Dragon slayers! - Cardiff City (H) 04/11/14

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: Dragon slayers! - Cardiff City (H) 04/11/14

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:31 pm

boltonboris wrote:Dervite is head and shoulders above Wheater and Ream at CB.

Vela... Well, I think we may have a new right back.. Was great. Showed aggression, quality, nous and pace and I think it'd be a good idea to persist with him. There'll be the odd poor game, but that's to be expected.

Craig Davies was exceptional.. A performance akin to his namesake Kev and what bigger compliment could he receive than that?

Chungy Lively and stylish, but faded in and out of the game. Great to see him tackling and battling for every ball too. A player reborn.

Pratley was very good for his standards.. Never game them a second and was vital in letting our better players play, but as already said, he just isn't a footballer.

The difference in tempo, ability, style, selection and mentality was startling compared to what we've been used to. He's gone now, I know, but Freedman really should hang his feckin head in shame
Absolutely. Got to keep going now. Out of trouble by Christmas would be nice! :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:32 pm

Only going off those highlights, but we not only tried to play football, we actually did play football. That in it self is a massive step forward. Under Freedman we were like the shy kid trying to hide under Mum's skirt.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:Wow was not expecting that result! Sounds like Cravies and, credit where it's due, Pratley had storming games. Shame Feeney couldn't find his hat-trick, surely that would have been the first multiple hat-tricks in a season since Lofthouse's era?
McGinlay, no? (Maybe 93-94 or something?)
Might well have been, genuinely couldn't remember the last time we had more than one hat trick in a season so gave it a 30 second google. Kept getting hits for Lofthouse being the last one, but with nothing official I may well be wrong :)
Points to LK... A quickish check of http://bwfcstats.com/page2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seems to suggest that our last six hat-trick scorers before Mason this season were:

06.04.02 Bobic v Ipswich (H, 4-1)
28.01.01 Holdsworth v Scunny (H, FA Cup, 5-1)
25.08.98 Blake v Hartlepool (A)
27.11.96 McGinlay v Spurs (H, Lge Cup, 6-1)
23.04.94 McGinlay v Middlesbrough (H, 4-1)
05.03.94 McGinlay v Charlton (H, 3-2)
Let's not forget McGinlay's one in the downpour. I know it was for Bury, but it was in a Bolton match.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:51 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Why I don't rate Dervite just yet is highlighted 7 seconds into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2vyH5LB ... 53l44i0LFw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at him use his right foot/leg to try and stop that cross. Pathetic isn't the word. That's on a par with Tom Eaves controlling the ball with the sole of his boot! He's a footballing centre half, they say. Not yet guys and gals!
So nowt to do with last night's performance then ?

Hey, look at me with Trotter. I'm as capable of having a closed mind to someone as anyone else, but I do feel I have a bit more evidence.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Lenin does like to stand outside the marked out area doesn't he !!

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:08 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:Why I don't rate Dervite just yet is highlighted 7 seconds into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2vyH5LB ... 53l44i0LFw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at him use his right foot/leg to try and stop that cross. Pathetic isn't the word. That's on a par with Tom Eaves controlling the ball with the sole of his boot! He's a footballing centre half, they say. Not yet guys and gals!

Hey, look at me with Trotter. I'm as capable of having a closed mind to someone as anyone else, but I do feel I have a bit more evidence.
He barely showered himself in glory last night but did walk away with a clean sheet. So there's something.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:12 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I don't want to get carried away (and I think Lennon may benefit from a reluctance on our parts to knee-jerk after the last few years) but it really feels like a club reborn already.

As fans we're often caught in the cliche of "I don't mind the result a long as we're trying". We'll definitely lose games this season, but I get the feeling at least we'll try, at least we won't consider 4 shots on goal away from home a moral victory. You can carry a crowd with you when you play like that. When that happens you can build momentum.

Onwards, and hopefully, upwards.
This - just feels like NL knows what he is doing and can walk the talk. Just hope the support re-emerges to play its part.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:28 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:Just hope the support re-emerges to play its part.
Our lowest league crowd since April 2001. Those never-againners sure meant it.

