Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:17 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:33 am
The issue with renewing Dempsey now is next season. There has to be space in the squad to improve the squad next time around, especially if we go up. It can be difficult to sell players (as we've found with John) and we've made a point of saying we won't force a player out if we can help it.

Assuming we sign Baccus and another midfielder on permanent deals then we will have all our 6 midfield choices (assuming MJ is a utility type) under contract past the summer. Whether we go up or not we will probably want to make changes in each compartment, so where do we change?

In attack Dad Bod is, in theory, currently an option to change over. Further back we have Jones, Johnston and possibly MJ (if we are counting him as Santos cover) expiring, so loads of space to improve things even if we get Johnston tied down.

Out wide we have John expiring currently.

Generally you want at least 3 players coming out of contract (or loans ending) so you can refresh things, even if it's going pretty well; because it can always be better. You also always want to have some kind of pathway to offer youth, if someone stands out in the 18s or Bs.

That's not to say we shouldn't renew Dempsey (I really like him), but all these choices present issues in one way or another. If we renew Dempsey then the optimal addition as an attacking mid (for squad building purposes) becomes a loanee or short-term veteran signing.

Assuming Baccus and Wilson do show up (just for the sake of argument), the squad map looks like this. Reds are expiring and blues are contracted beyond next summer.

bwfc squad map.png
Loving the screen grab Ghosty. It' a thing of beauty. 😁

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:02 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:16 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:40 pm
He adds to that group of players Evatt will believe he can coach into a foundation to build a Championship squad on.

The right build, technical ability and athleticism.

Johnston ideally needs to sign a new deal there. He's one Evatt marked as "a top Championship player" for the future.
From what I know he has the potential to be much better than Madine ever was and we got £6m for him.
Not for me…Madine had the nous to make the most of his ability. My fear from what I saw of Dan last season is his football brain isn’t good enough - too often in the wrong place or choosing the wrong option. Hopefully he will come good with coaching but he will be one hell of a late bloomer.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:32 pm

Yeah, I suspect most might think "there's something there, potentially." It needs to emerge!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:01 pm

Iles: Wilson delay is over fee, not fitness
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ne-wilson/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:40 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:17 am
Loving the screen grab Ghosty. It' a thing of beauty. 😁
The very finest in excel art, Worthy. Only the best for you lot.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:20 pm

I was under the impression Baccus is 10. Attacking midfielder behind the strikers type? Is this not the case?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:27 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:20 pm
I was under the impression Baccus is 10. Attacking midfielder behind the strikers type? Is this not the case?
No, more of a 6 in front of the defenders

From what I know

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:41 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:01 pm
Iles: Wilson delay is over fee, not fitness
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ne-wilson/
Flick AND Baccus is the really interesting bit, for me.

I said previously I've no idea how much and how quickly Evatt is looking o change things and that proves it. Fair play to them, as midfield competitiveness was a weakness and that's two lads who should dominate at League One level.

I still struggle to see how a loan for Flick works, given the hostility between agent and club over a new deal; but we'll see what goes on.

Wilson doesn't sound like that big a hurdle. Depends how long Evatt and Markham are prepared to wait on him. He's the best player in the market for our needs, so you'd suspect we'll be patient - especially as we always have another signed up there.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:46 pm

Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:27 pm

From what I know
I'm not up on A League football, but I'm told he played a more like an 8 over there. Certainly been asked to be more defensive for St Mirren and Australia - but then they're lesser sides at their respective levels.

With 3 centre backs and 2 strikers we don't really need a pure defensive or pure attacking midfielder, so they'll all fall somewhere along a spectrum I suppose.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:48 pm

Wonder if we can recoup some fees on George Thomason, given Sheehan signed a new deal. Be a good signing for someone in the lower half I think.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:33 pm

Wigan being strongly linked with Danny Mayor, who is supposedly the target of "several clubs."

Depending who you listen to the several includes Bolton, Pompey and Hibs.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:09 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:33 pm
Wigan being strongly linked with Danny Mayor, who is supposedly the target of "several clubs."

Depending who you listen to the several includes Bolton, Pompey and Hibs.
Isn't he the one who tried to nobble Sheehan?

Still, at least he's not the Thug, Cosgrove...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:36 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:09 pm
Isn't he the one who tried to nobble Sheehan?

Still, at least he's not the Thug, Cosgrove...
Yes.

Mayor's got that in him, which when he's on the other side is disgusting and when he plays for you is useful.

He's halfway between Lee's gritty experience and Shola's tricky dribbliness...so it's not one that makes you wonder how he'd fit in.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:38 pm

Age wise though he's 32. Not saying he couldn't do a job for us but doesn't exactly fit the money ball profile. Unless it's a case of promotion at all costs this season.
Last edited by sonicthewhite on Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:46 pm

Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:27 pm
Spartan2 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:20 pm

From what I know
Unless he can run enough to get into that advanced 10, he's not what I want. There be a fcuking big hole.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:06 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:38 pm
Age wise though he's 32. Not saying he couldn't do a job for us but doesn't exactly fit the money ball profile. Unless it's a case of promotion at all costs this season.
The suggestion seems to be that Mayor is an option, but we are chasing a bigger fish.

My view is that neither Flick nor Baccus have been used to their full potential in terms of what they can offer going forward, but I don't think either is a natural "him or Mayor" pick.

Submit your guesses at your own leisure - whilst remembering Messi has already signed for Miami.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:24 pm

I am hoping the number ten signing is the one that ignites the excitement - can see it being done later in the window, maybe a loanee who is having a pre season with a premier league club.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:09 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:24 pm
I am hoping the number ten signing is the one that ignites the excitement - can see it being done later in the window, maybe a loanee who is having a pre season with a premier league club.
I'm not going to be stunned if our N10 isn't a loan signing....

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:09 pm
I'm not going to be stunned if our N10 isn't a loan signing....
Is or isn't?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:13 am

It’s interesting because for me signing Baccus and Flick would show that Evatt is aware that our midfield last season wasn’t really good enough. He’s correct in that assessment. For me those two signings are potentially exciting ones in that we’d maybe adding that midfield control that we really did not have last season when it mattered. Barnsley showed it in crystal clear terms. Morley wasn’t really at the races, Dempsey is great when a team creates the tempo but far less so when he is expected to do it and George, MJ and Sheehan feel like specific role supporting cast to me.

Dominating the midfield area more and winning the ball back more and earlier will be infinitely better for our chances to score goals.

I think that what has been reported on Baccus and Flick that’s the idea. More like a Holden and Muamba situation that lets us really squeeze teams and win the ball back and then spring.

We’d all like some 20 goal a season man added and I wouldn’t rule that out either. But I suspect we will find an attacking midfield player coming in - maybe who can also play a false number 9 role to add flexibility.