More than one owl? Count me in! SWFC away 12/1

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: More than one owl? Count me in! SWFC away 12/1

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:59 pm

Best 2 keepers in my lifetime by a country mile were Branagan and Jussi. They do make the difference but you can manage with even an average keeper if the rest of your side is well organised - See Davison, Aiden. Amos is more than good enough for League 1 imo
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:04 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Amos is more than good enough for League 1 imo
At a reported £16kpw you'd fkn hope so.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Amos is more than good enough for League 1 imo
At a reported £16kpw you'd fkn hope so.
He's not as ginger as Boggers either.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:12 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:Guilty on the pining, but I'm far from a goalie. I reckon they're the No.1 priority when writing a team sheet. Big Sam used to harp on with his "Clean Sheet = Win Game" mantra (or something to that effect). Factually it's incorrect (obviously!) but building from the back is something I advocate, and that starts with a strong goalie. Lonergan had plenty of 1st team experience but in my eyes is a limited 'keeper. So too did Boggers and I reckon we got stung (as usual) letting him Bosmanify himself. He was by far and away our best goaller when we had the luxury of bringing him in for the FA Cup game at Anfield last January when Lonny was 'in good form'. feck that shit. Play you best at all times in Net. You can't feck about with Goalies.

Amos had never been the No.1 for a full season for any club at any level before, so his signing was a risk. I get the cloth cutting (although I can't claim to know any figures) and we probably couldn't afford to re-sign Boggy and so we plumped for Amos. Pining. Regret. All those things. It's a steady decline and it hurts!
I think you're being a little harsh on Amos there, he's got the worst back 4 we've had since...it must be at least since the early 90s. I personally reckon he could be at least as good as Bogdan, given a good (or better) backline. Bogdan, like how you've described Amos and Lonergan, was a fairly limited keeper too IMO. Good shot stopper, but also had the tendency to be beaten by long range efforts, was truly horrendous at collecting crosses/corners, and possessed hit-and-miss distribution. I've found Amos to be a more well rounded goalkeeper; and like Bogdan he has been thrust into the #1 spot when the proverbial is hitting the fan. Despite a crap back line, and the odd mistake (like their first - not that it's all on him mind) I think he's been one of the few bright spots for the future of our team along side Clough, and arguably Vela and Holding.

He's also 3 years younger than Bogdan, and I think he will flourish into a good Championship to mid premier league goalie. 25 is young for a goalkeeper, and most don't really start to shine until around this age. I just question whether we can carry his wage forwards without a takeover.

@HG: Agreed. I think I'm on the younger end of the forum being born in the 80s, but Jussi was one of the best keepers in the league during most of his time with us, I'd place him slightly above Branagan.

I think he's fine, but no more. Also not sure reported £16kpw is a good use of funds given where we are/were.

Also, defence has been shit for large parts of the season, but at the moment I'd say it's the best part of the team (something I appreciate is VERY relative). We're a partner for big Dave away from being fine there.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:20 pm

You all seem to have forgotten Simon Farnworth and Kevin Rose :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:You all seem to have forgotten Simon Farnworth and Kevin Rose :)
Or Aiden Davidson?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:47 pm

What? No mention of The Cat? :D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:What? No mention of The Cat? :D
Wales' No. 1? Poodle/cat hybrid?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:06 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:What? No mention of The Cat? :D
Wales' No. 1? Poodle/cat hybrid?
That's the badger :D

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:45 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:You all seem to have forgotten Simon Farnworth and Kevin Rose :)
Or Aiden Davidson?
Always thought he was a decent back-up for Keith Branagan.

Although I seem to remember he had an annoying habit of playing pat-a-cake with the ball instead of catching it. I suppose in hindsight, that is a bit of a flaw in a keeper...

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:34 pm

Steve Banks... Sadly no relation or resemblance to Gordon
Gavin Ward looked the part until kick off then he looked more like Rachel..

Big Bad Bazzer Siddall and his performing tash! He was my boyhood hero.. I was only small though so I suspect he may have been bobbins
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:07 pm

What about the England goalie we had??? He was good...

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:32 pm

I started watching us when Jim McDonagh were between the sticks! He were ace!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:45 pm

norm the jedi wrote:
Big Bad Bazzer Siddall and his performing tash! He was my boyhood hero.. I was only small though so I suspect he may have been bobbins
He was my first keeper too, Norm. Anyone remember Charlie Wright int' nets? I believe he wasn't very good. Read also Dennis Peacock and Mike Salmon.
May the bridges I burn light your way

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
norm the jedi wrote:
He was my first keeper too, Norm. Anyone remember Charlie Wright int' nets? I believe he wasn't very good. Read also Dennis Peacock and Mike Salmon.
Charlie was in for my first games but I was that young I can't remember owt ! Except a christmas 1 each draw with Blackpool when it was that foggy that you couldn't see the Great lever end from the Embankment.
I would have been about 5? Me dad never thought much of Charlie as a goalie and he were considerably less complimentary about his management skills..

Looked it up 73 boxing day - I was 9 ??? still cant remember owt...
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:26 pm

Anyone remember that song in front of Bolton town hall,to the tune of Matchstalk men! Think it was a promotion season,mid to late 70,s? I was a nipper but still have memory of it!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:33 pm

jonnycooper wrote:Anyone remember that song in front of Bolton town hall,to the tune of Matchstalk men! Think it was a promotion season,mid to late 70,s? I was a nipper but still have memory of it!
Aye. That was also goalkeeper related.

Now Jimmy played for Rotherham
When Bolton started calling him
To come on down and wear the old flat cap.
They said tell us all about your ways
And all about your Rotherham days
Is it true you're just, an ordinary chap?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
norm the jedi wrote:
I watched fat Stan Hanson and then was lucky enought to be around for Eddie Hopkinson's career. (I'll post this from Wicki to save my memory some strain ):

"During his club career he played for Oldham Athletic and Bolton Wanderers, the latter from August 1952 to November 1969, where he holds the club record for appearances (519 matches). He also played in 38 FA Cup matches and 21 Football League Cup matches. He earned 14 caps for the England national football team from 1957 to 1959, and was England's reserve goalkeeper at the 1958 FIFA World Cup. He also won 6 Under-23 caps for England. In 1958 he won an FA Cup winners medal, keeping a clean sheet against Manchester United. He was an assistant trainer at Bolton Wanderers until he became assistant manager at Stockport County in 1974. He later worked for a chemical company as a company representative. Eusebio played in his 1971 testimonial game. He also played for Ashton United."

Charlie Wright was the original vampire keeper probably responsible for the "terrified of crosses" quote. Not memorable at all.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:14 pm

Simon Farnworth was the worst keeper I ever saw on crosses. Truly awful. Was good on penalties though

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:34 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Simon Farnworth was the worst keeper I ever saw on crosses. Truly awful. Was good on penalties though
I particularly enjoyed the penalty he faced on the final day of the 92-93 season!
:pissed: