Owl we get on, on Saturday?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Owl we get on, on Saturday?

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:03 am

EverSoYouri wrote:Listened in to Radio Manchester post-match. What struck me was, when Simon Charlton was put on the spot by a caller (on whether Freedman should go), he didn't do the usual ex-pro thing of 'not for me to say'. His view was that the players don't seem to 'trust' (Charlton's word) the manager, and so aren't committing to his tactics.
Which was the same as McGinley last time. Iles is barely holding his opinion and Dearden also.

I assume these people have contact with some players so it's more than "people who don't understand football" having a whinge.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:04 am

I really hop[e Dougie is hearing the bagpipes and saying yes. They'll welcome him with open arms.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:06 am

LeverEnd wrote:The false bravado in that interview was pitiful. Totally lost it.
What was that bizarre ramble about having to manage the whole club and there being a wider agenda than simply results ?

He must be close to a breakdown. Sacking him will be merely us fulfilling our duty of care to the poor fckr.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:17 am

bobo the clown wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:The false bravado in that interview was pitiful. Totally lost it.
What was that bizarre ramble about having to manage the whole club and there being a wider agenda than simply results ?
With the amount of empty seats yesterday, pretty soon there won't be anything left to manage.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:18 am

bobo the clown wrote:

He must be close to a breakdown. Sacking him will be merely us fulfilling our duty of care to the poor fckr.
It's a really weird statement as without the results then everything else will eventually fail???
Does anybody know if he's still involved in his "other" business. I think it was something to do with opportunities for footballers after football ( I may be wrong though). I just wondered if he considers himself more than just a manager and is taking on some of the business aspects of the club?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:23 am

↑↑↑↑ I took it to be that he has a budget and so sees himself as a business manager rather than 'merely' involved with what happens on the football pitch itself. If so he's deluding himself.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:01 pm

bobo the clown wrote:↑↑↑↑ I took it to be that he has a budget and so sees himself as a business manager rather than 'merely' involved with what happens on the football pitch itself. If so he's deluding himself.
This is how I took it. Wonder what Gartside or ED think about these types of comments. Out of interest, exactly how much is a manager involved in transfers and contract negotiations? Surely it's the chairman who decides how much a player is on, admittedly the manager can give guidelines as to a players value and how long a contract they should give the player but surely it's not the manager who deals with the finance side of this? Fir me this is a double-edged sword as if it's true, then WTF is Gartside doing letting a manager sort the finances out and no wonder the money situation is shit. Or its Dougie fooling himself into believing he is dealing with the financial stuff and Gartside is letting him say this as it keeps the daggers from his own back. Either way it surely can't be right???? :conf:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:21 pm

↑↑↑↑ Freedman is bewildered by it & so fooling himself that it all falls on him. This is the cry of middle managers who are out of their depth the whole World over.

He's pleading for love & understanding. He'd get it if we had 16 points from 18 instead of 2.

He honestly has no idea what the fck he's up to, how to change it or what's going wrong.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:45 pm

bobo the clown wrote:↑↑↑↑ Freedman is bewildered by it & so fooling himself that it all falls on him. This is the cry of middle managers who are out of their depth the whole World over.

He's pleading for love & understanding. He'd get it if we had 16 points from 18 instead of 2.

He honestly has no idea what the fck he's up to, how to change it or what's going wrong.
So to summarise, Freedman is David Brent!!!!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:48 pm

He's trying to deflect from the results by referring to the 'bigger picture', i.e. bringing down the wage bill and developing youngsters who can trun a profit when sold on. We won't know about the latter for a couple of years really and as for the former it's a n excuse for not troubling the top two, but not for being in the bottom 3 while playing dull and negative football which drives the fans away.
My mate who I was there with yesterday is convinced that they'll let him run down his contract no matter how bad results get. I disagree. A couple more defeats without any wins and I think they will have sack him and will do so.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm sat in a hotel room in ho Chi minh, jet lagged and struggling to find how to stop my roaming profile on this tablet to read about what I thought might be a brand new dawn. God knows how much it's just cost me to check. Wish I hadn't bothered. Same old same old :(
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:41 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I'm sat in a hotel room in ho Chi minh, jet lagged and struggling to find how to stop my roaming profile on this tablet to read about what I thought might be a brand new dawn. God knows how much it's just cost me to check. Wish I hadn't bothered. Same old same old :(

Is this lifted from the sequel to Apocalypse Now?

...The Macron...The horror...the horror....

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:48 pm

Didn't know where to post this but Iles has posted on Twitter that he has some "exciting news for Bolton fans" about 6mins ago. Dougie gone or possibly a striker
Pfffft.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:02 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Didn't know where to post this but Iles has posted on Twitter that he has some "exciting news for Bolton fans" about 6mins ago. Dougie gone or possibly a striker
It'd have to be Messi and Dougie gone to get anything above apathy at the moment!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:06 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:Didn't know where to post this but Iles has posted on Twitter that he has some "exciting news for Bolton fans" about 6mins ago. Dougie gone or possibly a striker
It'd have to be Messi and Dougie gone to get anything above apathy at the moment!
We can but hope, though I doubt his being binned would be worded as "exciting". Albeit that it WOULD be exciting, it's not quite the word I'd expect to be used.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:06 pm

Have to say I'm below underwhelmed...

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _/?ref=mac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:10 pm

We're probably replacing Lofty the Lion with Larry the Lamb.

To the slaughter we go...

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:26 pm

Exciting news? ???? Dear me

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:34 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:Exciting news? ???? Dear me
The curse of 24hr news access. Having to try and big-up everything that happens.

A 20yr old with 4th division experience. By all accounts a decent prospect and a 35 yr old keeper to cover for Bogdan's finger injury till Christmas. Sensible, to be fair, but "exciting" ???

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Fecking hell we are turning it on now.

5000+ on the attendance against Rotherham now.

Excellent work.