Next season - might as well get it started now.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Next season - might as well get it started now.

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:30 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: Not sure I'd turf out all the babies with the bathwater - Niall Maher, for example?

Quick recap: here's the contract situation.
Out of contract this summer: Paul Rachubka, Ross Fitzsimons, Hayden White, Niall Maher, Oscar Threlkeld, Rob Holding, Alex Finney, David Wheater, Quade Taylor, Neil Danns, Jordan Lussey, Tom Walker, Liam Feeney, Rob Hall, Emile Heskey, Stephen Dobbie, Tom Eaves, Kaiyne Woolery
2017: Lawrie Wilson, Francesco Pisano, Dorian Dervite, Dean Moxey, Josh Vela, Filip Twardzik, Jay Spearing, Liam Trotter, Mark Davies, Gary Madine, Max Clayton
2018: Derik Osede, Darren Pratley, Conor Wilkinson
2019: Ben Amos, Zach Clough

From what we've been told I'd surmise that the big earners contracted after this summer will be Spearing, Davies, Amos, Pratley; I'd suspect Trotter, Moxey, Dervite and possibly Derik are on middleish wages, with Wilson and Madine on less still.
My post was poorly worded - sorry. I meant the youngsters that have shown promise when I said the likes of Cough and Holding.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:44 am

Job one is getting rid of that useless bastard.

Should be pretty easy,

"Until I get told otherwise I am contracted to Bolton.”

"Ok, Darren, you're not contracted to Bolton. F*ck off".
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:21 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:From what we've been told I'd surmise that the big earners contracted after this summer will be Spearing, Davies, Amos, Pratley.
Shouldn't the players on the highest wages be the best players. Ideally the highest earners would be 20+ goal strikers, although there's probably a case for having a decent goalkeeper who is paid accordingly. Maybe I'm old-fashioned.

Are these four our best players? Do we have any best players? I'd assume that the highest earners would be on a Prem/Champ wage level that's way above the norm for league one. Would they tear league one teams apart or would it be much like this season? If it's more of the same their wages could hold the squad back. So then we're waiting another couple of years with under par players and a few overpaid divas. This is the kind of thing that concerns me for the future.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:39 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:From what we've been told I'd surmise that the big earners contracted after this summer will be Spearing, Davies, Amos, Pratley.
Shouldn't the players on the highest wages be the best players. Ideally the highest earners would be 20+ goal strikers, although there's probably a case for having a decent goalkeeper who is paid accordingly. Maybe I'm old-fashioned.
Me and you both mate, but that assumes meritocracy rather than capitalism. Players will get paid what clubs think they're worth, and if Spearing was on a good whack at Liverpool, then maybe we had to pay him something similar when we signed him permanently in Sep 2013 after his (successful) loan spell. Davies was being chased by Premier League clubs when we improved/extended his contract in Feb 2013.

Those two were on Freedman's watch, when we thought we were going up through the roof rather than down through the floor; same with David Wheater's three-year extension in Jul 2013. I sort of understand that – certainly more than the long contracts the Coyle administration handed to otherwise unwanted players the previous summer - but I find it harder to comprehend the events of last July, when we gave Amos four years, Pratley three and Madine two.

That was under Lennon, but then again a manager will almost always max out the budget he is given by his CEO and owner. How much did Eddie and Phil know about what would happen financially within six months? I'm glad we're being run by people who seem sensible in intention; but history judges on actions, not pretensions.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:40 pm

We can only use Spearing for half a bloody season, unless we come to some agreement with Liverpool.

I wouldn't be unhappy to off the lot of those, although it would appear not to be that simple...If they're on anything like the alleged wages, I'd roll the dice.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:We can only use Spearing for half a bloody season, unless we come to some agreement with Liverpool.
Or pay a £100,000 bonus, which might be the equivalent of about six weeks' wages to him, but is more like half a season under the suggested £4kpw player-wage benchmark. If we can't shift him in summer, personally I'd be minded to pick him as we choose up until Christmas - it's triggered when he plays his 23rd league game - then see if he either attracts a buyer, fancies seeing out his contract in the reserves or will negotiate with us and LFC (he could, for example, offer to have the bonus money taken from his wages, so it's not coming off BWFC's bottom line).

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Me and you both mate, but that assumes meritocracy rather than capitalism. Players will get paid what clubs think they're worth, and if Spearing was on a good whack at Liverpool, then maybe we had to pay him something similar when we signed him permanently in Sep 2013 after his (successful) loan spell. Davies was being chased by Premier League clubs when we improved/extended his contract in Feb 2013.

Those two were on Freedman's watch, when we thought we were going up through the roof rather than down through the floor; same with David Wheater's three-year extension in Jul 2013. I sort of understand that – certainly more than the long contracts the Coyle administration handed to otherwise unwanted players the previous summer - but I find it harder to comprehend the events of last July, when we gave Amos four years, Pratley three and Madine two.