On a different topic, just noticed our top scorers over the last six seasons have got 12, then 9, then 12, 9, 12 and 9. Due a 12er, obviously. Oh and we've had different top scorers in each of the last five seasons - guess away, if you wish.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:30 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

He barely showered himself in glory last night but did walk away with a clean sheet. So there's something.
A quote from a man who's made his mind up already if ever I saw one. I wish some of our fans would be more open to players they saw make a mistake once six months ago

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:40 pm

Dr Hotdogs is clearly in the Nolan was fat camp.

A pessimist if I ever saw one.

That 7 second highlight you mentioned showed a young right back not running in with his man allowing for the shot but we'll gloss over that as it doesn't allow the criticism to fall on the one player you mention.

The cup is half full but could be full if you turn the tap on.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:41 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

A quote from a man who's made his mind up already if ever I saw one. I wish some of our fans would be more open to players they saw make a mistake once six months ago

What do you want more from Dervite??

He's part of a defence that's much better and he looks less of a walking penalty/red card like Wheater?

Perhaps he isn't scoring enough goals for you?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:52 pm

Tuesday was the lowest since 2001? Wow! That makes it sound like some people were only showing up to boo/shout angrily.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm open to new players. I really am. Hence twice using the word 'yet' earlier. We're in the bottom three and he's been a mainstay at centre half since the last day of August. I'm yet to be convinced he's better than Wheater but there is plenty of time...

PS: Clearly, I hated Nobby Nolan and everything he stood for. :conf:

A Pessimist if ever you *read my words on the internet*

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:17 pm

"Only" 13 points off the play-offs, "Only" 16 points from topping the league and yet still a couple of points needed to get out of the relegation zone. What a crazy league.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Very good team performance....the players are certainly playing for NL and I think he can improve them even further....as I've said previously hopefully the club will allow NL a couple of attacking signings in the Jan window and then we won't be far off (IMO)

Played well against a decent Cardiff side (IMO), good tempo and movement - Vela was impressive (as where all the back 4 playing against some decent attackers), C Davies & CYL excellent....Pratley played ok, but not as good as some are making out but certainly much improved....for me its the overall energy, passion & desire in the side that's noticeable as well as the improved tempo and movement.

With regards to the missing fans coming back, to be honest I thought more would have returned already with NL here - but if we carry on like this they'll return, I think that you'll see a few more back against Wigan (even though its on TV) - difficult game though I think possibly a draw.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:14 pm

Great game for Vela to come into that. Pleased for him and a boost to confidence. I'll reserve judgement on whether he'll be a good full back until a tough away trip against a lively winger. I remember thinking Julian Darby was looking a decent centre half until he encountered Collymore at Burnden!
Good to know he's versatile though, hope he gets more games.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:46 pm

How good was Craig Davies! Obviously not a classy player or anything but with that sort of superb application he can cause problems all game to the opposition. Contrast with Beckford who spends half the game sat on the floor

It's funny after a win like that you tend to look at any weaknesses with optimism - if NL fixed them then we'd really be something... As opposed to just listing a load of what's shit!

Still in new manager bounce territory though so not time for the knighthood just yet!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:22 pm

On a different topic, just noticed our top scorers over the last six seasons have got 12, then 9, then 12, 9, 12 and 9. Due a 12er, obviously. Oh and we've had different top scorers in each of the last five seasons - guess away, if you wish.
I'll go Beckford, Eagles, Elmander, SKD, Anelka

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Beckford, Eagles, Klasnic, Elmander, SKD ?

Tailing on Worthy's hard work. Pretty sure he's skipped a year (blanketing out a relegation without Elmander, but with David N'Gog - who, I think, surprisingly doesn't make this list) with his last one having gone the season before (and being sold in Jan when on 15 and still top scorer?).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Wow :shock: Still, you'd expect more at home to Wigan.

Those Blackpool away tickets were snapped up quickly though.