Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:33 am

Naturally left footed players in any position are assets. They don't breed them hybrid style like varieties of bananas (I've always been right footed but my brother, who was good enough to play for the military combined services football team, is left handed and footed). Right now it's all about proof of the pudding. Someone who's a star elsewhere may not work for us, and vice-versa.(Dapo and Fossey seem to have gone a bit quiet since leaving Bolton (I'll stand correction on that ?). Like the rest, I'm trusting Evatt and our scouts and coaches. The future looks considerably brighter than not too long ago.

Let's start off with a big positive....COME ON YOU WHITES....... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:04 am

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:09 am
The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:06 pm
Without knowing the players, based on various internet write ups, I think I’m now happy with our right side.

Can’t say I’m fully happy with the left, though. Randy began to show signs that he might be a worthy starter, but he really only had two or three good games, so hard to draw too many conclusions. John has shown himself to be wildly inconsistent, but consistently poor when it comes to defending, and I’m fairly certain Evatt doesn’t have him down as a starter.
Randell Williams came in with fitness issues on the back of an injury lay-off - With a pre-season under him and a fresh start, I think we saw enough glimpses to recognise that he could be an asset for us in this league. Another who'll need upgrading should we go up though
Yeah, I thought he was noticeably better in the last few games than his first few...hopefully the trend continues.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:13 am

I think Randell will come good. I thought he was better in the latter stages.

I’m also not as down on John as some. I think he offers stuff but there are limitations there. Mainly his work up and down the line isn’t as good as you’d like.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:35 am

I genuinely thought Vic was left footed which doesn't say much for his start :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:13 am
I think Randell will come good. I thought he was better in the latter stages.

I’m also not as down on John as some. I think he offers stuff but there are limitations there. Mainly his work up and down the line isn’t as good as you’d like.
I'm ok with Dec, as long an he and the coaching team can work with each other. It sort of feels like every window I expect us to unload (either because he wants to move or we want to move him), yet it ain't happened yet!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:14 am

Yeah DJ's alright. He does have quality, but he's not a hard runner, particularly quick and he doesn't stop crosses

What he can do, is pass in the final 3rd, good close control and times his runs well - Also scored a few!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:29 am

I like Randall and think we'll see the best from him this coming season. I do hope we utilise his long throws, if only occasionally.

Re DJ I just can't shake the feeling that he appears to want to be anywhere but here. Unless he's just generally a miserable, glass half empty kind of guy. Has he ever been seen in the same room as Insane?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:30 pm

Our boy Brommers breaks out the crayons (and applause): oh and the Daily Record says we've offered "a six-figure sum" for Baccus.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:23 pm

The only issue with John is that he plays for himself, not his teammates. You can see players lose it with him regularly.

"I'm here, the balls here, you should be there! Where's my cover?" sort of stuff. He just walks away and does exactly the same thing next time, because he won't make that "suffering" run so many managers talk about.

In "big" games he does it. When we're on TV or against a decent side, he'll make those runs and he looks great. Which is why I really don't like him; because he is good enough and he does know what he should be doing.

Drives me up the wall.

He's also really good in games where he doesn't have to defend, but he's not good enough in the final third to justify not bothering. If he had Wes Burns' numbers I'd put up with him, but he's nowhere near. He genuinely could be that level of player, he just can't be arsed.

He's much better than most squad depth in League One, but ideally I'd like to see him go elsewhere. One thing is that he'll be playing for a move/contract next season, in the last year of his deal; so he might actually show up regularly like he did on loan.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:30 pm
oh and the Daily Record says we've offered "a six-figure sum" for Baccus.
I'm all for us having the Nearly-god of wine and pleasure...might even buy a top!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:30 pm

Versatile forward Trevon Bryan joins the Bs from Burnley.
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2023/june/t ... -addition/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:55 pm
I'm all for us having the Nearly-god of wine and pleasure...might even buy a top!
Having a striker named for Dionysus also fits the theme.

Can we sign someone from KF Aegir?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:52 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:23 pm
The only issue with John is that he plays for himself, not his teammates. You can see players lose it with him regularly.

"I'm here, the balls here, you should be there! Where's my cover?" sort of stuff. He just walks away and does exactly the same thing next time, because he won't make that "suffering" run so many managers talk about.

In "big" games he does it. When we're on TV or against a decent side, he'll make those runs and he looks great. Which is why I really don't like him; because he is good enough and he does know what he should be doing.

Drives me up the wall.

He's also really good in games where he doesn't have to defend, but he's not good enough in the final third to justify not bothering. If he had Wes Burns' numbers I'd put up with him, but he's nowhere near. He genuinely could be that level of player, he just can't be arsed.

He's much better than most squad depth in League One, but ideally I'd like to see him go elsewhere. One thing is that he'll be playing for a move/contract next season, in the last year of his deal; so he might actually show up regularly like he did on loan.
Yep exactly this. He's a good player so if he stays then fine. But it does my nut in.

And while Randy showed flashes towards the end of the season, it would be good to have that improvement and competition. Left footers are hard though. One of the hardest positions for us to recruit to.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:53 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:51 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:55 pm
Having a striker named for Dionysus also fits the theme.

Can we sign someone from KF Aegir?
Decadent John

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:52 pm
Left footers are hard though. One of the hardest positions for us to recruit to.
Yeah, this is the issue. It always has and will be.

I live in hope that Norwich might be desperate enough to offload Placheta that they'd offer very favourable loan terms to anyone who'd take him.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:09 pm

Press coverage north and south of the border on Baccus has gone from "enquiring" to "working out terms."

Looks like that might be a goer.

I'll go out on a limb here and say I think that could quietly be the best business we do all summer, if it comes off.

If he really is available for half what Posh were demanding for Norburn then it's a steal.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:36 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:09 pm
Press coverage north and south of the border on Baccus has gone from "enquiring" to "working out terms."

Looks like that might be a goer.

I'll go out on a limb here and say I think that could quietly be the best business we do all summer, if it comes off.

If he really is available for half what Posh were demanding for Norburn then it's a steal.
Aye, Pete O'Rourke says we're thrashing it out, which as you say is progress

Need to get a move on, we ain't signed nobody today yet

Jonesing for fresh meat

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:55 pm

From what I’ve heard the usual journos who cover us are fairly sceptical on Baccus being that likely an option.

Who knows.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:55 pm
From what I’ve heard the usual journos who cover us are fairly sceptical on Baccus being that likely an option.

Who knows.
Time will tell.

St Mirren's end are insisting it's live, but there's always a chance you're being used to bait other bids. They, like Posh, actively want to sell players in the last year of the deal. They brought Baccus in hoping to flog him after a season.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:51 pm

I back us to bag Baccus.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!