That was under Lennon, but then again a manager will almost always max out the budget he is given by his CEO and owner. How much did Eddie and Phil know about what would happen financially within six months? I'm glad we're being run by people who seem sensible in intention; but history judges on actions, not pretensions.
They should have known everything - given they were (supposedly) in charge. They were either completely incompetent or buried their heads in the sand. We can (and do) blame the players / manager / referees for our relegation BUT Gartside and Davies alone are responsible for the financial plight. Not much Gartside can do but Eddie Davies being President of the club is a f*ck8ng disgrace. Had he put the club up for sale earlier and not p8ssed arround for 6 months through the middle of the season things could have been different. Far from selling the club for a pound he is still wanting to recoup some of his losses whilst (oh so generously) giving the club 2 years to pay him. It also appears that the exact scale of the debt was not known at the time the sale was finalised. If this is the case surely Sportshield would have some means of redress? Sorry to rant but Eddie Davies leaves a nasty taste in my mouth (cue smutty inuendos).

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:29 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: Not sure I'd turf out all the babies with the bathwater - Niall Maher, for example?

Quick recap: here's the contract situation.
Out of contract this summer: Paul Rachubka, Ross Fitzsimons, Hayden White, Niall Maher, Oscar Threlkeld, Rob Holding, Alex Finney, David Wheater, Quade Taylor, Neil Danns, Jordan Lussey, Tom Walker, Liam Feeney, Rob Hall, Emile Heskey, Stephen Dobbie, Tom Eaves, Kaiyne Woolery
2017: Lawrie Wilson, Francesco Pisano, Dorian Dervite, Dean Moxey, Josh Vela, Filip Twardzik, Jay Spearing, Liam Trotter, Mark Davies, Gary Madine, Max Clayton
2018: Derik Osede, Darren Pratley, Conor Wilkinson
2019: Ben Amos, Zach Clough

From what we've been told I'd surmise that the big earners contracted after this summer will be Spearing, Davies, Amos, Pratley; I'd suspect Trotter, Moxey, Dervite and possibly Derik are on middleish wages, with Wilson and Madine on less still.
My post was poorly worded - sorry. I meant the youngsters that have shown promise when I said the likes of Cough and Holding.
he said to the nurse! :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:55 pm

thebish wrote: he said to the nurse! :D
You are Leslie Phillips and I claim my Internet fiver :P

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:32 am

cant imagine we'll have any trouble shifting Spearing, especially on a free.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:36 am

General Mannerheim wrote:cant imagine we'll have any trouble shifting Spearing, especially on a free.
You'd like to think not but if there's any truth in that 400k end of contract bonus plus his wages, he'd not be that cheap for any would be purchaser
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:04 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:cant imagine we'll have any trouble shifting Spearing, especially on a free.
You'd like to think not but if there's any truth in that 400k end of contract bonus plus his wages, he'd not be that cheap for any would be purchaser
Aye the problem isn't going to be his transfer fee, it more likely to be whether anyone would meet his current salary. We were trying to have a fire sale in January - get wages off the books - whilst there clearly seems to have been a bid for Clough who didn't want to go, wonder why any of our other "stars" didn't get picked up for next to nowt?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:17 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Aye the problem isn't going to be his transfer fee, it more likely to be whether anyone would meet his current salary. We were trying to have a fire sale in January - get wages off the books - whilst there clearly seems to have been a bid for Clough who didn't want to go, wonder why any of our other "stars" didn't get picked up for next to nowt?
Not many clubs – who would want him – will have that much flexibility in their wage bill in January; June is a different matter. The winter window is for patch-ups, the summer for overhauls.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:22 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Not many clubs – who would want him – will have that much flexibility in their wage bill in January; June is a different matter. The winter window is for patch-ups, the summer for overhauls.
Fair point, well made. But I thought we were that desperate in Jan, if we'd have got £1k per week off our wages by loaning him out (you pay £1k, we'll pay the rest), we'd have taken it. :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:29 am

Worthy4England wrote:Fair point, well made. But I thought we were that desperate in Jan, if we'd have got £1k per week off our wages by loaning him out (you pay £1k, we'll pay the rest), we'd have taken it. :-)
Know what you mean. And if we can't shove him this summer, it might get to that next January - if we hit the 23-game £100,000 bonus...

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:00 pm

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/stev ... 58384.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Walford and Garry Parker gone.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Riviman wrote:http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/stev ... 58384.aspx?

Well ... now we're fckd. :?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:28 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Riviman wrote:http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/stev ... 58384.aspx?

Well ... now we're fckd. :?
Bugger. Hope we don't go on a losing run from here...could ruin our season.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:48 pm

Errr actually, didn't our new Chairman say, only yesterday, there'd be no redundancies for a month? I guess this must've been "mutual consent" or something... :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:55 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Errr actually, didn't our new Chairman say, only yesterday, there'd be no redundancies for a month? I guess this must've been "mutual consent" or something... :-)
I'd have thought that the club would have to pay the remainder of their contracts out unless they've come to an arrangement. They won't be getting a week's money for every completed year anyway.
May the bridges I burn light your way