On This Day In History

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: On This Day In History

Post by Enoch » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:07 pm

On this day in 1605, I wager, someone, somewhere, was kicking an inflated pigs bladder against some wattle & daub and dreaming of some kind of glory.

COYW

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:08 pm

It may well have been, Heskey.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:10 pm

Enoch wrote:It may well have been, Heskey.
:lol:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Oh, I'm not sure. Just because we lucked through once - twice, with Atletico - doesn't make it forgivable.

Bayern: Kahn; Jansen, Lucio, Van Buyten, Lell; Ribéry (Kroos, 60), Ottl, Van Bommel, Schweinsteiger (Altintop, 73); Podolski (Toni, 57), Klose. Substitutes not used: Rensing, Ze Roberto, Schlaudraff, Sosa.
I just mean we were playing weakened teams all the way through. Not just in the quarters.

Getting a draw at Bayern with that team is probably the most remarkable result we've ever had.
Only team ever to beat Red Star Belgrade on their own turf?
Jesus Christ, how good are Red Star Belgrade (or the combination of consonants they now go by)?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Oh, I'm not sure. Just because we lucked through once - twice, with Atletico - doesn't make it forgivable.

Bayern: Kahn; Jansen, Lucio, Van Buyten, Lell; Ribéry (Kroos, 60), Ottl, Van Bommel, Schweinsteiger (Altintop, 73); Podolski (Toni, 57), Klose. Substitutes not used: Rensing, Ze Roberto, Schlaudraff, Sosa.
I just mean we were playing weakened teams all the way through. Not just in the quarters.

Getting a draw at Bayern with that team is probably the most remarkable result we've ever had.
Jesus Christ, how good are Red Star Belgrade (or the combination of consonants they now go by)?!
^^ This season so far, we've been beaten by MK Dons and Burton Albion. Red Star are bloody brilliant.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:28 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

:mrgreen:
British team I think TD. Still a fantastic result.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:09 pm

On this day in history, on New Year's Eve 1983, my best mate and I, both aged 16 caught the train to Sheffield. This was a MASSIVE adventure. We played Sheffield United at Bramhall lane, far and away the most impressive football ground that either of us had ever been to. We got dicked 5-0 but were still singing "Jon McGovern's Superwhite Army" as the fifth one hit the back of the net. Ray Deakin (RIP) had as poor a game as I've ever seen.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:On this day in history, on New Year's Eve 1983, my best mate and I, both aged 16 caught the train to Sheffield. This was a MASSIVE adventure. We played Sheffield United at Bramhall lane, far and away the most impressive football ground that either of us had ever been to. We got dicked 5-0 but were still singing "Jon McGovern's Superwhite Army" as the fifth one hit the back of the net. Ray Deakin (RIP) had as poor a game as I've ever seen.
I was there too! Went with my mate with the travel club. We were mullered weren't we? Could have been even worse if Simon Farnworth hadn't saved a penalty too!!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:On this day in history, on New Year's Eve 1983, my best mate and I, both aged 16 caught the train to Sheffield. This was a MASSIVE adventure. We played Sheffield United at Bramhall lane, far and away the most impressive football ground that either of us had ever been to. We got dicked 5-0 but were still singing "Jon McGovern's Superwhite Army" as the fifth one hit the back of the net. Ray Deakin (RIP) had as poor a game as I've ever seen.

I was also there Bruce! And strangely enough, It was my 16 year old self and my 16yr old mate! :P :P

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:17 pm

jonnycooper wrote:

I was also there Bruce! And strangely enough, It was my 16 year old self and my 16yr old mate! :P :P

It was also around this time that the Leg End that is Tony Caldwell embarked on a (relationship)with my girlfriends sister! In over 2 years of asking,he never once provided me with a free ticket for Burnden!!! :spank:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:58 pm

jonnycooper wrote:
jonnycooper wrote:

It was also around this time that the Leg End that is Tony Caldwell embarked on a (relationship)with my girlfriends sister! In over 2 years of asking,he never once provided me with a free ticket for Burnden!!! :spank:
fecking Electricians, eh?! Utterly unreliable since that nice person first had his kite and his door-key out! :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:08 pm

On this day in history 1/1/91 we beat Bournemouth 4-1 at home. I can't remember either JD's goal or TP's penalty. What I do remember though are Paul Comstive's (RIP) two goals directly from corners. :oyea:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:On this day in history 1/1/91 we beat Bournemouth 4-1 at home. I can't remember either JD's goal or TP's penalty. What I do remember though are Paul Comstive's (RIP) two goals directly from corners. :oyea:
Compo wanted to take the penalty to complete his hat-trick but Tony P claimed he'd got a touch on one of the corners.

Best memory of that game isn't from that game. It's from watching the Higson highlights. During the second half there as a downpour and, as was customary in those days when Burnden was rarely even half-full, the travelling fans were allowed to move from the Embankment cover of the Paddock. A few minutes later came this gem: "Just one solitary Bournemouth fan in the Embankment now... [a few seconds, a murmured off-mic conversation] ...oh, I've just been informed it's a ball boy!"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:On this day in history 1/1/91 we beat Bournemouth 4-1 at home. I can't remember either JD's goal or TP's penalty. What I do remember though are Paul Comstive's (RIP) two goals directly from corners. :oyea:
Compo wanted to take the penalty to complete his hat-trick but Tony P claimed he'd got a touch on one of the corners.

Best memory of that game isn't from that game. It's from watching the Higson highlights. During the second half there as a downpour and, as was customary in those days when Burnden was rarely even half-full, the travelling fans were allowed to move from the Embankment cover of the Paddock. A few minutes later came this gem: "Just one solitary Bournemouth fan in the Embankment now... [a few seconds, a murmured off-mic conversation] ...oh, I've just been informed it's a ball boy!"
:D I've just gone through my DVDs and discovered that I have that season's highlights compilation. That's me sorted for the next hour or so. ;)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:18 pm

On this day in history 1993 :D

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:56 pm

"McGinlay does it again!"

Got delayed en route and was still walking up to Anfield when that went in. Thought the scallies outside were having us on when they told us what had happened.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:59 pm

I was in - just about - and it were fkn wonderful.

For some reason one of the clearest memories is debating who we'd most like to score the third goal. "Didsy deserves one." "What about Greeny?" "Nah, Zico, he's a Scouser..."

One of our number had elected not to go to the replay, saying we'd get hammered and saving his beer tokens for the weekend instead. Think we all bought him a pint that Saturday anyway in commiseration.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:33 pm

Leapt up in row N as that went in. Ended up bruised yet still delirious in row C :D . What a night!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:24 pm

Yes, I have just an unfortunate blur of a memory. Nothing specific, just lots of anxiety. It may well be my downfall when operation yew tree finally get around to interviewing the non celeb element amongst us, because I've no idea what happened later that night. In fact, the next two days were a bit hazy.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:50 pm

See? It's not all bad in Div One.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!