of years older than Nolan was, when Nolan scored 8 in his first Prem season. And three years older than when Nolan made his first team debut. Hall is a couple of years older.

At what point do you say, "Look son, this might not quite happen" - 21 isn't "first flush of youth".
Just depends what Lennon makes of him. Personally, I'd reduce the amount of MF's in front of him by sending out Pratley on loan because he offers absolutely nothing to us, and I'd maybe send Garvan back to Palace because he's been pretty woeful and useless so far.

I was a bit perplexed when Coyle swiftly moved Danny Ward on (for a decent fee albeit, but he was one of our most promising youngsters). As Simon Charlton put it a few weeks ago, there has to come a time when you give these players a chance. Otherwise we can continue flooding our team with 'experienced' players who are actually not that good, cost a heck of a lot in wages, and are turning us into an uninspired team that even the fans can't be bothered watching.

Say what we want, but fans love it when youth is given a chance. For whatever reason, it excites them.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:12 pm

video of him behind the scenes. Boggers also says in it he'll be fit in two to three weeks, and looks about as happy as a slapped arse saying it.

Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Jugs wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Just depends what Lennon makes of him. Personally, I'd reduce the amount of MF's in front of him by sending out Pratley on loan because he offers absolutely nothing to us, and I'd maybe send Garvan back to Palace because he's been pretty woeful and useless so far.

I was a bit perplexed when Coyle swiftly moved Danny Ward on (for a decent fee albeit, but he was one of our most promising youngsters). As Simon Charlton put it a few weeks ago, there has to come a time when you give these players a chance. Otherwise we can continue flooding our team with 'experienced' players who are actually not that good, cost a heck of a lot in wages, and are turning us into an uninspired team that even the fans can't be bothered watching.

Say what we want, but fans love it when youth is given a chance. For whatever reason, it excites them.
Would be happy to see some youngsters coming through, but it's not a major requirement for me. Flooding out team with any players irregardless of age, who are actually not that good won't make them any more watchable. Don't disagree with moving Pratley on, sending Garvan back and for me, Trotter too.

I don't care what age our team is, as long as it's winning, but hopefully not full of 40 year olds. I don't get more excited with one of our yoof coming through as any other signing being given a shot. They get judged by the same criteria - they're in our First Team. They should only be given a chance if they merit it, and are better than the actually not that good players they're replacing (or will become better with a little nudge in the right direction).

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:33 pm

thebish wrote:I think you should use Lennon'sTwelve - as now we are all behind the manager (except fatshaft) - the crowd is that twelth man! ;-)
Maybe, maybe. Though I like consistency. And let's face it, we'll be reaching for the pitchforks and bed sheets in a week or two...
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...