Lost the last one, Boro chance to put it right

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: Lost the last one, Boro chance to put it right

Post by William the White » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:50 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I thought Mills did OK WtW. a few wayward balls but he's a no nonsense defender not Franz Beckenbauer. I think his passing is getting better as well, although it needed to!
I'm as unconvinced by him as I am by all the other CB options. I wouldn't single him out as exceptionally bad today - that accolade was won by another by some distance - but his distribution is dismal, his positional sense lacking and I wonder if 'no nonsense' is another way of saying 'crude'.

Sometimes, when i shut my eyes, I can remember Bergsson and Ngotty...

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:54 pm

I missed this one today, was travelling back from Scotland. Any match goers owning up to booing? It happens loads but I've not met anyone who admits it.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:56 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:I missed this one today, was travelling back from Scotland. Any match goers owning up to booing? It happens loads but I've not met anyone who admits it.
Not a chance, never! I was amongst the first to start clapping his every touch (although that didn't last long!) I will never boo my own team!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:03 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:I missed this one today, was travelling back from Scotland. Any match goers owning up to booing? It happens loads but I've not met anyone who admits it.
Never ever boo'd a player or even the team at the end.

Had a do with someone near me who was constantly at it earlier in the season.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:05 pm

clapton is god wrote:
Not a chance, never! I was amongst the first to start clapping his every touch (although that didn't last long!) I will never boo my own team!
that's why you're called Clapton!

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:12 pm

thebish wrote:
clapton is god wrote:
that's why you're called Clapton!
Still a few Christmas crackers knocking about, Bish? :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:23 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:Zat knight is going to be made to look even sillier than normal.
Soooo prophetic.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Tinker man strikes again!
Indeed. We'd just scored three away at the league leaders, so, at home against a side three places above us he drops both goalscorers. The man's a fecking knob!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Beefheart wrote:Hear Knight is getting booed by the home fans. I've never been a fan of his but what on earth does that achieve? Not really surprising from some of our fans though.
Exactly this. The sooner Knight leaves us the better, and he had a shocking first half today, but to boo his every touch was hardly likely to help him sort it out. Never have and never will boo a BWFC player regardless of how bad their game's going.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:55 pm

for their first - Knight showed some neat skill lifting it over the first guy, but then showed the touch of the proverbial to miscontrol it and present it to the 2nd - yes we can all jump on him - shit happens
for their 2nd - I'd blame lonergan more than knight, he was never going to get there and you could see knight pointing for him to stay - the rest is history.

the pantomime crowd then had their villain to boo. hang your heads in shame. FWIW I thought ZK played pretty well for the rest of the game

thought both our goals were good ones - given the goals he's scoring perhaps baptiste should be further up pitch

thought it was an open, end to end game (certainly not some of turgid dross we have endured), we had some good chances but didn't really work the keeper enough.

as to the team selection, as others have said a bit perplexing about moritz/ beckford. If we are only ever going to play 1 up top, as I said after the last home game Mason is not a player to use (neither is beckford). Ngog is the only one on our books who has the strength and skill to play that role. Have we not got anyone to play instead of chungy - his lack of directness and threat to the opposing FB is frustrating.

as to outcome, we really are in the mire. We've been told this week by both our manager and chairman to get used to the new reality - if something radical doesn't happen pdq we could be looking at another one

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:01 pm

But after we scored, the same idiots started cheering his every touch, like they were really witty. Ironic cheers, the press seem to call it, which suggests an intelligence that isn't there.
If people want to express their displeasure at the end of the game, that's up to them, though it's not for me. Anyone who boos a player during a game for making a mistake or not being very good is a fecking moron. But then, there are a lot of them at football matches unfortunately.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:09 pm

LeverEnd wrote:But after we scored, the same idiots started cheering his every touch, like they were really witty. Ironic cheers, the press seem to call it, which suggests an intelligence that isn't there.
If people want to express their displeasure at the end of the game, that's up to them, though it's not for me. Anyone who boos a player during a game for making a mistake or not being very good is a fecking moron. But then, there are a lot of them at football matches unfortunately.
thought there were some doing that (like happened to bogdan) but I thought because ZK actually did some good play there was an larger element of genuine support drowning out the f***wits

