Rumour has it.............

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Rumour has it.............

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:44 pm

Haha! Did occur to me.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:35 pm

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/11 ... 14/?ref=mr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does this Bonnar bloke go drinking with Freedman or does he just drink?

What a piss poor summary of Freedman's time here!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:20 am

Hoboh wrote:http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/11 ... 14/?ref=mr

Does this Bonnar bloke go drinking with Freedman or does he just drink?

What a piss poor summary of Freedman's time here!
That from someone that thinks the Russian revolution was a success.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:17 pm

What positive aspects of the absolute Monarchy of the Tsars suggests that it wasn't?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:13 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:What positive aspects of the absolute Monarchy of the Tsars suggests that it wasn't?
Indeed.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:What positive aspects of the absolute Monarchy of the Tsars suggests that it wasn't?
I suspect the percentage of general population killed (executed, purged, murdered, etc.) in peacetime was greater under Stalin than Nicholas II. I suspect a greater number died of starvation as a result of government planning too. However, I have not looked up any statistics and do not know this to be true.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I suspect the percentage of general population killed (executed, purged, murdered, etc.) in peacetime was greater under Stalin than Nicholas II. I suspect a greater number died of starvation as a result of government planning too. However, I have not looked up any statistics and do not know this to be true.
I'd say it was almost certainly true that Stalin executed, purged and murdered more than all the Romanovs put together... Though it is fairly obvious that this does not make the Romanovs a Good Thing...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:28 pm

So, are we signing this Romanov or not? :conf:
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:33 pm

Feck royalty, get the commons mon in

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:10 pm

William the White wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I'd say it was almost certainly true that Stalin executed, purged and murdered more than all the Romanovs put together... Though it is fairly obvious that this does not make the Romanovs a Good Thing...
Indeed, not a Good Thing but the challenge was in essence to name one thing that was better under the Romanovs and I thought of the sanctity and certainty of life.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:26 pm

Then we'd better sign Stalin

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:41 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
William the White wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Indeed, not a Good Thing but the challenge was in essence to name one thing that was better under the Romanovs and I thought of the sanctity and certainty of life.
I would suggest that reliable statistics for the Romanov's disastrous reign are a little thin on the ground, what with 95% of the population being inconsequential proles.

I would also suggest that the success of a revolution, indeed its existence at all, is wholly down to the poor quality of life preceding it. If life was significantly much worse for people under Stalin, why didn't they just have a second revolution? After all, they'd had the practice, they knew how to overthrow oppressive and violent regimes.

And just to play the pedant, I asked for positive aspects. Killing a few less people isn't a positive.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:03 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
William the White wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I would suggest that reliable statistics for the Romanov's disastrous reign are a little thin on the ground, what with 95% of the population being inconsequential proles.

I would also suggest that the success of a revolution, indeed its existence at all, is wholly down to the poor quality of life preceding it. If life was significantly much worse for people under Stalin, why didn't they just have a second revolution? After all, they'd had the practice, they knew how to overthrow oppressive and violent regimes.

And just to play the pedant, I asked for positive aspects. Killing a few less people isn't a positive.
I imagine it was a lot less people and would be perceived as positive by them and their relatives. :wink: Non-military unnatural deaths under Nicholas in the Khodynka Tragedy,the pogroms, Bloody Sunday and the 1905 Revolution suppression were numbered in the thousands, to which were added 3.3 million soldiers in WW1. Under Stalin the most reliable estimates place this number around 30 million, plus another 20 million deaths in WW2 (The lowest estimated for non-military unnatural deaths is 20 million and the highest over 60 million). Nicholas tended to imprison dissidents (including Lenin), while Stalin preferred execution.

The success of the revolution depended on Russia losing big time in WW1. This created the climate where revolution and civil war was possible. Had the Soviet Union lost in WW2 and been forced to sign a humiliating peace I suspect Stalin's reign would have been shorter. I also tend to believe the average Russian prole would have been more terrified of Stalin than good old Nick, and much less prone to voice discontent.

On reflection I wouldn't particularly like to have lived under either regime....

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:31 am

And there was me clicking on this thread because I thought that there was a rumour we were in for a player and I get 2 pages of in-depth discussion about Russian political history !
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:45 pm

Happy New Year to you all.

Nick Kuipers, (22) 6ft 3in Dutch man from MAA Maastrict has been taken on trial, Kuipers is out of contract at the end of the season and about four or five other Championship teams were looking to sign him also. NL will take 10 days to assess the player, source was Burnden Aces
Pfffft.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:50 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Happy New Year to you all.

Nick Kuipers, (22) 6ft 3in Dutch man from MAA Maastrict has been taken on trial, Kuipers is out of contract at the end of the season and about four or five other Championship teams were looking to sign him also. NL will take 10 days to assess the player, source was Burnden Aces

Would that be Tsar Nikolai Kuipers? Or am I getting confused..?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Commissar NiKolai Kuipers, comrade if you please.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:10 pm

There are two Nick Kuipers and a Nicky Kuiper. Nicky is the one without a contract. Nick from Maastrict is a central defender, while the other two are left backs. All a bit confusing.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:19 pm

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... k_Kuipers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:28 pm

yayyyy!! would his signing mean we could start up the famous fish-pun threads again??? :D