Mark Davies

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Mark Davies

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:45 pm

We're fvckin cursed.

It's always key players and they're such serious injuries.

Gutting.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Balls. Poor him. Poor us.

Right, Chris Eagles, we need you. There's also Chungy, who's not as directly confrontational but can link play at speed as part of a counter-attacking unit. And you can also make a case for Ngog playing a similar role as the intelligent linkman, although not (as) capable of dropping to stiffen the midfield when need be.

Pratley has been used as our most advanced midfielder (as recently as Tuesday...) but is a different type of player: an ever-willing runner, a late-arriving goal threat. He's certainly a good player to have in that role for a difficult away game, or if we need to close a game out. I wonder if Holden will be similar: pre-injury he was always happy to get the ball and redistribute it, but more frequently over 10-15-20 yards than the more nip-and-tuck intricacies of Mark Davies. I also feel he might be happier facing goal and driving on than being the essential go-to guy, although again I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

I do think we might also look at the loan market. Nick Powell isn't a bad shout – Fergie hopes he's the new Scholes - but we'll see who Dougie might turn up: nobody predicted Butterfield...

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Jez wrote:Wasn't pratley decent in that role?
Pratley is absolutely shocking when he has to receive the ball in a tight space, make a good first touch, and move the ball smartly on or dribble into a better position - all things that are Mavies's strong points.

Which is not to say that Pratley is useless - he is shown this season that he is useful when he isn't stuck in the middle two of a 4-4-2, where he just doesn't have the ball playing skills to survive. If he has some licence to get around and be a destroyer/make runs into the box then he's a handful at this level.

But he's no replacement for Mark Davies, sadly.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Yeah, DSB has put it better than me!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:49 pm

If it's the Eagles of first half of the season we might not miss him too much, although we still obviously will, but if Eagles hasn't picked up after his recent rest we are screwed.
I'm really gutted for the lad. Changed my opinion of him massively this season, always thought he was a bit of a luxury who had talent but not application. This year he's been great, I witnessed his previous injury at huddersfield where he was brilliant at times, and had the guts to play on like he tried on Tuesday. And to come back after a spell out and be MOM against Hull was fantastic.
Good luck to him and let's hope 'up to 10 months' is a cautious estimate and he's back well before Christmas.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Mark Davies was pretty much a luxury that needed carrying last season.

Perhaps it was the manager or the higher level.

This season he's been pretty important when fit, to unlock the doors of championship defences.

Again, whether thats down to a manager who is more pragmatic locking the door behind him to free him more, or a lower level......

It doesn't matter, it's a huge miss either way.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:06 pm

It is a big miss but he's young and keen and he'll be back. I think Dougie is what he needs as a manager. And we are on the up and can continue in this vein. I would personally make the squad repeatedly watch Roadrunner videos of Rioch's first season and how we rallied after Walker's similar injury, how Julian Darby stepped up to become a Bolton legend after being murdered by idiot fans like Eagles has been. Then I wnat Ngog to score the winner in the play-off final and declare in his post match interview that 'Eet really ees a deeeeeng dong dooo'. CMON!!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:06 pm

LeverEnd wrote:It is a big miss but he's young and keen and he'll be back. I think Dougie is what he needs as a manager. And we are on the up and can continue in this vein. I would personally make the squad repeatedly watch Roadrunner videos of Rioch's first season and how we rallied after Walker's similar injury, how Julian Darby stepped up to become a Bolton legend after being murdered by idiot fans like Eagles has been. Then I wnat Ngog to score the winner in the play-off final and declare in his post match interview that 'Eet really ees a deeeeeng dong dooo'. CMON!!!!
:pray:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Cnting bollocks

massive loss...been our most consistent player in a season of inconsistency

is it time to piss on the corner flags?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Mark Davies was pretty much a luxury that needed carrying last season.

Perhaps it was the manager or the higher level.

This season he's been pretty important when fit, to unlock the doors of championship defences.

Again, whether thats down to a manager who is more pragmatic locking the door behind him to free him more, or a lower level......

It doesn't matter, it's a huge miss either way.
When we changed the system (pre Wigan), he was playing brilliantly behind N'gog and for a short while was one of the stand out players in the league. There was talk of England caps and United interest.

As you say.. A huge miss.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:38 pm

10 months? Ouch.

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Is our Statium built on an old indian burial ground ? I can't believe the luck we have, probably our most influentail/creative player at the moment, same thing happened last season with Holden. IF he'd stayed fit i think we could of maybe strung a few results togther, but after he went off on Tuesday, the rest of the team seemed at 6's and 7's.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:48 pm

This is all your fault, some of you lot, you dared hope, you fools, you let hope creep in so then *BAM* the god of injuries thought 'right, i'm not having this, bolton fans having hope, putting a stop to this right away i am'

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:51 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:This is all your fault, some of you lot, you dared hope, you fools, you let hope creep in so then *BAM* the god of injuries thought 'right, i'm not having this, bolton fans having hope, putting a stop to this right away i am'
I had hope... :oops:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:This is all your fault, some of you lot, you dared hope, you fools, you let hope creep in so then *BAM* the god of injuries thought 'right, i'm not having this, bolton fans having hope, putting a stop to this right away i am'
I had hope... :oops:
Yes, well, thank you Mr Spot. Nice going. Couldn't be cool could you...couldn't just stay cool, whistle, be nonchalant, pretend you didn't care, like it was the last thing on your mind. :(

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Sponge wrote:I know all fans feel their club is the most unfortunate when it comes to injuries, but this is a fecking piss-take. He's only just come back! feck feck feck
These things should even themselves out over a season or two, but I do think we've been unusually unlucky recently. How many others teams have lost as many of their best players as we have? Had Holden, Chungy and Muamba been fit all last year, I don't think we'd have gone down. With a fully fit squad this year, including Davies and Wheater, I think we'd be higher in the league we are.

We don't have that many injuries in our squad. It just seems that key players are getting injured all the time.

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:03 pm

The poor bloke. What a load of bad luck lately.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:04 pm

He'll come back with his whole face tattooed, i reckon.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:05 pm

Just been totting a few up off the top of my head.

Since Holden got injured...

Holden
Wheater
Ricketts
Alonso
Mark Davies
Chungy
Mears
Vela

Out for a total of about 7 years (give or take a couple of months) between them.

Not even mentioning Muamba & Ricardo

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:21 pm

boltonboris wrote:Just been totting a few up off the top of my head.

Since Holden got injured...

Holden
Wheater
Ricketts
Alonso
Mark Davies
Chungy
Mears
Vela

Out for a total of about 7 years (give or take a couple of months) between them.

Not even mentioning Muamba & Ricardo
or Sean Davies...