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:16 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:But after we scored, the same idiots started cheering his every touch, like they were really witty. Ironic cheers, the press seem to call it, which suggests an intelligence that isn't there.
thought there were some doing that (like happened to bogdan) but I thought because ZK actually did some good play there was an larger element of genuine support drowning out the f***wits
?'
True as well. I thought he played well apart from the obvious. Some dick near me shouted 'why yer clappin im?!'

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:18 pm

Thought we panned 'em for about 70 of the 90 minutes to be honest. Really intense and entertaining game. 2 clusterfucks the only difference between a draw and a comfortable win.

The treatment Zat got was disgusting but he cost is dear. Played well after and credit for taking it on the chin, but too little too late.

Mills held the defence together yet again with the shit either side of him. Spearing needs dropping as it's like playing with 10 men. Mark Davies looks short, but was still a stand out player for us. Chungy playing himself into a bit of form and Eagles was good for an hour.

Some positives in there, but some negatives too. (Jay, Mason on his Todd, Ream & Knight)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:19 pm

William the White wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:I thought Mills did OK WtW. a few wayward balls but he's a no nonsense defender not Franz Beckenbauer. I think his passing is getting better as well, although it needed to!
I'm as unconvinced by him as I am by all the other CB options. I wouldn't single him out as exceptionally bad today - that accolade was won by another by some distance - but his distribution is dismal, his positional sense lacking and I wonder if 'no nonsense' is another way of saying 'crude'.

Apart from winning absolutely everything, you're judging his performance in how he passes the ball? A centre back?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:32 pm

boltonboris wrote:
William the White wrote:

Apart from winning absolutely everything, you're judging his performance in how he passes the ball? A centre back?
fwiw my observations on this is that because of the lack of movement and showing for the ball, our possession football (which consists of CH knocking to FB or CM who then knocks it back to CH) leaves Mills and Knight with very few options and having to fulfill the role of quarterback, firing 50-60 yd crossfield balls for chungy/ eagles to battle for. doesn't make for a very high pass completion rate

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:47 pm

boltonboris wrote: Apart from winning absolutely everything, you're judging his performance in how he passes the ball? A centre back?
You think it too much to ask of someone that does nothing other than kick a football for a sumptuous living than for him to kick it to someone wearing the same coloured kit, or at least knock it in their general direction?. Mills' distribution is nothing better than Sunday league.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:49 pm

boltonboris wrote:Thought we panned 'em for about 70 of the 90 minutes to be honest. Really intense and entertaining game. 2 clusterfucks the only difference between a draw and a comfortable win.

The treatment Zat got was disgusting but he cost is dear. Played well after and credit for taking it on the chin, but too little too late.

Mills held the defence together yet again with the shit either side of him. Spearing needs dropping as it's like playing with 10 men. Mark Davies looks short, but was still a stand out player for us. Chungy playing himself into a bit of form and Eagles was good for an hour.

Some positives in there, but some negatives too. (Jay, Mason on his Todd, Ream & Knight)
If we can get a centre half in I think replacing Spearing with Ream would be a plan. I like Ream as a footballer but don't trust him as a defender. Thought he did well today though. Need McN back ASAP if possible.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
boltonboris wrote: Apart from winning absolutely everything, you're judging his performance in how he passes the ball? A centre back?
You think it too much to ask of someone that does nothing other than kick a football for a sumptuous living than for him to kick it to someone wearing the same coloured kit, or at least knock it in their general direction?. Mills' distribution is nothing better than Sunday league.
At least when he kicks it to the opposition it's up the other end of the pitch and not in front of our own goal. This elevates him above our other centre halves.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:56 pm

DOUGIE FREEDMAN: "We look back on the game and we’re disappointed because we’ve had enough chances to win, but if you gift a team two goals then you’re going to find it difficult to win."